Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

Is the McLaren MP4-12C a lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Teamspeed Member
SirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really nice
Post Is the McLaren MP4-12C a lemon?

Is the McLaren MP4-12C a lemon?
The McLaren MP4-12C has won nothing but plaudits from those who've been fortunate enough to drive one. Among those fortunate enough to pay at least $230,000 for one, there's a different story emerging — about broken parts, defective doors and unkept promises from the factory.

The early success of the MP4-12C has McLaren chief Ron Dennis talking about turning the boutique British company into a billion-dollar enterprise, with two additional models and a healthy expansion into Asia. Just today, Dennis said McLaren hopes to eventually build 4,000 cars a year with a steady waiting list of about a year's worth of business. The wait for a MP4-12C right now is two years, which Dennis called simply "not good."

Here's one reason why.

The photo below shows a McLaren service center in England last week with at least three MP4-12CS present for a repair to their door-opening mechanisms. It's a bugaboo that McLaren is reportedly ordering to every MP4-12C built so far after several reports of the scissor doors failing in wet conditions and problems with the touch-sensor opening.

If that was the only issue, there wouldn't be much hubbub. But its not.

Several McLaren owners have reported a cornucopia of other problems, including the vehicle immobilizer, brake hoses, navigation systems that won't work and even defective glass seals around the engine cover. One British owner detailed a Lucas-esque level of electrical gremlins: a screen stuck on Feb. 23 in September, telling him his next service was due in 26,000 days, leaving the radio on five minutes after the car had been parked and warning him three of his tires had been punctured:

None of these in isolation is a big deal but together, well it's just unfinished. I have to say Mclaren have been very good and have already been out to me twice to repair a couple of other problems. I understand a fix for all of these things should be available in the next couple of weeks. I am however expecting it to be flawless once it has been done.

Other would-be McLaren drivers are not so patient, especially with the defects apparently causing backups at the factory, pushing delivery dates back:

Would have been nice to have got mine but in the end I just couldn't put up with the endless broken promises of delivery dates, non information, misinformation and people not contacting me when asked to, final straw was they started bumping cars ahead of mine on what appeared to be a 'who shouts loudest' policy and believe me I was shouting but clearly at the wrong person. Perhaps it's for the best because if after all that had have happened bits started not working then I think I'd have driven it through the front of the showroom!

Which, according to one Jalopnik tipster, has led McLaren to offer upset owners and those still waiting for their keys a special consolation package, including a free 32Gb McLaren iPod Touch, a $7,800 rebate, a free installation of the IRIS voice-controlled navigation system when it's finally ready — and, most importantly, a photograph of their car or similar signed by both Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button.

This final step shows the kind of world-beating savvy McLaren will rely on to become a billion-dollar business. The next time you get your Chevy fixed, don't leave the dealer without Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s signature on something.

Hat tip to MrQuick!
Source to this story Jalopnik:
http://jalopnik.com/5843016/is-the-m...p4+12c-a-lemon

Old 09-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
hg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant future
pshop of that yellow MP4 looks pretty good

Old 09-24-2011, 12:38 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
This is a clear example of why you shouldn't own a car in it's first year of production or batch.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:22 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't see how it is a clear example of anything other than more trashy sensationalist journalism from Jalopnik.

The definition of a Lemon as it refers to cars is one that has recurring problems that the company is unable to satisfactorily repair. That isn't the case at all with the 12C and it is clear from reading comments from several owners - not just the ones handpicked by Jalopnik to help give their story some credibility - that McLaren are going out of their way to sort the issues for customers with repairs happening swiftly and every concern being addressed.

As I said elsewhere - it is a new car from a new manufacturer and bound to have some early issues. You're also dealing with a new dealer network and new channels of communication. I am sure McLaren are trying their very best but anyone who expected a flawless launch of their first car had some flawed thinking.

>8^)
ER

Last edited by Peloton25; 09-24-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:25 PM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
Peloton to the rescue^^^ wise words mate

Old 09-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Turboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond repute
Twice the pride, double the fall.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Banned
gmaccormack is an unknown quantity at this point
The first 458's use to catch fire if you sneezed inside one. Give them time.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:17 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
diskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond reputediskreet has a reputation beyond repute
It's British, /thread

Old 09-25-2011, 12:35 AM
Teamspeed Member
SirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really niceSirSpeedy7 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Peloton25
I don't see how it is a clear example of anything other than more trashy sensationalist journalism from Jalopnik.

The definition of a Lemon as it refers to cars is one that has recurring problems that the company is unable to satisfactorily repair. That isn't the case at all with the 12C and it is clear from reading comments from several owners - not just the ones handpicked by Jalopnik to help give their story some credibility - that McLaren are going out of their way to sort the issues for customers with repairs happening swiftly and every concern being addressed.

As I said elsewhere - it is a new car from a new manufacturer and bound to have some early issues. You're also dealing with a new dealer network and new channels of communication. I am sure McLaren are trying their very best but anyone who expected a flawless launch of their first car had some flawed thinking.

>8^)
ER
I agree with you, just was sharing the article.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:44 AM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by diskreet
It's British, /thread
This.