Notices
Performance Boats Cigarette Racing Team, Donzi, Fountain, Outer Limits, Nor-Tech, Deep Impact, Formula, & More Discussion Forum.

Midnight Express w/5 Verado's

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
kraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Hernando
I think it`s a bit nuts to do a boat with 5 engines. I told them they were out of their minds, then they told me they were building a turbine center console, and I told them I would be their second customer. Talk about silly, but how could you pass up a turbine center console.

The thing with the 5 engines is: You may go super fast, but you wont be able to turn. The moment you try to turn one of those engines is coming out of the water, or it`s going to cause some serious cavitation, and there is a huge problem with that. Since you have to use the shadow controls for this setup, the computer is going to try to automatically fix that and increase power to the other engines possibly ending in a very scary situation. One that you have no control over. I think 5 outboards is just too much and too silly.
Good point about the cavitation. I didn't think of that. Perhaps its because I have never driven a boat with more than two engines, let alone 5! admittedly, my experience with large (25-40 ft) center console type boats is very limited.

The other thing I was thinking about was what this would do to the balance of the boat. Those 350's are heavy engines to hang 5 of them off the stern.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Teamspeed Member
cayenned will become famous soon enoughcayenned will become famous soon enoughcayenned will become famous soon enoughcayenned will become famous soon enoughcayenned will become famous soon enoughcayenned will become famous soon enoughcayenned will become famous soon enoughcayenned will become famous soon enough
I agree its overkill, the weight to added mph or benefits ratio doesn't match. So much weight hanging off the back just doesn't work, not to mention steering issues, cavitation, fuel consumption and potential transom issues with the weight. They must have really overbuilt the transom.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
So you're saying this setup isn't ideal?