Notices
Modern Day Classics & Ferrari General News Ferrari News, Testarossa, F355, 308, & All Other Ferrari's Of Importance.

348: Rebuilt Window Switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeMcCoy has a reputation beyond reputeMcCoy has a reputation beyond reputeMcCoy has a reputation beyond reputeMcCoy has a reputation beyond reputeMcCoy has a reputation beyond reputeMcCoy has a reputation beyond reputeMcCoy has a reputation beyond reputeMcCoy has a reputation beyond reputeMcCoy has a reputation beyond reputeMcCoy has a reputation beyond repute
348: Rebuilt Window Switch

So this 348's window switch was sticking. It's apparently spring-loaded or whatever (please forgive my gross lack of technical jargon), and the switch would go down, but it wouldn't pop back up. In addition to that, there was some kind of an electrical issue where the window itself would only go up and/or down at certain times.

So Kent removed the switch and rebuilt it - like took it all apart and put it all back together again (wish I got pictures of that!)...! Anyway, after he rebuilt it, he rewired the switch in the door panel, thus eliminating the electrical issue, and restoring the switch's as-new functionality.

Not nearly as interesting as the engine rebuild pictures (of the 360, in the 360/430 section), I know, I'm sorry, but I just shot the first thing I saw when I walked in the other day.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  277.9 KB
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  220.2 KB
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  252.4 KB
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  248.1 KB
Name:  5.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  216.4 KB
Name:  6.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  200.8 KB
Name:  7.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  280.5 KB
Name:  8.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  243.1 KB

Old 02-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
SLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond repute
that 348 looks Cherry, interior looks perfect...

I know there are some on here that are not big fans of the 348 but I still think they are pretty sick..

Old 02-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
For us non F car people, this might be a stupid question.

But why can't you just order a new window switch?

Old 02-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeMcCoy has a reputation beyond reputeMcCoy has a reputation beyond reputeMcCoy has a reputation beyond reputeMcCoy has a reputation beyond reputeMcCoy has a reputation beyond reputeMcCoy has a reputation beyond reputeMcCoy has a reputation beyond reputeMcCoy has a reputation beyond reputeMcCoy has a reputation beyond reputeMcCoy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stuka
For us non F car people, this might be a stupid question.

But why can't you just order a new window switch?
Not a stupid question at all. If someone has the part, it would cost more than it cost to pay Kent to rebuild it.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by McCoy
Not a stupid question at all. If someone has the part, it would cost more than it cost to pay Kent to rebuild it.
Crazy. I guess that's what happens when the car is such limited production.

I can buy almost every single part of my 20 year old E30 from BMW still. BUt then, BMW probably made more E30's in a month than Ferrari did the entire 348 run.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Crazy. I guess that's what happens when the car is such limited production.

I can buy almost every single part of my 20 year old E30 from BMW still. BUt then, BMW probably made more E30's in a month than Ferrari did the entire 348 run.
LOL...!

348 tb: 2,895
348 ts: 4,230
348 Spider: 1,090
348 GTB: 252
348 GTS: 137
348 GTC: 50
348 Serie Speciale: 100
348 Serie Speciale II: 15

Grand total: 8,769

Total E30 production from 1982 through 1994: 2,339,248

348 tb produced from 1990-'94: 2,895
E30 production from 1990-'94: 350,531

348 ts produced from 1989-'94: 4,230
E30 production from 1989-'94: 607,838

Lowest production year for the E30: 1994, 1,997 units. Highest: 1986, 329,460 units.

Cars produced this year, worldwide: 5,205,xxx (and counting).

Cars produced in 2008, worldwide: 52,940,559.

An estimated 600,000,000 passenger cars are on the road around the world today. In the US alone, 136,568,083 passenger cars were registered in 2005.

As of 2006, Europe accounted for 33% of worldwide car production - Japan accounted for 20%.

Total number of Ferraris produced in the world since the inception of the company: 138,310 (estimated). South Africa produced twice that in 2006 alone.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
Yeah, where were you 2 and a half years ago when we were looking at 355's and ended up with the GT2?

The service cost of the 355 was what got the mrs to put her foot down on the deal, something about 5K a year in service is a lot of shoes.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
The service cost of the 355 was what got the mrs to put her foot down on the deal, something about 5K a year in service is a lot of shoes.
ROTFL...!

You were misquoted, unfortunately. The service costs are not 5K annually - unless you track the car every weekend. But the beauty of every Ferrari engine - and something that so few seem to realize - is that the more you drive it, the more reliable it becomes. They're built to perform; to endure, and to satisfy through function, not through aesthetics.

If you leave it in the garage and drive it for a half hour every Thanksgiving, then yeah, you're going to have an engine bay full of gremlins. But if you take her out and treat her right (the car, I'm sure you already do this with the Mrs.), she'll just keep coming back for more. To equate it in terms of women and shoes - no woman is thinking of shoes when she's glowing from attention.

Also, I bet if you took your wife for a ride in a 355 and she heard that exhaust note, she would've vowed to go barefoot forever if you bought it.

Probably a good thing that you bought the GT2 then though. Right now, you can pick up a 355 Spider for less than you paid for your Stuttgart rocket. We've got a TdF/tan with a 15K major service included in a staggeringly low price of $75,000.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:08 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Nice work KENT!

Old 02-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Jack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond repute
Great detailed work guys!

Quick Reply: 348: Rebuilt Window Switch