Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

Official: The McLaren P1 is here

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 06:57 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
streetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud of
Ok guys I am going to make some wild predictions here based on data I have managed to glean.

I predict by the time the lap times have been tallied up the P1 will be sitting on top of the pile. I base this assumption on a number of factors but here a few.

First, general design. Of the two cars the P1 is certainly the most focused. Before a stylist got near the car the aero department produced the shape using CFD and the wind tunnel, that is why the car appears almost shrink wrapped over the mechanicals. Very much in the same way an F1 car does, this is very much in evidence around the rear deck.

Then we have the moveable aero features which are much larger in area than the Ferrari, are more adjustable and are allowed to work in a much cleaner airstream so making them more efficient. Plus the P1’srear wing has DRS, will act as a massive airbrake and has a blown diffuser.

Again if you examine the CFD data the P1 appears to my ignorant eyes to control the airflow better.

McLaren have claimed over 600KG of down force at 150mph plus over 2G in the corners. When you factor in active ride height and tyres that are more race theory than road you are left with a very serious race weapon.

The Ferrari on the other hand appears more traditional. It looks like it was styled first then they looked for the aero improvements. I could be wrong on this point but the very traditional rear window and rear deck treatment don’t point to optimal aero efficiency, plus the moveable aero devises are a lot smaller and have to work in the dirty air coming off the back of the car. The diffuser also looks a lot less aggressive.

So in conclusion although the Ferrari may be able to out drag the P1 to 300kph, on a track this is likely to carry no significant advantage as I think the P1 will be able to carry more speed in the corners with higher exit speeds due to its superior aerodynamics. This will equate to faster lap times as we all know you gain more speed in the corners and under braking than you do on the straights.

I know none of the above in conclusive and based purely on my observations but I would be willing to bet that I am not far off the truth

Old 03-07-2013, 09:03 AM
Teamspeed Member
latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by Peloton25
I honestly believe that if McLaren were capable of providing you with a test drive of both versions you would come away with a strong preference for the hybrid car.

The other problem is that simply stripping out the hybrid components would leave you with significant turbo lag which that electric motor compensates for, so some heavy re-engineering would be needed with the engine to improve drivability and I don't think you'd come away from it with all of that 727 hp intact.

>8^)
ER
I know, I know. I just get a bit nostalgic for simple, lightweight, high power cars. I'm sure the power train is amazing in concert.

I'm really excited to see the P13. I think it could really be the most groundbreaking car for McLaren. I remember Sheriff saying in Car magazine that they had two displacements of the V8. I wondered if it were a larger one for the P1 or smaller for the P13. Should be interesting....

Old 03-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Cartel...893 is an unknown quantity at this point
Someone said the P1 will be around 10 secs faster at TG?

I wouldn't bet on it. It will be much faster than the Pagani, but 10 sec. at such a short track I can't imagine.

Originally Posted by latterlon
I know, I know. I just get a bit nostalgic for simple, lightweight, high power cars.
Same here. And thats why I like it that Pagani did so well with the Huayra or the Zonda R. The Huayra is actually pretty oldschool beside of the active aero wings and got rear wheel drive.
I hope that lamborghini learn from it and go back to rwd in future, it will make their cars much more exciting and especially lighter.

As for me, I would prefer always a P1 without Hybrid, just if it would have around 900HP, that would be nothing special to achieve + save weight without the hyrbid shit. Of course you would lose the positive aspects of hybrid. What of the 2 concepts would be faster I would not care.

I'm really excited to see the P13. I think it could really be the most groundbreaking car for McLaren. I remember Sheriff saying in Car magazine that they had two displacements of the V8. I wondered if it were a larger one for the P1 or smaller for the P13. Should be interesting....
Are some news out at geneva regarding the P12 or P13?

Or was P12 just the codename for the P1?

Last edited by Cartel...893; 03-07-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Teamspeed Member
latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!latterlon You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
P11 is 12C, P12 is P1, P13 is next.

Ron Dennis himself said in the press intro that they broke the top gear record by 10 seconds during testing.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:54 AM
F yeah!!! tit got me a silver bar..
La Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond repute
^it was pretty unclear..

he said HE BROKE it by 10s when he drove.. then he started talking about star in a reasonably priced car.

So what record is he talking about..

Is it really 10s faster in the hand of Ron than the Huayra on hand cut slick tyres?

If so i would be very very impressed to say the least.

We are talking about a 1.03 time..that 5 second faster than the Zonda R on slicks it did 1.08.

In other words they claim its as fast as the LotusT125 F1 car for private use..IN THE HANDS OF RON?

i doubt it

Old 03-07-2013, 01:16 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
I wonder the size of the team ferrari will send for tests done with their car for reviews. Independent tests will be the ones that truly matter. We all know how ferrari likes to tune and adjust there cars for every little specific test under review. That being said Chris harris is already trying to organize as seen on twitter and seems to have a customers P1 available, now only needs the LaFerrari.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:15 PM
F yeah!!! tit got me a silver bar..
La Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond repute
^Do you expect Mclaren to just drop off a car and walk off?

And for the TG test it will be driven on the very same track where they developed the P1..

How about we bring the P1 to fiorano?

Do you see my point..?

But like you said a independent test by Chris for example would be EPIC..at least he has some integrity.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Dave M You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
I hear what you are saying and agree, but Ferrari has been known to bring two cars for a review for track and for quarter mile/acceleration tests. But bottom line we wont know anything until some real world numbers are produced.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Old 03-07-2013, 05:23 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
NGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really niceNGJR is just really nice
This car has grown on me so much, I absolutely love it.
It's quickly becoming one of my favorite modern day supercar designs.

Low angle shots do it a disservice, IMO.
From a regular point-of-view the stance this car has is just unreal:

Quick Reply: Official: The McLaren P1 is here