Notices
Motorcycle Forum The Harley, Chopper, & Performance Motorcycle Discussion Forum.

Ducati 1098 S Versus Streetfighter S

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
crazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond repute
Ducati 1098 S Versus Streetfighter S

OK, So I listened to the advice from here and others and have had my Ninja 250 for a while now. It was a fun step up from my 125cc dirtbike. Now I am ready to step up to my dream, a Ducati.

I will mainly be using this bike for just cruising around town. I go to school in a small town in Mississippi (Oxford) and will be moving to Austin or Denver in May.

Have any of you on here ridden both bikes, what are your comparisons of the two?

Old 09-13-2010, 08:41 PM
ljg
Teamspeed Pro
ljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond repute
I wish I was in your shoes ready to get a Ducati. After wrecking on my ZX6R, an accident that wasn't my fault (I know, everyone says that), I told myself my next sport bike would be a Ducati, for the track, so a 1098s/1198s type. However, if I was to only get one bike just to cruise and hooligan on the streets, it would be really hard to pass up a Streetfighter S.

I'm sure the other riders will chime in with similar stories and tell you that a track oriented Duc is basically just that, some of the worst ergos for the street. The Streetfighter is the more comfortable, all-you-can-eat type of bike, for a guy that likes to have some fun. For your situation, I think the decision is easy, but it sure is hard to pass up the looks of the 1098s. Again, I haven't ridden either, but do have some time/miles on 600s and a bit of liter bike experience, but I have read quite a bit about both bikes and like to drool over the exhaust sound.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Yonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond reputeYonder has a reputation beyond repute
As an owner of a CBR f3, and currently a BMW R100rs who has a father that has owned many different harleys, bmws and a ducati monster...

I would recomend the streetfighter if you are not a track junky, or do not think you will become one in the near future. I think you would be happier on the street fighter and then if you do get the itch... a used GSXR or the like would make a very good track bike that you can obtain cheap and maintain cheap.

just my opinion.

Wilson

Old 09-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
crazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like I need to go check out the seating position on both bikes before I completely fall for the 1098's looks.

Too bad the nearest dealer is Atlanta (~5 hours). I am going to see a tattoo artist so I might as well check them out while I am there.

Also, about the ergo's of the bikes. I am a fairly small guy at 5'9" and 155 lbs. Is this going to be a issue with some of these bigger bikes?

Old 09-13-2010, 09:46 PM
ljg
Teamspeed Pro
ljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond repute
You definitely want to sit on the bikes to see how they are, and if you are lucky enough to find someone to let you truck around a parking lot or similar. Expect the 1098 to be very aggressive in terms of how far you will be bent over at your height. Riding a super sport is generally not something your body is happy with for hours on end. A few hours on a sport bike is generally more than most can handle, regardless of height.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:00 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Both are teh suck in terms of city riding. The 1098 just sucks a lot more.

Rode with a 1198 this weekend. He puts a good amount of miles on his bike ... and avoids the city like the plague. Clutch, noise, heat, position ... it just blows. The Streetfigher has the same issue, including the riding position which goes from "terrible" to "eh".

The 1098 is slightly taller, you'll look like a noob in a parking lot no matter how hard you try. I did.

Honestly, you endure a 1098 in the city, traffic and interstate, anxiously waiting for the twisties. If you're just gonna cruise, you'll just hate it.
A Streetfighter is much better in that regard. And the ergos are more intuitive.

Any reason you're going for the S? Traction control? The 1098S' Ohlins is notoriously hard as concrete for anyone under 220lbs.

Last edited by Zorro; 09-14-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:51 AM
SAB
Teamspeed Pro
SAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not so sure I condone moving to either of those bikes from a 250.

Keep in mind that the Duc's carry more stringent service intervals compared to the Japanese offerings.

I have a fair amount of seat time in the 1098 and Zorro is on point with his statements. The bike rewards you for riding very fast and punishes you for anything less.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking at a 600. It's the most sensible progression for you and will hone your throttle control quite well. A liter bike commands a lot of respect and constant attention.

Have you considered a Triumph 675? Dead sexy looks and it blew the wheels off every 600 on the market when tested against them.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SAB
I'm not so sure I condone moving to either of those bikes from a 250.
I +1 this.

Upgrading to a 4cyl liter bike ... yeah, that wouldn't be unreasonable seeing how smoother the power delivery is. The twins are just soooo snappy, instant power right there ... I'm on a 1000cc and the big Ducs still scare me a little bit.

But I do understand the lust for a Duc' ... why not get an 848? You'll have the stunning looks, and the engine is much easier to handle. Still just as uncomfortable though.

In the same vein, there are strong rumors about a Streetfighter 848 coming out in Milan this fall. You may want to wait and check the news for that.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:58 AM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Yonder
As an owner of a CBR f3, and currently a BMW R100rs who has a father that has owned many different harleys, bmws and a ducati monster...

I would recomend the streetfighter if you are not a track junky, or do not think you will become one in the near future. I think you would be happier on the street fighter and then if you do get the itch... a used GSXR or the like would make a very good track bike that you can obtain cheap and maintain cheap.

just my opinion.

Wilson
Good guidance right here.
I've had Duc's for a very long time.

Unless you're going to track it, get the street fighter. You will be just as happy, if not more so, simply because it will be more enjoyable to ride it around the urban track. The looks on the 1098 are stunning for sure, but those wear off on you.

Now if you care more about appearances, no one is going to make you think otherwise.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with the others. A step from a Ninja 250 to one of the big Ducs would be a huge jump. The 848 Evo is sweet if you really want a Superbike.

Quick Reply: Ducati 1098 S Versus Streetfighter S