Notices
Modern Day Classics & Ferrari General News Ferrari News, Testarossa, F355, 308, & All Other Ferrari's Of Importance.

1998 Ferrari 355 Spider correction & Detail

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 11:55 PM
TS Detailing Sponsor | California
Auto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant future
1998 Ferrari 355 Spider correction & Detail

This car belongs to a client who saved and looked for this particular car for a very long time, the vehicle came from the midwest and was kept in a climate controlled garage thus the lack of any UV damage to the top and trim.

Even though the car was in great overall shape for a 11.5 year old vehicle it had a fair amount of marring due to incorrect washing and also a few deep scratches that required wet sanding to level and correct.

The beginning.............

Crusty wheel wells

Insect removal was in order..............

After a thorough wash, the top was scrubbe with a safe citrus degreaser

Here is a pretty nice scratch on the rear bumper

A pass with 2500 and 3000 grit sanding paper

After wool pad correction, just the tip of the scratch needed slight touch up paint to fill it in

With the large amount of RIDS on the decklid I used the air sander to level the defects

After compounding

Intermediate polishing step

Close up 50/50 pic of correction

50/50 pics of the hood

Jewelling the finish

Results of that effort

Utilizing the steamer to remove left over compound residue from the re-spray in the gas filler cap

Another by product of the re-spray was some shrinkage, the finish was hazy

Wool pad correction brought out the clarity of the finish

IPA wipedown

The formally crusty wheels and wheel wells now looking "as new"

Paint touch up step

Re-cleaned the top

Fabric sealant applied to the top material

Trunk area cleaned thoroughly and rubber seals dressed

Interior cleaned and dressed

Almost ready for sun pics

Sun pics............

[

Old 11-17-2009, 11:57 PM
Auto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant future
355 correction cont...

Old 11-18-2009, 02:27 AM
Teamspeed Pro
AudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond repute
Amazing work on a gorgeous car.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:26 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Tintsnevabright will become famous soon enoughTintsnevabright will become famous soon enoughTintsnevabright will become famous soon enoughTintsnevabright will become famous soon enoughTintsnevabright will become famous soon enoughTintsnevabright will become famous soon enoughTintsnevabright will become famous soon enough
Just curious as to what u charged for this job? I wouldn't mind having this done to my whip

Old 11-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Great job.

I am curious, how much paint was taken off by doing this? What was the paint meter reading before and after?

Old 11-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
pterps is a jewel in the roughpterps is a jewel in the roughpterps is a jewel in the roughpterps is a jewel in the roughpterps is a jewel in the roughpterps is a jewel in the roughpterps is a jewel in the roughpterps is a jewel in the roughpterps is a jewel in the roughpterps is a jewel in the roughpterps is a jewel in the rough
Great color, I would love to have that car in front of my camera

Great job! I amazed about the amount of work that goes into car detailing, but def. worth it when seeing the final result!

Peter

Old 11-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Board Certified Car Fanatic
RufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond reputeRufMD has a reputation beyond repute
once again, a fantastic result...would love to find a local guy that does similar work.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond reputeGuessWho has a reputation beyond repute
awesome work the car looks a 1000 times better

Old 01-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by RufMD
once again, a fantastic result...would love to find a local guy that does similar work.
Where are you located?, depending on where that might be I might have a quality guy to send your way.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by stuka
Great job.

I am curious, how much paint was taken off by doing this? What was the paint meter reading before and after?

As I do not have a paint meter which measures on non metalic surfaces I cannot give you the readings on the engine cover or bumpers/ hood, but the readings everywhere else were still 2.5 mils plus on the famously thin paint of a 355 after the correction.

The Ferrari model I really go slow on is the F-40 when correcting, the 355 initial readings were almost 3.0 mils.

Quick Reply: 1998 Ferrari 355 Spider correction & Detail