Notices
Motorcycle Forum The Harley, Chopper, & Performance Motorcycle Discussion Forum.

In the Teamspeed Garage: The 2008 Ducati Monster 696

Old 06-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Teamspeed Contributing Editor
Auto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond repute
Post In the Teamspeed Garage: The 2008 Ducati Monster 696

Motorcycle Riding 101, Ducati Style

By Stuart Schwartzapfel, Team Speed Editor

Base MSRP: $8,775.00
Engine: L-Twin cylinder, 2 valve per cylinder Desmodromic [air cooled]
Displacement: 696 cc
Bore x Stroke: 88x57.2mm
Compression Ratio: 10.6:1
Power: 80hp @ 9000 RPM, 50.6lb-ft @ 7750 RPM
Gearbox: 6-speed with APTC wet multiplate clutch with hydraulic control
Frame: Tubular steel Trellis frame
Front suspension: Showa 43mm upside-down forks
Rear suspension: Progressive linkage with preload and rebound Sachs adjustable monoshock
Front brake: 2 x 320mm Brembo discs, 4-piston radial caliper
Rear brake: 245mm disc, 2-piston caliper
Dry Weight: 355lbs

Fast Fact: A composite plastic “skin” wraps around the new Monster’s fuel tank/air box and rear seat cover, enabling owners to quickly swap amongst the 3 color choices offered at launch: Ducati Red, Matte Black and Pearl White.

Hey Speed Freaks,

With a fast approaching retail release for the all-new 2008 Monster 696, Ducati is trying to spread awareness and enthusiasm for the bike outside of the traditional motorcycle enthusiast community. Sure, ‘Ducatisti’ [or Ducati obsessed individuals] will always serve a crucial role in the brand’s survival, but bringing newcomers [or ‘Monsteristi’ in this case] into the fold isn’t an entirely bad idea either. And as any stroll through the streets of Manhattan or San Francisco will prove, the urban cool factor associated with Monsters has opened appeal up to a much larger “non-enthusiast” audience than the more extreme, expensive offerings from the likes of Hypermotard and Sport Classic model lines. In PR speak, this means getting exposure in a more diverse range of magazines/websites as to increase both Monster nameplate awareness and overall participation in motorcycling as a hobby. With all of this in mind, Ducati was forward thinking enough to have several “lifestyle” journalists, such as myself, out to Lime Rock Park not only to learn about the stunning new Italian temptress, but also to learn how to ride on it. Pretty cool huh?

We arrived early morning to Lime Rock Park, where a massive red tractor-trailer was opened up much like a museum with the company’s range of product offerings displayed prominently outside. After a few shots of espresso and much drooling over all the hot Italian machinery, we shuffled into a conference room where company officials took us through the new Monster’s broad strokes and the course instructor debriefed us on the day of basic training that lied ahead. Most every journalist in attendance did not have a motorcycle license or, for that matter, much riding experience to speak off. I had gotten my motorcycle license about a year and a half ago and grew up in a motorcycle-crazy household, but was rusty and had not ridden in a while. Like the all-inclusive Motorcycle Safety Foundation [MSF] weekend training courses, we would be exposed a lot of content into a relatively short period of time. Everything from how to properly mount the bike to negotiating turns at a blind corner. The main difference, aside from the fact that training was one day instead of a whole weekend, was that participants would not get a waiver for their motorcycle license at course completion. Oh yeah, and we get to learn on the new Ducati Monster, not some 250cc dinosaur that had been abused by countless virgin riders. Ducati even provided brand new leathers, boots and helmets for the group to use. We looked and felt official!

A row of shiny new Monsters lined the asphalt, prepped and ready for a day of training under the Connecticut sun. And although the 696 represents a completely new generation of Monster, there is an undeniable likeness to the first-generation model. This is definitely a good thing as I am sure most of you will agree. Still present is the awesome naked frame [available in black and red] that made the bike so famous when it launched at the International Motor Show in Cologne back in 1992. This large diameter Hybrid Trellis frame blends stylishly into an aluminum sub-frame and swingarm. In keeping with the Monster’s minimalist persona, instruments and controls at the front are simple and contrast nicely with the bold twin mufflers that flare out beneath the scooped out black seat. The package is decidedly muscular and certainly the most exotic means of transportation you will find for under $9,000.

The 696’s L-twin engine is an evolution of the previous 695 version. Power [80hp] and torque [50.6 lb-ft.] are up 9% and 11%, respectively. This increase in power has been achieved by the introduction of new cylinder heads, which are now similar to those found on the 1100 2V engine used in the Multistrada and Hypermotard. Bore and stroke are unchanged from the previous 695 model at 88 x 57.2 mm, but the pistons and combustion chamber have been revised to optimize the fluid dynamics of the new ports. Lastly, the camshafts now rotate directly on the head, which means no more bearings and a lower weight. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in terms of oil upkeep. One of the many reasons this bike is so ride able relates to power delivery. Below 6 grand, throttle response is not too harsh. So when I accidentally twisted the right grip too much, my body was not thrown back with violent force. As I am sure you all will agree, accidental acceleration in a motorcycle is a lot scarier than in car.

Overall, the 696’s thinner waistline, lower seat height, wider handlebars and lighter controls have all come together to form one very easy-to-ride and versatile motorcycle. Results from our day at the track speak to this because, by day end, all of us writers were riding comfortably around one of the ancillary tracks, clicking in and out of gear and leaning into turns as if old pros. Keep in mind that several people in the group had never ridden a motorcycle before. The bike, coupled with the wonderful instruction from Ducati, was intuitive enough to handle even the newest of riders.

Until next time!

Attached Images           
Old 06-24-2008, 11:55 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Great write up, great time!

Old 06-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Mpowerful has a reputation beyond reputeMpowerful has a reputation beyond reputeMpowerful has a reputation beyond reputeMpowerful has a reputation beyond reputeMpowerful has a reputation beyond reputeMpowerful has a reputation beyond reputeMpowerful has a reputation beyond reputeMpowerful has a reputation beyond reputeMpowerful has a reputation beyond reputeMpowerful has a reputation beyond reputeMpowerful has a reputation beyond repute
Stu after reading this i called my local dealer, thanks for pushing me over the edge and let me tell you all this Teamspeed place is costing me money

Old 06-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
Nice write up. Cool pics too.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
ctracer is an unknown quantity at this point
damn i took the msf course last month and was riding a 250 honda. would have loved to take it on a monster!

Old 06-30-2008, 02:08 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Mpowerful,
That's great to hear as that is one of the reasons be brought Stuart to the Team; not to get you to buy things but help you get that insight you need before making your next purchase. Glad to hear you enjoyed this piece as much as I did and we look forward to hearing about your experiences!
All the best,
DJ

Old 06-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
nerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the roughnerual is a jewel in the rough
Hey, I didn't get a ducati jacket when I bought my monster! I love that they gave you guys those so you'd all be wearing them in the pics, that's very ducati. The 696 is a great beginner bike (assuming you have a lot of money to pay for expensive Italian replacement parts.) The new ducs have much cheaper maintenance costs than in the past, so if anyone was thinking of owning one and wasn't sure, now's a good time to dive in. I love my monster, though it's a bit of a different beast. Thanks for the write-up; shiny side up Stu!

Old 06-30-2008, 05:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
alkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond repute
nice write up, and I was just thinking to get my motorcycle license, with this bike in mind.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:39 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
I like.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:43 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Bronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond repute
Excellent review! I've always been soft for these Ducatis!

DJ: great addition with the banners next to the reviews, looks very good!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: In the Teamspeed Garage: The 2008 Ducati Monster 696