Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

"Mega Mac" to be unveiled in May

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Teamspeed Member
ANDYC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ANDYC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ANDYC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ANDYC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ANDYC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ANDYC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ANDYC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ANDYC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ANDYC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ANDYC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ANDYC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by d3a
I got some info from an independent person who actually works-has a project with McLaren

He said me P11 - P12 and P13 make widespread use of carryover. Almost all the components P11 is used also in P13(baby mclaren) and P12("mega mac"), could be a partial disappointment even if certain things only insiders can know.

P13 will be exactly half way between a Cayman and a 991.

He told me that McLaren unfortunately, from separation by Mercedes, has lost so much know-how.
Makes economical sense to carry over parts,everyone else does it!At least they will be bespoke Mclaren parts!!
And im pleased they lost much of the Mercedes know-how or they wouldnt be in the position they are now,depends on how you view information it can be seen as either postitive or negative depending on your point of view.
A mid-engined 450bhp cayman with a Mclaren badge and a carbon tub,everything porsche wanted to do but couldnt as it would kill the 911????

Last edited by ANDYC; 03-19-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Former Sponsor
ADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond repute
Can't wait to see this thing. Sure it might not be the perfect successor of the original but it will certainly be a nutty car.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:11 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
falb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by d3a
I got some info from an independent person who actually works-has a project with McLaren

He said me P11 - P12 and P13 make widespread use of carryover. Almost all the components P11 is used also in P13(baby mclaren) and P12("mega mac"), could be a partial disappointment even if certain things only insiders can know.

P13 will be exactly half way between a Cayman and a 991.

He told me that McLaren unfortunately, from separation by Mercedes, has lost so much know-how.
Don't you mean that Mercedes lost so much know-how by getting dumped by McLaren?

Old 03-20-2012, 01:12 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
falb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond repute
Ron Dennis may have said it best....The 12C is faster than the F1 around any road corse in the world.

The P12 will be awesome and very exclusive.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:02 AM
Teamspeed Member
jhietter You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jhietter You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jhietter You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jhietter You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jhietter You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jhietter You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jhietter You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jhietter You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jhietter You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jhietter You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jhietter You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
McLaren should team up with BMW again.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:48 AM
d3a
Teamspeed Senior Member
d3a will become famous soon enoughd3a will become famous soon enoughd3a will become famous soon enoughd3a will become famous soon enoughd3a will become famous soon enoughd3a will become famous soon enoughd3a will become famous soon enoughd3a will become famous soon enoughd3a will become famous soon enough
@AndyC & Falb:
I agree mclaren can trasfer a lot of things from formula 1 racing but also mercedes was good for assembling's attention and for sure mercedes has more money for r&d

Old 03-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Guest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond repute
More interested in the smaller McLaren - hopefully it will be attainable and usable on the road.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TAHorizon has a spectacular aura aboutTAHorizon has a spectacular aura aboutTAHorizon has a spectacular aura aboutTAHorizon has a spectacular aura aboutTAHorizon has a spectacular aura aboutTAHorizon has a spectacular aura aboutTAHorizon has a spectacular aura aboutTAHorizon has a spectacular aura aboutTAHorizon has a spectacular aura aboutTAHorizon has a spectacular aura aboutTAHorizon has a spectacular aura about
The new car will also be more liveable than the F1, including using a conventional two-seater layout instead of the F1’s three-seater set-up. But he says what it lacks in purity it will make up for with more technology.
F1 successor FAIL.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Teamspeed Member
ANDYC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ANDYC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ANDYC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ANDYC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ANDYC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ANDYC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ANDYC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ANDYC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ANDYC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ANDYC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ANDYC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by d3a
@AndyC & Falb:
I agree mclaren can trasfer a lot of things from formula 1 racing but also mercedes was good for assembling's attention and for sure mercedes has more money for r&d
d3a,thats the whole point,Mclaren are a race team that have 1500 employees to produce 2 cars per annum,their whole ethos is about r&d,they just happened to start a car company that can benefit from it.They can think outside the box,but normal car companies cannot,thats why they have a handfull of employees that put together the fabulous show cars with state of the art technology,but never build them.Why is that?? Bean counters!
Mclaren dont have those restrictions and its unique,they have the most advanced car simulator and wind tunnel anyhwere in the industry,the problem i think is that no-one can find a box to put them in because they do not conform to the rest of the automotive norm.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:27 AM
MPB
Teamspeed Rookie
MPB is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm really concerned about the way this car will look. I remember thinking "Oh no!" when hearing Frank Stephenson was made head of design at McLaren. It's just my opinion but I'n not a fan of his work. I think the Ferrari's done under him were just horrible. The f430 is just plain ugly, I still can't get over how heavy handed and horribly shaped the front intakes are. And let's not even speak about the mini or the Alfa's done under him(just look at how bad the Mito's design language looks next to the beautifully elegant 159).

I just can't see him making something as subtle, elegant and timeless as the F1. I'm not saying I want a copy of the F1, but I hope for something that us McLaren fans can look back at in 10 years and say "It still looks good".

Quick Reply: "Mega Mac" to be unveiled in May