Notices
Modern Muscle Corvette, Saleen, Ford GT, Mustang, & More Discussion Forum.

The story behind the Viper-powered Chrysler 300

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Teamspeed Pro
SpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up The story behind the Viper-powered Chrysler 300

Earlier this week, a video of a Viper-powered Chrysler 300 mysteriously appeared on Dodge's YouTube channel. Was it bound for SEMA? Was it an engineer's toy? No one knew - until now.

The car in question is Derek Ekins' 2006 Chrysler 300 Touring. While it originally came with an anemic 3.5-liter V6, fate intervened. When Ekins was visiting a salvage yard, he spotted a wrecked Viper and came up with an idea: replace the V6 with the Viper's 8.3-liter V10.

The build took almost year, but virtually everything (except the wiring harness and computer reflash) was done by Ekins himself. The process sounds simple enough, but Ekins had to install Eibach adjustable coilovers, a T56 Tremec six-speed manual transmission, a custom Aeromotive fuel tank, and a C&R racing radiator.

According to Ekins, "I built it knowing about the power and trying to keep it reliable." He added, "I didn't really build it to race it. I just wanted something different. I really liked the Viper, but I couldn't fit my whole family in it."

Read more: The story behind the Viper-powered Chrysler 300 [video]

Old 10-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Former Sponsor
J@WB has a brilliant futureJ@WB has a brilliant futureJ@WB has a brilliant futureJ@WB has a brilliant futureJ@WB has a brilliant futureJ@WB has a brilliant futureJ@WB has a brilliant futureJ@WB has a brilliant futureJ@WB has a brilliant futureJ@WB has a brilliant futureJ@WB has a brilliant future
thats cool! but the CTS-V would do the same trick, no?

Old 10-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond repute
A new CTS-V (Gen II) yes, but his 300 is an 06 model. That 300 with the shoe horned viper engine in it would probably destroy a Gen I CTS-V (04-06).

Old 10-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
intimidating !!!

Old 10-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
That should've been the SRT option from the factory... Especially with the T56 trans.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:46 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
It should have 18" drag radials, 22" is a no for this car. As a metaphor the setup of this car is like placing Salmon on top of a burger and calling it a day. 22" rims are not fitting to a car with this power.

Last edited by MeanMachine; 10-27-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
joshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm just curious of who really was dieing to know if they put a viper engine in a 300c

Old 10-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
GroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
That should've been the SRT option from the factory... Especially with the T56 trans.
Yup.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:36 PM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Yes! If someone were to ask me, "Jox, if you could buy a car that was one of the worst sedans in the world, that had borrowed most of its ancient technology from one of the worst Mercedes' in the world, and had painfully ugly 22 inch wheels on it and with the engine from an even ancient-er american sports car and that only revs to 4K because that's what the engineers thought was enough in 1945 when they first started making that engine, which one would you take?" I would definitely go with that one!