Notices

Bahrain Grand Prix May Not Happen?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
JuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond reputeJuiceBox has a reputation beyond repute
Bahrain Grand Prix May Not Happen?!

Formula One teams prepare plans to ditch Bahrain Grand Prix | FIA | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1

"Formula One teams have drawn up plans to abandon the Bahrain Grand Prix amid growing concerns over the deteriorating security situation in the Gulf state, according to a report in the Times.

Until this weekend the FIA and race organisers have maintained a firm line that all was well and the race weekend was not under threat but that changed with a statement from the FIA saying it is "constantly monitoring and evaluating the situation".

A report in the Times claims that teams have been issued with two tickets for travel after the Chinese Grand Prix next weekend. One takes them, as planned, to Bahrain while a second ticket is for a return journey home.

It is also possible that insurance concerns, which were key to the decision to scrap the 2011 race, may also come to the fore. Escalating unrest may cause a number of firms to reassess the risk of insuring millions of dollars of equipment in such a volatile state.

While organisers in Bahrain may have a vested interest as they are keen to use the race to promote progress in the country, the FIA says it is happy to trust the judgement of the local authorities. "The FIA is the guarantor of the safety at the race event and relies, as it does in every other country, on the local authorities to guarantee security. In this respect we have been repeatedly assured by the highest authorities in Bahrain that all security matters are under control."

The slick and expensive media campaign waged by the Bahrain organisers seemed to have won over enough critics in recent months, but fresh reports of violence against protestors has led to many to rethink. Having said it was safe to go to Bahrain back in January, Damon Hill changed his stance this week while several British MPs have also called for the race to be cancelled.

Mubarak Al-Khalifa, a government spokesman and a member of the royal family, said: "The only concern we have is that a popular sport is being used as a political tool by violent protestors. I can assure fans the race is going ahead."

Meanwhile, one of Bahrain's youth opposition movements, The February 14th Youth Coalition, has issued a warning to F1's sponsors, organisers and spectators, saying that it will not be able to ensure their safety. The message posted on Facebook also said that the organisers of the race would be considered a part of "the Khalifi bloody and criminal system"."

Didnt seem unsafe at all to me when I was there but I didnt see much I guess. Do you think the race really wont happen?!

Old 04-09-2012, 10:05 AM
FRM
Teamspeed Rookie
FRM has a spectacular aura aboutFRM has a spectacular aura aboutFRM has a spectacular aura aboutFRM has a spectacular aura aboutFRM has a spectacular aura aboutFRM has a spectacular aura aboutFRM has a spectacular aura aboutFRM has a spectacular aura aboutFRM has a spectacular aura aboutFRM has a spectacular aura aboutFRM has a spectacular aura about
I'm also curious to see what the many TS members from Bahrain have to say about this, given their inside on the situation.

Somehow, I think that the information passed by the general media exaggerates the dimension of the so-called Arab Spring in Bahrain.

I think that more than a security issue, the realization of the race will depend on political and PR decisions, with security being the escape to avoid confrontation with the Bahrain officials.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Bo means business
Bonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond repute
those acts tend to increase during F1 races to be used as a power tool for negotiation... IMO i doubt the race would be cancelled this season.. but who knows... its a shame anyways all this is happening to bahrain.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Axman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bonita
those acts tend to increase during F1 races to be used as a power tool for negotiation... IMO i doubt the race would be cancelled this season.. but who knows... its a shame anyways all this is happening to bahrain.
Well said, hope it will not end as last year!

Old 04-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond repute
What security concerns?

Malls are full, roads are full, Saudis/Qataris/Kuwaitis are all over the place, businesses are picking up (not to the extent we'd like though). What is happening is not a threat against any citizen or visitor, it is purely protesting. If there was any concern I wouldn't let my wife leave the house and go to restaurants and coffee shops with her friends, nor would I let my son go to school. Life is normal, and by normal I mean we are used to the sight of tires on fire and broken police cruisers, and I don't see what the big deal is.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Teamspeed Pro
0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MC321
What security concerns?

Malls are full, roads are full, Saudis/Qataris/Kuwaitis are all over the place, businesses are picking up (not to the extent we'd like though). What is happening is not a threat against any citizen or visitor, it is purely protesting. If there was any concern I wouldn't let my wife leave the house and go to restaurants and coffee shops with her friends, nor would I let my son go to school. Life is normal, and by normal I mean we are used to the sight of tires on fire and broken police cruisers, and I don't see what the big deal is.
Agreed 110%. I'll be at BIC come F1. Really looking forward to it

Old 04-09-2012, 02:33 PM
FRM
Teamspeed Rookie
FRM has a spectacular aura aboutFRM has a spectacular aura aboutFRM has a spectacular aura aboutFRM has a spectacular aura aboutFRM has a spectacular aura aboutFRM has a spectacular aura aboutFRM has a spectacular aura aboutFRM has a spectacular aura aboutFRM has a spectacular aura aboutFRM has a spectacular aura aboutFRM has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by MC321
What security concerns?

That described is more of a ghetto violence then the guerrilla style violence that the media portrays and that occur in Syria, Lybia, etc...

One thing is a security problem on a rally like Paris-dakar. Other is a security problem in a kingdom with very limited space in one of the places in the Middle East that better takes care of foreigners and ex-pats.

The Brazilian GP has always been place to security incidents, resulting from the urban criminality, and the GP has never been at risk.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond repute
You think the Government of Bahrain would take the risk of an F1 visitor getting harassed or hurt? I think they'll bend over backwards to make sure everybody has a good time. Some members of the "opposition" have stated that they will not stand in the way of the F1, but will continue to demonstrate, which is their right.

And just to address the above, no one is armed here, so worse case scenario is you getting into an arms length distance from someone, and even then, I doubt they would hurt a foreigner.

Last edited by MC321; 04-09-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
I got my tickets and ready for some F1 action

Old 04-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by graytt
i've got mine and strebos tickets and ready for some f1 action
me2!

Quick Reply: Bahrain Grand Prix May Not Happen?!