Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

My MO MP4-12C professionally detailed

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 01:35 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Vernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura about
My MO MP4-12C professionally detailed

I recently purchased a well optioned MP4-12C from a good friend of mine that was painted in what to me is an iconic color in motorsports, McLaren (Papaya) Orange. The car arrived when I was in England for the Goodwood FoS and Silverstone F1 so the excitement had truly built when I finally got home to see my new pride and joy.

After the initial awe subsided and I was able to analyze the car, I became somewhat disappointed in the quality of the paint. The lines of the car seemed dull and the color just didn't seem as vibrant as I'd hoped. Granted, my expectations were artificially high. Ron Dennis has been for me the inspiration that my friends of the same generation found in Steve Jobs. One of the reasons that led me into McLaren ownership, but I'm veering off-topic. Paint...yes, the paint.

To remedy these issues, this past weekend I had my McLaren Orange MP4-12C professionally detailed by Dust to Glory that services the central Texas area. Michael had come highly recommended by everyone that had used him previously, including some people I know as being extremely hard to impress.

After Michael @ D2G was able to personally inspect the car, it was decided it would need a full compound and polishing of the paint followed by two layers of Cquartz Finest. My particular car, with only 500 miles and a trusted previous owner purchased new from a highly respected Midwest dealer, had many defects in the clear coat. I believe this is just how many come straight from Woking.

In total, Michael spent 3 full days working on the car including 20 hours in compounding and polishing the paint. The results -- truly amazing. I'll admit that I'm a function first, looks second kind of person but seeing the car for the first time after Michael had finished was astonishing. I've fallen even more in love (lust?) with this car.

The lines and depth of shape that were hidden by the (relatively) poor paint finish are a disservice to a car of this caliber. If you haven't already done so, I'd highly suggest you consider the same level of service to your own car. Again this is coming from someone who isn't normally concerned much with the aesthetic details as long as the car performs as expected. I guess the saying holds true, clean cars always seem faster!

I didn't take many pictures of the process myself but you can view D2G's gallery here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1227582&type=1

My MP4-12C Specs:
2012 version (April 2012 build)
McLaren Orange
Carbon Fiber Splitter, Turning Vanes, Diffuser, Engine Covers, Engine Bay Covers
Sport Exhaust with Stealth Pack
Super-Lightweight Forge Wheels – Stealth Finish
Carbon-Ceramic Brakes – McLaren Orange Calipers
Leather Sport Interior (Carbon Black/Orange, Contrast Stitching on Dash)
Carbon Fiber Interior
Electric & Heated Memory Seats (2)
Carbon Fiber Seat Backs and Sill Panels
MSO Steering Wheel

Old 09-11-2012, 05:43 AM
Teamspeed Member
ArDs You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ArDs You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ArDs You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ArDs You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ArDs You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ArDs You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ArDs You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ArDs You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ArDs You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ArDs You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ArDs You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Pretty much exactly the way I'd option my mp4. Beautiful piece! Enjoy it!

Old 09-11-2012, 06:16 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Royal Oak has a reputation beyond reputeRoyal Oak has a reputation beyond reputeRoyal Oak has a reputation beyond reputeRoyal Oak has a reputation beyond reputeRoyal Oak has a reputation beyond reputeRoyal Oak has a reputation beyond reputeRoyal Oak has a reputation beyond reputeRoyal Oak has a reputation beyond reputeRoyal Oak has a reputation beyond reputeRoyal Oak has a reputation beyond reputeRoyal Oak has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice, this pic really exposes the paint well imho:

Enjoy it!

Old 09-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Ritesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond repute
Holy Cow! That color really Pops!! Congratulations on adding the Mp4!

Old 09-12-2012, 10:36 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Congrats on the car! Detail turned out great!

Old 09-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
texanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond repute
Wow i really love this color on the car, great pick

Old 09-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
AudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond repute
This is my favorite spec on the MP4. Exactly how I would order it. Enjoy her in good health my friend.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:06 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Vernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura aboutVernor75 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Ritesh, we need to get a McLaren group together for a Texas drive! I'm happy to host a central TX meetup. North TX works well for me too, all my family is still there.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:09 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Superfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond repute
Gorgeous 12C. As stated by others, absolutely perfect. That's a fantastic job on the detailing.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:42 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
If you don't mind me asking, was this Graham's 12C by chance?

Quick Reply: My MO MP4-12C professionally detailed