Notices
Performance Boats Cigarette Racing Team, Donzi, Fountain, Outer Limits, Nor-Tech, Deep Impact, Formula, & More Discussion Forum.

Don Aronow Memorial Around LI Race

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Top Banana will become famous soon enoughTop Banana will become famous soon enoughTop Banana will become famous soon enoughTop Banana will become famous soon enoughTop Banana will become famous soon enoughTop Banana will become famous soon enoughTop Banana will become famous soon enoughTop Banana will become famous soon enough
Don Aronow Memorial Around LI Race

September 18, 2010. HORBA along with Billy Frenz of the NPBA are holding a real old school open ocean race around Long Island, NY.

With permission of the Aronow family, the name of the race is:

Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Marathon.

Don himself competed in this race back in the 60's. The distance comes out to about 257 miles. The race headquarters and wet and dry pit areas will be at Guy Lamotta's marina......Manhasset Bay Marina in Port Washington, NY.

The start will be on the north side of the island right off Plum Point with the fleet heading east toward Montauk. After rounding Montauk, the racers head back toward Manhattan.

Handicap system will be used for the boats that don't have enough fuel capacity. Existing record for this course was done a few years ago, at 3 hours and 6 minutes.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
MiniHawk You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!MiniHawk You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!MiniHawk You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!MiniHawk You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!MiniHawk You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!MiniHawk You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!MiniHawk You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!MiniHawk You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!MiniHawk You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!MiniHawk You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!MiniHawk You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by Top Banana
September 18, 2010. HORBA along with Billy Frenz of the NPBA are holding a real old school open ocean race around Long Island, NY.

With permission of the Aronow family, the name of the race is:

Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Marathon.

Don himself competed in this race back in the 60's. The distance comes out to about 257 miles. The race headquarters and wet and dry pit areas will be at Guy Lamotta's marina......Manhasset Bay Marina in Port Washington, NY.

The start will be on the north side of the island right off Plum Point with the fleet heading east toward Montauk. After rounding Montauk, the racers head back toward Manhattan.

Handicap system will be used for the boats that don't have enough fuel capacity. Existing record for this course was done a few years ago, at 3 hours and 6 minutes.

That sounds awesome! Would I be able to bring my Mini Hawk for display?

Old 02-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Top Banana will become famous soon enoughTop Banana will become famous soon enoughTop Banana will become famous soon enoughTop Banana will become famous soon enoughTop Banana will become famous soon enoughTop Banana will become famous soon enoughTop Banana will become famous soon enoughTop Banana will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by MiniHawk
That sounds awesome! Would I be able to bring my Mini Hawk for display?
The race isn't until September.....I'm sure that boat will be long sold by then.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:32 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
TB Let me know if you want to do something together for this. Shoot me a PM, hope all is well!

Old 02-07-2010, 07:05 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
My uncle owns a very rare donzi called "satan's chariot" driven by Aronow himself. The boat isnt in the water or i would have him take it up there.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
MiniHawk You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!MiniHawk You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!MiniHawk You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!MiniHawk You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!MiniHawk You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!MiniHawk You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!MiniHawk You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!MiniHawk You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!MiniHawk You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!MiniHawk You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!MiniHawk You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by Top Banana
The race isn't until September.....I'm sure that boat will be long sold by then.
I actually decided to keep the thing untill next October. If I can't bring the mini hawk I will defenitly be on the docks anyway.
Need to mark this race on my calander.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by DJ
TB Let me know if you want to do something together for this. Shoot me a PM, hope all is well!
DJ it would be a pleasure to meet you one day.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:35 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Probably not a good idea DJ.

I think Guy Lamotta has a contract out on most TS members.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Teamspeed's Florida Ambassador
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
Probably not a good idea DJ.

I think Guy Lamotta has a contract out on most TS members.

LOL That's what I was thinking.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
We purposely scheduled the race on the Sept 18th date, so that it would not interfere with any other race organization's dates. We have had a lot of interest from the other offshore racers of today, that want an experience of open ocean running. We have also had a lot of interest from poker run people who want the same thing.

The event is designed to be competitor friendly. There is no big World Championship at stake here. Just come and bring your boat and we will find a class for you to run in. If you don't have enough fuel, we will have a handicap system to help you.

This reminds me of when I ran the last Cannonball Outlaw Race, in 79. We all knew it was a once in a lifetime event and that is just what it proved to be. With the way government is going today, this may be a once in a lifetime deal too, who knows. But in any case, come and enjoy and experience what it is like to do something like this.

Quick Reply: Don Aronow Memorial Around LI Race