Notices
Modern Day Classics & Ferrari General News Ferrari News, Testarossa, F355, 308, & All Other Ferrari's Of Importance.

Ferrari Classics at the Bahrain F1 GP

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 01:31 AM
Board Certified Car Fanatic
RufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond repute
Many many thanks to Jim Glickenhaus for the awesome experience of driving P4/5 !...just a consummate enthusiast and gentleman.

Driving the P4/5 around a track allows one to experience the full range of sensations inherent in this one-off wonder....Incredible visibility, low front overhang, and a noise filled cockpit backed by wondrous thrust result in a jaw aching grin at the end of several laps....just awesome.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:33 AM
RufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond repute
Drove a Black Enzo ! Wonderful car to put through it paces on a track, just dart like and rapier quick.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:37 AM
I have to share a real thrill experienced during this fabulous trip....a ride as a passenger in a 250TR Pontoon

The sounds and smell of this wonder, along with the iconic visuals, combine to give the total automotive experience, period. I have even more respect for the endurance racers that thrashed these cars in anger as the radiating engine heat in this beauty was definitely present. The oil and water temps stayed ok, and the engine note is just joyous on song....it exceeds every single superlative ever penned about this legend.

Here are a few pics from that rare opportunity...what a thrill

Old 04-10-2008, 01:41 AM
Now, I come to the memory I will cherish most from this trip. Jacky Ickx was an honored guest at both track days and the F1 weekend. While his legendary track record speaks for itself, meeting and experiencing him in person reveals a gracious, humorous, genuine and compassionate gentleman that captivated all of the attendees with numerous stories and insights. A gentleman in the truest sense of the word. What is missed in the statistics, is a humanitarian and compassionate person that has reached out and genuinely changed lives outside of motorsport....I was in the presence of true greatness, no question.

Following lunch, I experienced the thrill of a lifetime as Jacky Ickx drove my F40 with myself as a passenger. He shared that it had probably been 13 years since he drove an F40, but he remembered it as a "sensational car, truly one of the best road cars...." It is amazing to watch a true racer at work. When we left the pits, I could sense a man in his office...joviality turned to purpose and a couple of snaps of the steering wheel and some pointed jabs at the brakes tested key components before getting down to business.

What followed was a masterclass of driving at the limit....the way he kept the car on boost at all critical times was a dance to behold. We went out of turns on acceleration that was purposely begun early so that boost would build at just the optimal moment for ferocity. The gears were changed with borderline aggression combined with complete precision. The feet danced on the pedals.

The car was put through its complete paces and driven to the limits of its traction and capability. I thought the previous experience with test driver and former goodyear engineer Paolo Garella was sensational, this was on another level altogether. After several mutually "enjoyable" laps, we did a couple of cooldown laps and pulled back into the pits. All oil and water temps were within normal limits, and there was no brake fade present during the runs according to Jacky. While we trundled down the pits and came to a stop, he recalled his experience with the car and called its introduction a "revelation" at the time. Using the words "pure", "excellent" and "fantastic", I could tell he genuinely enjoyed his drive ! So much so, that when we stopped, he asked politely if he could take his lovely wife out for some more laps !!!! He duly did, although she rightly only lasted a couple of laps through the G's he pulled

When he pulled back in, he gave the assembled gang his thoughts on the car, and he was quite descriptive in his thoughts One final thrill remained, as he took a silver marker, and carefully inscribed a message and date on the inside of the front cowl. It will be a reminder of a truly precious experience for me. Thank you Mr Ickx !

Old 04-10-2008, 01:42 AM
some more....

Old 04-10-2008, 01:53 AM
Finally, at the end of the second track day, the cars were gathered for a group photo in front of the Sakhir Tower at the circuit. Unfortunately, a couple of the cars were not present as the owners had left to catch flights, but the Crown Prince arrived in his immaculate 410SA to add a final wondrous exclamation point to a memorable week of F1 racing, sharing the passion of Ferrari, and above all, the cementing of friendships both new and old.

Special thanks again to the Crown Prince and the Royal Court of Bahrain, whose vision and passion for motorsport is the driving force behind the F1 Race in Bahrain and the worldclass Sakhir circuit. Many, many thanks to all support staff (especially Nadia and Samantha) that worked tirelessy to make this entire week perfect, and the participants who travelled from the USA, UK, Portugal and other parts of Europe with their cars to share the passion with fans that share the commonality. Special thanks to Mark Ketcham (Ketcham Imports) for his coordination and efforts on this end....a great person and as down to earth and knowledgeable as they come......many thanks Mark, I appreciate it.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:55 AM
i will post more pics tomorrow...especially of the race weekend !

Old 04-10-2008, 01:59 AM
Teamspeed Pro
ashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond reputeashokn225 has a reputation beyond repute
Amazing pictures and stories Jas. Really lets the rest of us live through the experience. Any comparisons with the P 4/5 or Enzo against the F40/CGT?

Old 04-10-2008, 02:16 AM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
Jas, I browse this thread in awe, bro. Thanks again, and again.

Jacky Ickx!? Holy hannah!

Old 04-10-2008, 03:55 AM
Teamspeed Pro
alkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond repute
nick masons daytona is TITS! i love it
dad used to have a daytona when he was younger

Quick Reply: Ferrari Classics at the Bahrain F1 GP