Notices
Performance Series Audi Models R8, S4, RS4, S5, RS5, S6, RS6, & S8 Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi R8 Private Drive - Dallas

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 08:46 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by cstroked
The R8 is a brilliant car. Very underrated in the "performance DD" category.. Would take it any day over a 911 for those duties. Glad you enjoyed!
I will admit, it drove much better than my 997...much more comfortable. Maybe the 991 is supposed to decrease that gap...but I'm not yet attracted to the 991...at all.

If only there was a way to fit a set of clubs behind the seats...

Old 11-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute
So what makes you think that you couldn't DD the R8 V10? Too much money to keep it up, too many miles to decrease the value..... I'm lost I really like the V10 as well and I'm contemplating this or the 997.2 Turbo in a few years...

Old 11-21-2011, 10:06 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Actually, I probably wouldn't have any problem with an R8 as a DD, just not convinced it would fit real well into my lifestyle. Basically:

* no rear seats (have a young daughter that I drive around daily)
* entry/exit angles from my driveway
* no plans for a 3rd family car to use when R8 won't do the job
* absolutely inappropriate to drive to/from customer appointments and my office garage. The 911 is already pushing it...

Don't get me wrong, the R8 is the best 'Supercar' I've seen that could be used as a DD (997 TT is right there with it). In fact, that was the central theme of the R8 event I attended: the DD ability and relative cost effectiveness of the car. I'm just not convinced it's a good fit for my particular situation.

Now give me a few more years when the daughter is driving, we consider a different home and (hopefully) my career has progressed to allow for something like this...and I might take a closer look at a mid-engined 2-seater 'supercar'.

But after that event, I kind of have this dream of getting a call from Audi with a real sweet deal....

Old 11-21-2011, 10:08 PM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
Originally Posted by 997carrerasblk06
So what makes you think that you couldn't DD the R8 V10? Too much money to keep it up, too many miles to decrease the value..... I'm lost I really like the V10 as well and I'm contemplating this or the 997.2 Turbo in a few years...
Audi Care can be applied to R8s, at least you used to be able to get it. The cost of Audi Care is less than the cost of a yearly 911 service as I recall, and it covers the 5yrs/45,000mi of scheduled maintenance. 911s are brilliant but in my mind there's no contest.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute
I guess I am just lucky no kids....totally agree the 911 no matter which one (minus the GT cars) are very understated but still a fantastic car and fast when you want them to be. I agree as far as curb appeal I would go with the R8, I just love the "light" feeling of a 911 though. We will see once I test drive the two.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by cstroked
Audi Care can be applied to R8s, at least you used to be able to get it. The cost of Audi Care is less than the cost of a yearly 911 service as I recall, and it covers the 5yrs/45,000mi of scheduled maintenance. 911s are brilliant but in my mind there's no contest.
They actually commented on the availability of AudiCare for the R8. It really was a compelling story for the car. I was more than impressed...and drinking the R8 Kool-Aid.

Also, my driving habits don't really prohibit in terms of annual mileage or depreciation as I only drive about 7500 miles per year. That's probably much more than most R8s see, but that's also the point of the event: this car is more than ready for that kind of use.

If truly given a viable opportunity to get into one, the most difficult obstacle would be my wife...which may not be an obstacle at all because she loves the R8 and it rides so much better than my 997. Just no rear seat...

Old 11-21-2011, 10:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by dallascajun
If truly given a viable opportunity to get into one, the most difficult obstacle would be my wife...
I guess I am lucky in this respect.... We have talked about having multiple cars or me just having one (nice) car and a DD and the same for her.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
I guess I am just lucky no kids....totally agree the 911 no matter which one (minus the GT cars) are very understated but still a fantastic car and fast when you want them to be. I agree as far as curb appeal I would go with the R8, I just love the "light" feeling of a 911 though. We will see once I test drive the two.
Personally, I think the 991 is the absolute pinnacle of DD sports cars as it really does allow for everyday use, the R8 is just a much more exclusive version of a DD with somewhat reduced functionality. While 911s get some attention around town, R8s can't go anywhere incognito.

BTW: I like your history of cars. I had an 04 GTO as well. What a fun car for the price. And the Holden interior was so superior to typical GM.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:25 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
I guess I am lucky in this respect.... We have talked about having multiple cars or me just having one (nice) car and a DD and the same for her.
The way I see it, I'm lucky to A) have a great wife and B) have a wife that 'allows' me to have a car like a 911 in the first place. We've already agreed that once my 911 is paid for, I'm getting another vehicle as my DD that is more 'practical' like a used Cayenne or Panamera.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:35 PM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
Originally Posted by dallascajun
They actually commented on the availability of AudiCare for the R8. It really was a compelling story for the car. I was more than impressed...and drinking the R8 Kool-Aid.

Also, my driving habits don't really prohibit in terms of annual mileage or depreciation as I only drive about 7500 miles per year. That's probably much more than most R8s see, but that's also the point of the event: this car is more than ready for that kind of use.

If truly given a viable opportunity to get into one, the most difficult obstacle would be my wife...which may not be an obstacle at all because she loves the R8 and it rides so much better than my 997. Just no rear seat...
The residual on that car makes no sense to me, definitely not a good car to lease. I can barely find an 08 listed for what I sold one for in 2010. I recently checked auction and the 09s are hovering right at 100k in most cases. Not that bad of depreciation all things considered.

Quick Reply: Audi R8 Private Drive - Dallas