Notices
Performance Series Audi Models R8, S4, RS4, S5, RS5, S6, RS6, & S8 Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.2 V8 Timing Chain Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Former Sponsor
Kai@EliteMotorsports is a name known to allKai@EliteMotorsports is a name known to allKai@EliteMotorsports is a name known to allKai@EliteMotorsports is a name known to allKai@EliteMotorsports is a name known to allKai@EliteMotorsports is a name known to allKai@EliteMotorsports is a name known to allKai@EliteMotorsports is a name known to allKai@EliteMotorsports is a name known to allKai@EliteMotorsports is a name known to allKai@EliteMotorsports is a name known to all
4.2 V8 Timing Chain Rebuild

Hello Teamspeed Audi forum. I just wanted to show you guys some pictures of a car/motor that we've been tearing apart and doing an overhaul on due to the customer bringing in the car for it not idling and being driveable at all in which we believed it was a timing chain tensioner & guide issue.

Onto the pics...
Here is the first picture with the car with the engine/transmission removed.

We took of the rear cover and this is the first thing we found. One of the chain guides were broken on the left bank.

New guides etc installed waiting on new adjusters

Upon further inspection and taking apart the tensioner/adjuster itself we have found that there are spots of extensive wear which has caused the cam to be not aligned as seen below

Old 04-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Axxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting. Isn't this car still under warranty? Is the local dealer not capable of finding/fixing the problem?

Old 04-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Former Sponsor
Kai@EliteMotorsports is a name known to allKai@EliteMotorsports is a name known to allKai@EliteMotorsports is a name known to allKai@EliteMotorsports is a name known to allKai@EliteMotorsports is a name known to allKai@EliteMotorsports is a name known to allKai@EliteMotorsports is a name known to allKai@EliteMotorsports is a name known to allKai@EliteMotorsports is a name known to allKai@EliteMotorsports is a name known to allKai@EliteMotorsports is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Axxlrod
Interesting. Isn't this car still under warranty? Is the local dealer not capable of finding/fixing the problem?
This particular car is not under warranty and dealer doesn't even want to bother with it, they tried selling the customer a brand new motor.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:14 PM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Goddamn! Do you know if it requires that much work to access the timing belted 4.2s too? With the engine out? I am having my belt done with everything involving it next week over a leaking crankshaft seal and am curious whether I should prepare for Ramen's for the rest of the year . . .

Old 04-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by jox
Goddamn! Do you know if it requires that much work to access the timing belted 4.2s too? With the engine out? I am having my belt done with everything involving it next week over a leaking crankshaft seal and am curious whether I should prepare for Ramen's for the rest of the year . . .
The timing belt service much simpler to do on the belted 4.2's so don't worry.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:03 PM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kai@EliteMotorsports
The timing belt service much simpler to do on the belted 4.2's so don't worry.
Would it be weird if I moved overseas to Long Island, just so I could consider you my local shop and talk over Teamspeed?

Old 04-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by jox
Would it be weird if I moved overseas to Long Island, just so I could consider you my local shop and talk over Teamspeed?
You don't have to move, just ship the car over! It'll be easier on you

Old 04-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
crazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond repute
Seeing as I have an interest in this car (I have a timing chain 4.2) I am curious about this engine.

How many miles are on this engine?

What were the symptoms that made you think that there were problems?

Did you do anything else while the engine was out, i.e. JHM Headers or clutch and light weight flywheel? If not I would recommend that the owner look into these since the motor is already out and a motor pull is required to install either of those parts.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by crazy1323
Seeing as I have an interest in this car (I have a timing chain 4.2) I am curious about this engine.

How many miles are on this engine?

What were the symptoms that made you think that there were problems?

Did you do anything else while the engine was out, i.e. JHM Headers or clutch and light weight flywheel? If not I would recommend that the owner look into these since the motor is already out and a motor pull is required to install either of those parts.
This issue is mostly common on the early 2004 build dates. Symptoms were excessive misfiring to the point of the car being undriveable.

He wasn't interested in any other modifications, just wanted the car running 'right'.

Last edited by Kai@EliteMotorsports; 04-28-2011 at 04:10 PM.