Notices
Performance Series Audi Models R8, S4, RS4, S5, RS5, S6, RS6, & S8 Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My impressions after 1 week R8V10

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 05:58 PM
Teamspeed Member
GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
My impressions after 1 week R8V10

I’ve had my car for a week now and wanted to give my impressions. Only plan right now is to change the wheels to stock V10 Y-spokes.

Background info
I’ll start by admitting I’m not a good driver by any means. My first sporty car was a 2006 Cayman S last March. It was my first manual car (had 3 lessons on another car, then learned from there on the Cayman). The cayman CPO warranty would be up next Spring so I ended up placing an order for an R8 V8 to be delivered later this year but then came across a used V10 for similar price… had to test drive it immediately and I was SOLD! Big thanks to my sales guy for helping to cancel the original order so I could get the V10!! Unfortunately, I haven’t driven many other cars so I can’t offer real comparisons except to the cayman.

Summary: WOW!!
I’ll start with a summary so you can skip the boring details. Overall, all I can say is WOW! This car is everything I could’ve asked for in a car, and more! The acceleration is out of this world, the sound is intoxicating – not so loud that it would be obnoxious… just perfect. It’s also quiet enough at low RPM that you can slowly cruise if required. It’s super comfortable and the ride quality is superb… leagues ahead of the Cayman. The fit and finish is top notch. Love the gated shifter. The brakes are insanely powerful too.

Interior
I have the full leather package with some CF trim and it is amazing. Every surface feels and looks amazing. The gated shifter is really neat and the sound is awesome! I miss a few shifts here and there but it’s worth it It has B&O sound with an aftermarket Audison amplifier and is by far the best sound system I’ve heard in any car… unfortunately I don’t really feel like listening to it very often hah! I’ve never used the shelf behind the seats yet but there seems to be space for a few small items. Front trunk seems similar size to Cayman and can fit some groceries etc

Comfort
This car is VERY comfortable. I’m average size at 6’ and fit without any issues. My taller friends also find it much more spacious than the Cayman. I have the leather seats which fit perfectly as well. Getting in/out is a bit of a hassle since it’s so low. Also, due to it being low I find I need to open the doors quite wide to get out comfortably.

Driving
Power!! (nothing more to say)

The revs on this car go up/down WAY faster than the Cayman. When accelerating it feels like the revs accelerate with the car! I can’t believe how quickly it reaches redline. All my up shifts were slow at first because I was used to the Cayman.

The car really feels like it’s stuck on the road. The cayman handles well, but this car puts it to shame. I can easily make turns at much higher speed and feel more stable than in the cayman. The brakes are super powerful. I felt like a beginner driver again with jerky stops during the test drive and even now sometimes when I forget how good they are.

The sound as I said before is out of this world. The perfect sound for a car IMO

The car draws a lot of attention - much more than the cayman. Personal choice whether this is good or bad.

Negatives
I think this has ruined every future car for me

I’m sure I missed things, so any questions just ask!

And of course photos… some from dealer, some my own:

Here are two sample photos I found (not my car) with V10 wheels

Last edited by GuOD; 08-30-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:04 PM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
Sir thank you for the review was simple and to the point.

Congrats again on such a beautiful purchase.

The Silver Blade on Black WORKS very well...one the ONLY colors the Silver doesnt make the car look cheap.

CANNOT wait to see it with the V10 wheels...

Old 08-30-2011, 06:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
jmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond reputejmusser3r has a reputation beyond repute
Nice review of the car. Sounds like you are really enjoying it so far. I think it will look even better when you add the stock V10 wheels to it. Enjoy in good health

Old 08-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Axxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats. Must be a big step up from a cayman.

Interesting wheels. Those are not offered for the R8 line. What happened to the stock R8 wheels?

Old 08-30-2011, 06:09 PM
Teamspeed Member
GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by McRae
Sir thank you for the review was simple and to the point.

Congrats again on such a beautiful purchase.

The Silver Blade on Black WORKS very well...one the ONLY colors the Silver doesnt make the car look cheap.

CANNOT wait to see it with the V10 wheels...
Added two photos I found with V10 wheels

Originally Posted by Axxlrod
Congrats. Must be a big step up from a cayman.

Interesting wheels. Those are not offered for the R8 line. What happened to the stock R8 wheels?
These are a $500 option in Canada since MY2010 I think. I think they're optional in US also but not in the configurator.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:11 PM
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
ONLY other thing id change is to tint the ugly NA side markers...notice in one the pics you added after there is none...Euro spec WIN!!!

Old 08-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Teamspeed Member
Originally Posted by McRae
ONLY other thing id change is to tint the ugly NA side markers...notice in one the pics you added after there is none...Euro spec WIN!!!
Ha, I think we have very similar tastes. I considered doing this when I had the windows tinted but decided not to... but they're bugging me still so I might do it. I just don't want it to be too dark and look "dirty". The red ones I don't mind

Old 08-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Axxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GuOD
These are a $500 option in Canada since MY2010 I think. I think they're optional in US also but not in the configurator.
Interesting.

I like the V8 wheels the best (the ones in my avatar) but they all look good.

Congrats.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:18 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Congratulations. She's a beautiful beast.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by GuOD
Ha, I think we have very similar tastes. I considered doing this when I had the windows tinted but decided not to... but they're bugging me still so I might do it. I just don't want it to be too dark and look "dirty". The red ones I don't mind
CLEAN n MEAN is the right look for an R8...keep us posted on the future mods...such a good looking R8 good sir.

Quick Reply: My impressions after 1 week R8V10