Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

"Mega Mac" to be unveiled in May

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 06:34 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
I'd just like to point out that there was never a goal during the development of the F1 to have it be the fastest car in the world. Rather it was just a positive consequence of a brilliant package McLaren Cars developed. With the performance the Gordon Murray wanted from his engine and the slippery design they covered the car with it ultimately went a whole lot faster than they intended or imagined.

It's also important to note that while they set a fairly unofficial top speed of 231 mph for the F1 in 1993 with XP3 at the Nardo Ring before production began, they waited until production had ceased before they ever bothered to see how fast it could really go, using XP5 at VW's Ehra Lessien test track in Germany. If having the highest top speed had really been a target for them they'd have tested it right out of the box for an official result the way we see Bugatti, Koenigsegg and other manufacturers doing today.

As for the 3-seater layout - yes, that was one of the things that makes the F1 truly special but it is unfortunately not practical with today's mandated safety standards for side impacts. In order to have occupants in those outer seats remain safe in a crash the car would have to be much wider than is practical.

Look at it this way - the F1 was the best they could do in 1992 and McLaren P12 will be the best that they can offer under present conditions. A lot has changed in 20 years.

>8^)
ER

Old 03-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Teamspeed Contributing Editor
Oversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond repute
"Mega Mac" is such a lame tag. I'd much rather walk into a dealership and say, "Can I please order a Big Mac."

Old 03-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
WindSpeed is on a distinguished roadWindSpeed is on a distinguished roadWindSpeed is on a distinguished road
I don't care too much about the top speed, of course I don't mean it can be anything, but 350 KPH would be right. But no three seater?? That's plainly wrong!

Old 03-19-2012, 12:21 AM
Teamspeed Member
jhietter You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jhietter You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jhietter You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jhietter You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jhietter You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jhietter You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jhietter You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jhietter You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jhietter You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jhietter You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jhietter You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
For all the people complaining, thank your elected politicians. McLaren can only build what safety regulations allow for. While we would all love to see another V12 3 seater but there are far too many regulatory barriers that either make it too expensive or impractical to build.

How many times does this point need to be made in the article and in responses?

So far we've heard this will be a 900+ hp twin turbo supercar with stunningly futuristic styling and the most advanced technology on the road. I am sorry if this is not good enough for so many of you. If you don't like the car, don't buy it. Put your energy into something you do like instead of what you don't.

Last edited by jhietter; 03-19-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:55 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mahzari You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
If they can't make a three seater, there should be an option to get a single, center seat and two rear view mirrors

On a more serious note, I'm sure this car will be a technological masterpiece, just like every McLaren is. I'm excited to see Lamborghini, Ferrari, Koenigsegg, and Pagani's response to this vehicle.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:35 AM
Teamspeed Pro
clemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond reputeclemson3 has a reputation beyond repute
Why all the hate? It's going to be a McLaren hypercar. It's gonna whoop ass

Old 03-19-2012, 02:39 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Oversteer Overlord
"Mega Mac" is such a lame tag. I'd much rather walk into a dealership and say, "Can I please order a Big Mac."

I was thinking the same thing

Old 03-19-2012, 05:59 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
WindSpeed is on a distinguished roadWindSpeed is on a distinguished roadWindSpeed is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jhietter
For all the people complaining, thank your elected politicians. McLaren can only build what safety regulations allow for. While we would all love to see another V12 3 seater but there are far too many regulatory barriers that either make it too expensive or impractical to build.

How many times does this point need to be made in the article and in responses?

So far we've heard this will be a 900+ hp twin turbo supercar with stunningly futuristic styling and the most advanced technology on the road. I am sorry if this is not good enough for so many of you. If you don't like the car, don't buy it. Put your energy into something you do like instead of what you don't.

Yes, you're right. I actually think this car will be fantastic, it isn't the case that I think the car will be fully wrong (just expected the F1 seat configuration a lot), Otherwise I'm pretty sure I'll be blown away by the new car. BTW, I don't really think they should speak of an F1 successor in any way... I don't think there can be one.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
streetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud ofstreetrod454 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Peloton25
I'd just like to point out that there was never a goal during the development of the F1 to have it be the fastest car in the world. Rather it was just a positive consequence of a brilliant package McLaren Cars developed. With the performance the Gordon Murray wanted from his engine and the slippery design they covered the car with it ultimately went a whole lot faster than they intended or imagined.

It's also important to note that while they set a fairly unofficial top speed of 231 mph for the F1 in 1993 with XP3 at the Nardo Ring before production began, they waited until production had ceased before they ever bothered to see how fast it could really go, using XP5 at VW's Ehra Lessien test track in Germany. If having the highest top speed had really been a target for them they'd have tested it right out of the box for an official result the way we see Bugatti, Koenigsegg and other manufacturers doing today.

As for the 3-seater layout - yes, that was one of the things that makes the F1 truly special but it is unfortunately not practical with today's mandated safety standards for side impacts. In order to have occupants in those outer seats remain safe in a crash the car would have to be much wider than is practical.

Look at it this way - the F1 was the best they could do in 1992 and McLaren P12 will be the best that they can offer under present conditions. A lot has changed in 20 years.

>8^)
ER
As per usual Peloton is right. The F1's top speed was purely a coincidence and was never a goal. And let’s be honest as long as it tops 200mph who gives a stuff?

As for the 3 seater layout again the fact that they have to use the current tub, current safety rules plus the fact that if you are a let’s say a little on the heavy side, then getting into a centre seat layout is almost impossible. Therefore possibly alienating a large proportion of you possible client base.

As a bunch of purest on here we may lament the passing of these things but let’s be honest most of us here are unlikely to be in the market for this car.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:27 PM
d3a
Teamspeed Senior Member
d3a will become famous soon enoughd3a will become famous soon enoughd3a will become famous soon enoughd3a will become famous soon enoughd3a will become famous soon enoughd3a will become famous soon enoughd3a will become famous soon enoughd3a will become famous soon enoughd3a will become famous soon enough
I got some info from an independent person who actually works-has a project with McLaren

He said me P11 - P12 and P13 make widespread use of carryover. Almost all the components P11 is used also in P13(baby mclaren) and P12("mega mac"), could be a partial disappointment even if certain things only insiders can know.

P13 will be exactly half way between a Cayman and a 991.

He told me that McLaren unfortunately, from separation by Mercedes, has lost so much know-how.

Quick Reply: "Mega Mac" to be unveiled in May