Notices
Performance Series Audi Models R8, S4, RS4, S5, RS5, S6, RS6, & S8 Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I post this already? My new RS6...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Alex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond repute
Did I post this already? My new RS6...

Bought this bad-boy a couple of months ago...

1500 miles on the clock and 1 month old.

Traded in my Audi S3 Abt for something more 'sensible'

First impressions

The car is very light to drive at slow speeds and then the steering gains more weight the faster you go. The 'largeness' of the car was soon acclimatized to, so that was good.

The auto gearbox is laggy in 'drive' and only really any good for fuel economy - very very smooth though. The gearbox in auto 'sport' mode is much more aggressive, even blipping a little on the down changes. My favourite though are the manual flappy paddles on the steering wheel. Very responsive and great fun. Sticking the car in 2nd and getting up towards 7000 rpm generates a heavenly noise (albeit a little muted) from the V10 engine.

Noise wise, I was hoping for more roar from the V10 (from the Lambo LP560-4). I guess though then it's hard to hear the TV as you go along then

The engine itself isn't as quick as I thought it was going to be. Plenty fast though still for a family car, and I am accustomed now to 800Nm torque in a car weighing 500kg less (my Turbo) so it's not surprising I am not blown away. I found the car actually seems to get faster AFTER 100 though! You suddenly have to jump on the breaks as it's so smooth it's incredibly deceiving how fast you are actually going. Doing 70mph on the motorway seems like it's 50mph. I can see how this car could happily sit at the 174mph limiter.

The luxury levels are excellent too, Silver white leather seats which are very very comfy and lots of room in the back - friends and family members are already booking rides to be chauffeured.

Other gadgets like freeview TV reception, radar guided adaptive cruise control, rear parking cameras and guidelines, etc etc are all goodies that great fun. Only downside is the amount of time I spend NOT looking at the road ahead!

The fuel economy is a bit scary. ½ tank (40L) says only 150 miles left! I wasn’t driving fast at all on the way home so I hope it’s just settling. 5L V10 twin Turbo for you though!!!

Further impressions a week later

Fantastic on the motorway, fantastic on the back roads! The single downside was the 24mpg I only achieved on the motorway - that's worse than my Turbo which does about 28mpg on the motorways.
Some pics:

I am feeling a bit guilty over my neglected Turbo at the moment as I only want to drive the RS6 all the time! I am having so much fun it it with the power, the engine and the fantastic Tiptronic gearbox (way better than Porsche's offering). I suppose the weather has been pretty rubbish here over the last month so not really 911 weather.

Me and the Mrs are planning a trip up to the Peak district and another to Australia in the next couple of months, and I am seriously considering taking the RS6 over the Turbo!

September update

I did a touring holiday to Austria in the RS6 with the Mrs. Across the Germany Autobahns it was great - 170mph in a flash, and very stable. Left everything else I met on the road as a spot in my rear view mirror (Porsches/Mercs/BMWs/etc). Great fun!

I kept to sensible speeds on the French Autoroutes though and just stuck the car in radar cruise-control. I don't think I touched ANY pedals between petrol refills for the whole of France!

October update

I was taken out in a Porsche Panamera Turbo for a test drive. I found it quite funny when the sales guy put his foot down and expected me to start swooning at the acceleration! Not with what I am use to...

On a scale of 1-10 for relative G forces:

Normal cars = 1
My old Audi S3 = 4
My old Porsche Carrera S = 5
Porsche Panamera Turbo = 6
My Audi RS6 Avant = 7
My Porsche 997 Turbo (old: stock) = 7.5
My Porsche 997 Turbo (new: Stage II) = 9

Last edited by Alex_997TurboRSC; 11-20-2009 at 04:58 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Nice! That's a great car and one of my favorite Audis. I only wish they'd sold it here in the US. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Old 11-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
I love the color combo; but when are they going to udate the interior? Electronics look the same as they've always been.

regardless; nice piece of kit you got there!

Old 11-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Nice! One of the ultimate DD's, the only RS6 on TS?

Old 11-19-2009, 02:07 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
that`s the best colour combo for the RS6 Avant!

I really like the way it sits looks....what a badass family hauler!

Any mods planned for the RS6?

MTM offers some good solutions.

btw...the leather is not as sensible to blue jeans as BMWs white/beige leather is,right?
Did you have any issues with it yet?

Old 11-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Teamspeed Pro
tractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond repute
You got an avant... You're my new TS hero!!!

Last edited by tractorcrusher; 11-19-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:16 PM
ljg
Teamspeed Pro
ljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond repute
C6 RS6 is so sick.. I miss our C5

Old 11-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome color combo. Glad to hear you're enjoying it so far! Keep updating us on your ownership experience, please.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:26 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Great write up Alex!

Old 11-19-2009, 02:36 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tractorcrusher
You got an avant... You're my new TS hero!!!
here you go
Originally Posted by Alex_997TurboRSC
The auto gearbox is laggy in 'drive' and only really any good for fuel economy - very very smooth though. The gearbox in auto 'sport' mode is much more aggressive, even blipping a little on the down changes. My favourite though are the manual flappy paddles on the steering wheel. Very responsive and great fun. Sticking the car in 2nd and getting up towards 7000 rpm generates a heavenly noise (albeit a little muted) from the V10 engine.
Originally Posted by Alex_997TurboRSC
I am having so much fun it it with the power, the engine and the fantastic Tiptronic gearbox (way better than Porsche's offering).

Quick Reply: Did I post this already? My new RS6...