Notices
Modern Muscle Corvette, Saleen, Ford GT, Mustang, & More Discussion Forum.

Road & Track - This Tesla Autopilot Close Call Shows We Need To Be Responsible With A

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 07:29 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Rob99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Road & Track - This Tesla Autopilot Close Call Shows We Need To Be Responsible With A

Tesla Autopilot Day 1

Well that didn't take long. Yesterday was the first day Tesla Model S owners could download the Autopilot software upgrade to make their cars semiautonomous, and already we have one example of an owner almost running off the road because they didn't understand the system's limitations. 

Road & Track - Tesla Autopilot Close Call

Last edited by Rob99; 10-17-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:38 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Making bold claims can sell you lots of cars, but it can also mean that people owning these cars will have very high expectations from their vehicles. And if something goes wrong, you shouldn’t be surprised if they all come knocking on your door for compensation.

Tesla Model S Crashes into Autobahn Barrier While Using the Autopilot Function

Old 05-12-2016, 03:18 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Tesla Model S may have crashed itself into a parked trailer - By Chris Ziegler on May 11, 2016 11:21 am

When one Tesla Model S owner returned to his parked car, he found it smashed up and severely damaged.

The owner says that he was answering questions about the car from a passerby, so it's entirely possible that he opened the app and accidentally activated Summon (for what it's worth, he claims he didn't). But here's the thing: it doesn't matter. Under no circumstances should a production vehicle autonomously collide with a parked vehicle mere feet ahead of it. I think that's common sense, right? Am I saying anything controversial?

Tesla Model S autonomously crashes into a parked trailer while in Summon mode | The Verge

Old 05-15-2016, 11:30 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Tesla’s autopilot failed to brake; Tesla says otherwise - May 13, 2016 10:30pm CEST

On April 26, Simpson was driving north from Los Angeles on I-5, cruising in autopilot mode. "All of a sudden the car ahead of me came to a halt. There was a decent amount of space so I figured that the car was going to brake as it is supposed to and didn't brake immediately. When it became apparent that the car was not slowing down at all, I slammed on the brakes but was probably still going 40 when I collided with the other car," she told Ars.

In contrast, Tesla says that the vehicle logs show that its adaptive cruise control system is not to blame. Data points to Simpson hitting the brake pedal and deactivating autopilot and traffic aware cruise control, returning the car to manual control instantly. (This has been industry-wide practice for cruise control systems for many years.) Simpson's use of the brake also apparently disengaged the automatic emergency braking system, something that's been standard across Tesla's range since it rolled out firmware version 6.2 last year.

Cars Technica / All things automotive - Another driver says Tesla?s autopilot failed to brake; Tesla says otherwise | Ars Technica

In a statement to Ars, the company said:

"Safety is the top priority at Tesla, and we engineer and build our cars with this foremost in mind. We also ask our customers to exercise safe behavior when using our vehicles. Since the release of Autopilot, we’ve continuously educated customers on the use of the feature, reminding them that they’re responsible for remaining alert and present when using Autopilot and must be prepared to take control at all times.
Tesla Autopilot is designed to provide a hands-on experience to give drivers more confidence behind the wheel, increase their safety on the road, and make highway driving more enjoyable. Autopilot is by far the most advanced such system on the road, but it does not turn a Tesla into an autonomous vehicle and does not allow the driver to abdicate responsibility."

Old 05-15-2016, 11:31 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Old 05-16-2016, 09:06 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Tesla autopilot rams truck - dinsdag 12 januari 2016 07:24

The truck drove around half past nine in the evening of 80 kilometers per hour on the A2 near Utrecht, when the driver suddenly felt a thump. In his mirror he saw a headlight and dented the hood of the Tesla, which was hooked under the bumper of the truck. The truck hit badly damaged in the collision.

He had, he told the truck driver, driving on autopilot.

Tesla autopilot ramt vrachtauto | Prinsenbeeknieuws

Tesla autopilot ramt vrachtauto
Een splinternieuwe Tesla type S (118.000 euro) is vorige week woensdagavond achterop een vrachtwagen van het Prinsenbeekse potplantenbedrijf Gebroeders Houtepen gereden. De elektrische auto zat tot de voorruit in de prak. De bestuurder kwam met de schrik vrij. Hij had, zo vertelde hij tegen de vrachtwagenchauffeur, op de automatische piloot gereden.
De vrachtauto reed rond half tien 's avonds met 80 kilometer per uur op de A2 bij Utrecht, toen de chauffeur plotseling een dreun voelde. In zijn spiegel zag hij een koplamp en de ingedeukte motorkap van de Tesla, die onderaan de bumper van de vrachtwagen was gehaakt. Ook de vrachtauto raakte bij de aanrijding flink beschadigd.
Tesla riep eerder al op ‘behoedzaam' om te springen met de automatische piloot-functie en de handen aan het stuur te houden, zo meldde De Volkskrant in oktober.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:54 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Tesla Model S P85D Traffic-Aware Cruise Control (TACC) & Collision Avoidance Demonstration (at 2:40 min)

P85D TACC fails to brake at red light. Almost accident

Model S P85D causes (probably) an accident using TACC

Model S P85D verursacht Unfall trotz verkehrsadaptivem Tempomat
Veröffentlicht am 11. Mai 2015 von TK - Beitragsbild: TMC.com / emir-t

Model S P85D verursacht Unfall trotz verkehrsadaptivem Tempomat ? TeslaMag.de

Old 05-28-2016, 04:53 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Tesla Model S driver crashes into a van while on Autopilot:

The driver concedes:

“First of all, it is clear to me that I am responsible and the accident could have been prevented. But still I see the contributory negligence of the systems. If I can not trust to a certain degree a system, then I can not use the system and it has no value for me.

Yes, I could have reacted sooner, but when the car slows down correctly 1’000 times, you trust it to do it the next time to. My bad..”

The Model S was on Autopilot, or at least the Traffic-Aware Cruise Control (TACC) feature of the Autopilot, in the left lane on the highway (Switzerland) in heavy traffic.

Update: the Model S owner set the youtube video to private, but someone linked to a gif of the video:

Tesla Model S on Autopilot crashes into van parked on highway - Roadshow
Tesla Model S fährt mit eingeschaltetem Autopiloten gegen Transporter ? TeslaMag.de

Old 06-07-2016, 06:29 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Tesla Model X Owner Says EV Accelerated On Its Own, Crashed

Tesla has made a statement saying that they checked vehicle data logs and that the Model X was operating under manual control (not operating in Autopilot of cruise) when the accident occurred.

Quoting the Model X driver:
“This could have easily been a fatal accident if the car’s wheels were not turned slightly to the left. If they were straight, it would have gone over the planters and crashed into the store in front of the parking stall and injured or killed the patrons. I am waiting to hear from Tesla whether the accelerator pedal can be depressed by the car electronically similar to gas-powered cars’ pedal being depressed on their own while in cruise control.”
"My wife is 45 years old and has had a driver's license almost 30 years and has a clean record. It's not like she's a 90-year-old person who's going to press the gas pedal instead of the brake," Ozbag said in an interview with Computerworld. She's been to that shopping center a millions times. It's a mile and half away from our house," he added.

UPDATE: Tesla has made a statement saying that they checked vehicle data logs and that the Model X was operating under manual control (not operating in Autopilot of cruise) when the accident occurred.
Tesla say the vehicle had been travelling at 6 miles per hour, until the accelerator pedal was increased to full 100%. Tesla says the Model X responded to the driver’s direction as one would expect.

Tesla has access to all customers car data logs? What does it mean to customers legal rights?
Tesla can read!
Do they can write too????

Tesla Model X Owner Says EV Accelerated On Its Own, Crashed (Update)
Tesla Model X autonomously crashes into building, owner claims | Computerworld

Old 07-01-2016, 03:41 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Tesla's Autopilot Has Had Its First Deadly Crash

Against a bright spring sky, the car’s sensors system failed to distinguish a large white 18-wheel truck and trailer crossing the highway, Tesla said. The car attempted to drive full speed under the trailer, “with the bottom of the trailer impacting the windshield of the Model S”, Tesla said in a blog post. Tesla said in a statement today that NHTSA has opened up a preliminary evaluation into the performance of Autopilot during a fatal accident with a Model S.

Tesla Model S Involved In Fatal Crash While in Autopilot Mode - NHTSA to Investigate Tesla Autopilot Mode

A Tragic Loss - The Tesla Team June 30, 2016
https://www.teslamotors.com/blog/tragic-loss

Quick Reply: Road & Track - This Tesla Autopilot Close Call Shows We Need To Be Responsible With A