Notices
Performance Series Audi Models R8, S4, RS4, S5, RS5, S6, RS6, & S8 Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi R8 Private Drive - Dallas

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Post Audi R8 Private Drive - Dallas

Audi R8 Private Drive

Dallas, Texas

I was lucky enough to receive an invite by Audi for their R8 Private Drive event in Dallas. I'm a long-time Porsche lover (and still am), but any opportunity to take a great car on the road is appreciated. We were given a brief 20 minute prep presentation and then went out for a group drive for two 20-minute sessions around Dallas (highways, city streets).

Since my GTS is a 6spd, I chose a 6-spd manual when I completed my reservation. I expected to be driving V8 coupes, but when we went out to get in our cars, I was thrilled to see the line of V10 Coupes and Convertibles. I did see one V8 Spyder, but that was it. Apparently they knew my favorite color, because we were lucky enough to be assigned the Sepang Blue with Silver Side Blades. What a gorgeous car!!!

Driving Impressions:

* WOW.
* Great Sound...absolutely astonishing. Who needs a stereo in this car? What else would you possibly want to listen to? Other than Traffic Reports...
* Great Interior (it is an Audi)...but much less legroom than the 997. My friend is 6'5" and he struggled to fit in it, which is a shame, because he would (and could) buy one on the spot if only there was another 2-3 inches.
* The drive is so much smoother than a 997. Even with the suspension set to firm, it was better than a 997 is normal mode.
* Triple digits happen very quickly, and without really noticing. I could not own this car as I'd be put behind bars.
* This could easily be a daily driver...it rides that well.
* Smaller Frunk than 997.
* Driving these cars is more of an 'event' than a 997.
* While a 997 TT is probably 'faster' than the R8, the R8 feels much more planted and stable.

After all is said and done, I'd love to have one of these in my garage, but need more income as I wouldn't feel right driving it daily.

But what a car...I'm more impressed than I expected to be. You R8 people should count yourself lucky...because I consider myself lucky for the 20-minute drive I received. Thank You Audi USA. I might just walk into your dealership when the time comes.

Attached Images     
Old 11-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Winchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond repute
Nice little review of the car! LOVE the color as well, but it looks silly with the silver sideblades; it should have the CF ones in my opinion.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:29 PM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
wicked post mate...the color combo you got for the day is a real nice one!

Old 11-20-2011, 03:46 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Great review! Thanks DC!

Old 11-21-2011, 02:36 AM
Teamspeed Pro
hg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant future
my favourite colour and rims
thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Old 11-21-2011, 05:54 AM
Teamspeed Pro
670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute
nice review, i don't think you should get rid of the GTS..just keep it

Old 11-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by 670-SV
nice review, i don't think you should get rid of the GTS..just keep it
Not a chance of getting rid of the GTS, but that V10 was fun!

Old 11-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
The R8 is a brilliant car. Very underrated in the "performance DD" category.. Would take it any day over a 911 for those duties. Glad you enjoyed!

Old 11-21-2011, 07:41 PM
KT
I give good hugs. Bo, you're first.
KT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond repute
Nice, I liked hearing your take..thanks for sharing.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond repute
Sepang is gorgeous!

Quick Reply: Audi R8 Private Drive - Dallas