Notices
Motorcycle Forum The Harley, Chopper, & Performance Motorcycle Discussion Forum.

Long Way Round

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, the big GS is shaft drive and the 800gs is chain. Not that it really matters, I'm not scared of chain/sprockets when changing a tire. But yes, going bigger/faster/comfortable for the road is a consideration because I don't plan on using this as a dirtbike.

Originally Posted by brabusk8
Loved the long way down, but my advice is to go for the 1200gs, I believe the 800gs has a belt or chain drive or solid drive shaft i forget, but my dad was deciding the same thing, and when I worked at the BMW moto dealership back home he got convinced the 1200gs was better, not only for the drive reason, chain or solid I forget but also because of the power.

My dad did alot or research i would be happy to ask him.

I think ur goal for the bike are them same that my dad wanted to do, lost of back road carving with the few roadtrips with a little off roading stuff at times.

but the 1200gs is a solid choice.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
brabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant futurebrabusk8 has a brilliant future
I would really consider the 1200gs then, its more expensive but alot of dealers have specials on them where the throw in side bags off ride lights and such.

My dad did alot of research before deciding on the 1200, he checked out ktm and the redesigned ducati multistrada, but kept coming back to the 1200gs, he said it was such a better bike all around.

Hope some of this might help, what ever decision you make your gonna have alot of fun, the bmws are really great bikes.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Banned
bmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond reputebmoores has a reputation beyond repute
Just finished Long Way Round last yesterday and immediately started Long Way Down. Great stuff.