Notices
Performance Series Audi Models R8, S4, RS4, S5, RS5, S6, RS6, & S8 Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S5 owners: Thoughts so far?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vtgts300kw
At the end of the day, its an Audi, which, as LaBrit pointed out, has a crappy gearbox and clutch + 4WD.

M3 everyday of the week Brian. Everyday of the week.
Kurt,

is your M3 a 6MT or DCT?

I have just started reading a 15 page thread with owners discussing on m3post.com and am already bored and just want a definitive (which i know is impossible) answer.

I think i'll go with the DCT because of London traffic, that and the fact that i don't think they are offering the same deal on the 6mt.

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow for a testdrive of both.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Teamspeed Pro
SLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LABrit
Kurt,

is your M3 a 6MT or DCT?

I have just started reading a 15 page thread with owners discussing on m3post.com and am already bored and just want a definitive (which i know is impossible) answer.

I think i'll go with the DCT because of London traffic, that and the fact that i don't think they are offering the same deal on the 6mt.

My friend had the same debate and ending up going with the manual. He was in an M6 right before and says he really likes the manual compared to the M6 SMG.... that said he does say it gets old sometimes in traffic.

Just sayin...

Old 05-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
Nate i haven't driven the SMG before or the DCT but from what i've read the SMG can't even begin to compare to the DCT tranny, so your mate should have tried it out at least, which is what i'll do.

The interior of the 3 series is so boring that when you have an auto you sit there bored just looking at it and thinking it looks like shit (as i did quite often in the 335), that alone could be enough for me to go for a more involving 6MT to be honest!

Old 05-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Kurt,

is your M3 a 6MT or DCT?

Don't read those stupid threads on m3post, they turn your brains to mush. Many of those dudes arguing don't even have M3s any way.

I went with a manual b/c I only drive manuals, and until I get a Scud (PLEASE!) I will always drive manuals.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
SLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond repute
Nate i haven't driven the SMG before or the DCT but from what i've read the SMG can't even begin to compare to the DCT tranny, so your mate should have tried it out at least, which is what i'll do.

The interior of the 3 series is so boring that when you have an auto you sit there bored just looking at it and thinking it looks like shit (as i did quite often in the 335), that alone could be enough for me to go for a more involving 6MT to be honest!
not a bad thought... although the little touches to the M interior do make it look better and in red like his I actually like the interior a lot...

I'd get a manual, I just think they are more fun, even though performance wise I'm sure i'm not a good enough driver to match the performance I would get out of the DCT.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vtgts300kw
At the end of the day, its an Audi, which, as LaBrit pointed out, has a crappy gearbox and clutch + 4WD.

M3 everyday of the week Brian. Everyday of the week.
It seems to me this is remedied with the RS offerings. No?

Old 05-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by M5Kid
Yeah, wait until Audi releases the RS5. However, knowing them, no matter how the market looks it will be around $80-85,000/

Old 05-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JC919
Yeah, wait until Audi releases the RS5. However, knowing them, no matter how the market looks it will be around $80-85,000/
Yep, used Audi's FTW (with warranty).

Old 05-13-2009, 07:45 PM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
Kurt,

is your M3 a 6MT or DCT?
6MT. Whilst the DCT is an incredible gearbox, its an automatic, no way around it.

Theres no way you can justify getting a DCT over a Manual in an M3 unless you are missing your left leg. Whilst the traffic issue definitely has it merits, and it does get a little tiresome after a while in traffic, the benefits when the traffic clears...... But iv'e never experienced London traffic.

The clutch is lighter than the previous generation so is more leg friendly in traffic, the gearbox is still notchy as hell, but i love that, and the throws ( especially 2-3 ) are long as hell. In the previous generation, 3rd gear was the perfect round town gear, could pull from low down etc. This time its not as good ( i probably sit in 2nd in the city ) but it's still geared well enough to limit the shifts in traffic.

And yeah, the interior is pretty boring ( but i dont get why everyone loves the Audi interior ), but you get used to it. I prefered the old interior as you felt more a part of it, like a cockpit, and initially i didnt have the same feelings towards the new one, but it has grown on me. I liked how you used to sit so low in the E46 and you don't get the same feeling in the new one.

The brakes are great around town, but get em ont he track and its a different story. I don't know why BMW underbrake their cars.

I don't need a car that helps me get of the line thank-you. And the gearbox and clutch in the RS's seem to refined.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
quattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond repute
Useful comments - thanks. Would you mind posting a few more pictures of your S5? I know quite a few of us really like it . . .
I need to take some new shots with my latest mods but here's a couple for now

Last edited by quattro joe; 05-13-2009 at 10:44 PM.

Quick Reply: S5 owners: Thoughts so far?