Notices
Modern Day Classics & Ferrari General News Ferrari News, Testarossa, F355, 308, & All Other Ferrari's Of Importance.

Recaro Restoration (ls build)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 04:42 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
RonRMAM is an unknown quantity at this point
Recaro Restoration (ls build)

New member here but many people know me from TCL and other forums. I originally posted this in the porsche forum but figured i would take the time to share this projects with you guys as these seats (Recaro LS's) were also offered (or may have been stock equipment) in the Ferrari 355gts.

These seats in particular will be going in a black MK3 Volkswagen Cabrio. We will be replacing the front and rear seats and re-wrapping them in a high quality red synthetic leather. This isnt the old vinyl you expect to see in an 80's European econobox but rather new advanced vinyl that is incredibly nice. We also plan to cover the panels, pillars, and dash in black ultra suede. I will post more pics as the build progresses

Recaro LS's originally in grey leather

Starting on the pattern

Black french seam. The material is much closer to a blood red then the pics show, the lighting just sucks where i have been taking the pics.

Here is a picture of the jacket 90% complete prior to install

This is the old jacket that we removed from the back of the seat. Recaro actually used good leather for these but you can see where they are starting to wear on the bolster.

The back with good foam, it looks like the leather actually did a very good job of preserving the foam.

Applying the new jacket..

Im going to put this in bold so i know people read it...This is a good example of why we recommend professional installation on our jackets. At this point the average joe would be left with some wrinkles and bunches like you see here in the pics.

These next steps seem simple but you could damage the material fairly easily if you didnt know what you were doing. Its a mix of massaging the material into place and steaming it to obtain the perfect fit. (also an example of how perfect our patterns are which you wont find with most shops)

And here is the final product (for this bolster)

Throwing in a few inserts in to see if anything really caught my eye.

Putting the lower covers on..

Complete seat with temporary insert no headrest

Might actually end up using these headrest but they would be re-wrapped first. Just think the netted headrest might be kind of cool in a convertible.

We did a regular headrest for now that way we can have both to compare.

Starting on the insert.

We are actually trying to decide if we want to do a single diamond or double diamond on the insert as seen below. The single is very clean and simple but the double is really defined and jumps out.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Teamspeed Pro
0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
Nice job! looks awesome!

Old 08-13-2010, 11:47 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
RonRMAM is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank You. Here is a quick pic with the insert JUST SAT IN PLACE - it is not glued, secured or even cut out but it gives you a rough idea what it will look like when it is done.