Notices
Performance Series Audi Models R8, S4, RS4, S5, RS5, S6, RS6, & S8 Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S Tronic

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Tommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond repute
Ummm....I think your on crack.

SMG=crap

Sure the tranny will shift for you at redline because it is a failsafe designed to prevent the driver from bouncing off of the rev limiter. That is not a design flaw by any means

The S Tronic transmissions are quite fast and smooth if you know how to drive them and know how they behave. Have you driven the new S4 or read any of the reviews on its S Tronic? The transmission is getting outstanding reviews and so is the unit in the RS5

And why would Porsche AG use Audis DSG technology when designing their PDK tranny if it were so slow at shifting??

Old 10-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Tommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond reputeTommy6030 has a reputation beyond repute
Stuka, what year I'd the A3 your are driving? Some of them do have mechatronics unit updates due for DSG jerkiness. I wonder if your rental is one of them...

Old 10-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tommy6030
Ummm....I think your on crack.

SMG=crap

Sure the tranny will shift for you at redline because it is a failsafe designed to prevent the driver from bouncing off of the rev limiter. That is not a design flaw by any means

The S Tronic transmissions are quite fast and smooth if you know how to drive them and know how they behave. Have you driven the new S4 or read any of the reviews on its S Tronic? The transmission is getting outstanding reviews and so is the unit in the RS5

And why would Porsche AG use Audis DSG technology when designing their PDK tranny if it were so slow at shifting??
You didn't even read my post did you?

Upshifting at redline is crap. Try driving a car that upshifts for you at an Autox, and see how you like it.

And I have had lots of track time in an E46 M3 with SMG, it does not lag in S5 or S6.

And BTW, PDK is not the same as the Audi stuff, not by a long shot.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tommy6030
Stuka, what year I'd the A3 your are driving? Some of them do have mechatronics unit updates due for DSG jerkiness. I wonder if your rental is one of them...
Brand new, rolled off the truck yesterday rental with 60 miles on it.

Tt is the normal DSG, because it rev matches perfectly on downshifts.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by stuka
You didn't even read my post did you?

Upshifting at redline is crap. Try driving a car that upshifts for you at an Autox, and see how you like it.

And I have had lots of track time in an E46 M3 with SMG, it does not lag in S5 or S6.

And BTW, PDK is not the same as the Audi stuff, not by a long shot.
I didn't say that PDK and S tronic are the same unit. But, Audi has had DSG for over 6 years now on the road and Porsche used a lot of what Audi had done to develop PDK for their road cars

Last edited by Tommy6030; 10-28-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by stuka
Brand new, rolled off the truck yesterday rental with 60 miles on it.

Tt is the normal DSG, because it rev matches perfectly on downshifts.
Yea it should have the latest unit in it so who knows what's up with it.

And I've also done many autocross events including one in a Z4 with SMG and it was awful. I've also tracked with R Tronic and S Tronic and had no issues with the car wanting to shift for me

We can go back and forth all day but we aren't going to agree.

We also just traded an E46 M3 at our store with SMG and it is the roughest shifting machine I've ever been in. Hop out of that and into a B8 S4 and they are night and day...

Thats why I'm not a fan of SMG and never will be. Plus I believe the A3 DSG shifts in 8 milliseconds which is lightning fast

Last edited by Tommy6030; 10-28-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Personally, after spending enough time with the SMG I get it and LIKE it. It requires your attention, like a m/t car. And works best in the fastest M mode. You can do throttle lift with it like a m/t.

Oh wait............it IS a m/t..............just hydraulically assisted.

Double Clutch Transmissions are sewing machine efficient and .............boring.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
Personally, after spending enough time with the SMG I get it and LIKE it. It requires your attention, like a m/t car. And works best in the fastest M mode. You can do throttle lift with it like a m/t.

Oh wait............it IS a m/t..............just hydraulically assisted.

Double Clutch Transmissions are sewing machine efficient and .............boring.
Very well said and true. SMG is just like E gear and R Tronic which always get slammed for being too clunky. DSGs are very fast, but are not as engaging and will never be. They are designed to up shift and downshift with the fastest possible time

Last edited by Tommy6030; 10-28-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Fuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond repute
My Wife's 08 A3 with the DSG (I think) shifts great. Paddle shifters are quick, and matches downshifts pretty good...

Old 10-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
You have to drive S-Tronic in Sport mode (the "S" at the bottom). It makes all the difference...

I had an A3 w/S-Tronic - I know of what I speak.

Quick Reply: S Tronic