Notices
Modern Day Classics & Ferrari General News Ferrari News, Testarossa, F355, 308, & All Other Ferrari's Of Importance.

355 to 360

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 08:39 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by boursachi
but would you rate the f1 system in the 360 (my 2000) as better, more reliable, and advanced than that of the 355?
Yes.

a very important question i learned to ask is about the solenoid valves as well: can you source them individually? clutch release, engagement, and selection?
The problem with sourcing a direct replacement solenoid is that they're a tailor made part for Ferrari. They were originally made by Marelli, and have since been down the subcontracting rabbit hole a few times. Short answer: They can be had, but only if you order a LOT of them.

A much better methodology is to use a commonly available hydraulic solenoid and modify the manifold to work with it. Many owners are squeamish about bolting their multi-thousand dollar manifold into a mill, though, so just opt to replace the whole thing.

I've been playing with a solution for that off and on for a while now... I need a clone.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
Your opinions are often so exaggerated and extreme that it is hard to take you too seriously anyway.
Most people would tend to disagree with that, but, whatever floats your boat.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
So you want us all to believe that you know better than the men who have run Ferrari for the past 20 years? Because that is what you sound like.

And why? Because you are a mechanic and an engineer and has worked on a lot of Ferraris?

That's like me saying that I could manage the Yankees better than Torre and Girardi because I have attended a lot of baseball games.

Both arguments are pure hubris and can basically be dismissed out of hand.

Last edited by Barrister; 11-30-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:06 PM
Banned
So you want us all to believe that you know better than the men who have run Ferrari for the past 25 years? Because that is what you sound like.
No more than certain people who think they know how a given F1 team, or sports team, or what have you should be run.

A claim regarding reliability was made. I disagreed with it, because I have many years of empirical evidence to the contrary. After which, I was asked my opinion and gave it.

Ultimately, I'm offering my experience with a given subject to people who have raised a question related to said subject, as I have done on this site for several years rather selflessly. I don't get anything out of doing so other than an enjoyment of sharing that experience with people, much as I have done with all manner of Apple products.

Where do you want to take this, Dana? If I've offended your 360 in some way, then please accept my apology. If you have some strong moral objection to my taking time out of my day to help people out with my not insignificant experience in several fields, well, I'm sure I can find something more productive to do, which no doubt will free up database space for the usual questioning of sexual preference and general asswittery.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
I think you take yourself far too seriously brother.

All I did was express my opinions as well. Are you offended because I don't agree with YOU?

Oh, and we all post on here for free my man. Your contributions are not essential to the forum - nor are mine.

But you make it sound like your time is somehow more valuable than mine and everyone else's and that your opinions should somehow be taken as gospel.

Sorry, but that's not so. Your shit stinks just like the rest of us.

It doesn't take a genius to put everything down - especially with histrionics and hyperbole.

Last edited by Barrister; 11-30-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:37 PM
Banned
I think you take yourself far too seriously brother.
I'm not the one taking offense to a critical review of a car I own.

So far as Ferrari goes: They have made a significant depature from the direction of the company as it was run for much of its history. The last ~15-20 years have represented a huge change in overall mindset of the company. They have abandoned sports car racing, largely abandoned their hardcore, enthusiast fans and have gravitated towards a more Lambo-esque glamor over substance ethos. As I said, certainly the cars are more reliable, faster, and much easier to drive. They are targeted towards a different demographic than they once were as a result.

Economically, that has worked out pretty well for them. They sell more cars and make quite a lot more money. A strong parallel can be drawn with Toyota, who also abandoned their enthusiast base to concentrate on econoboxes and SUVs, markets which have been much more profitable for them than sports cars. As a result, Toyota's brand has changed from the bomb-proof, over-engineered last word in bang for the buck quality and engineering elegance, to those people who make Priuses and eleven different flavors of SUV that nobody can tell apart at a glance (or in general).

So, what happens when various Korean and eventually Chinese makers start chipping away at the Prius and small SUV market? Ultimately, the same thing that happened to the domestic auto industry here in the 80s. What does that mean for Ferrari? Not a whole lot right now. What will it mean in 20-30 years when the dozen new supercar market entries that happen every decade slowly but surely chip away at their market? Probably nothing good.

I could draw even more parallels between the kind of management thinking going on at Ferrari and what has happened between Microsoft and Apple in the last decade and change. That's not hurbis, that's a reasonable analysis of business and market trends among several companies.

You're free to disagree, and conclude that the sham that is "F1 tech in street cars! OMG!!!11oneone" will continue to sell cars for generations to come. Much as people were free to conclude that Apple would be doomed in "just a few years now" as recently as 2005. My point is, the market is a cruel mistress, and to abandon and largely ignore the very thing that made your company great is galactically stupid no matter what company is doing it.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
How much do I owe you for that post my man?

Wouldn't want you to waste your time in here.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:47 PM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
What I want to know is what on earth Simbas job is.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:50 PM
contract neg repper for hire
mafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond repute
I think it would be funny if he were a goat farmer. Or ran his own bakery.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:15 PM
MrTheBadGuy
Control It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vtgts300kw
What I want to know is what on earth Simbas job is.
I met Simba when he was delivering food to my apartment.