Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

The Official McLaren F1 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:15 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Winchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Peloton25
Photo I snapped last night - what an incredibly special place.

>8^)
ER
; LUCKY!!!

Old 02-17-2012, 04:36 AM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by munch
@Peloton25

Would you happen to know how many McLaren F1 there are currently in the UK / are UK registered cars..
Always been curious and would love to see a few more!
I can't offer you a solid count as the cars do tend to move around from time to time but the number is right around two dozen or just slightly more.

In this slide that McLaren shared during a presentation at Pebble Beach this past summer you can see they list a figure of 17 cars in the UK.

Click to enlarge

The data presented here was accurate information as of early August 2011 and has changed quite a bit since then as cars continue to move around. Also it is important to note this only includes F1 road cars and other variants that are road registered such as F1 LMs, GTs and also road converted GTRs. For instance, there are definitely two F1s in Canada, but one is a longtail GTR and none of them have been converted for road use so it is not represented here.

In particular to your specific interest, the UK number might also be lacking some of the cars that remain in McLaren's own private collection - perhaps as many as 6. When the 21 F1s gathered at the McLaren Technology Centre in early 2011 only two of those cars were not UK F1s and I know of at least 4 UK cars that did not make the event.

Also, in case anyone wonders why there weren't more cars from other locations in the world it was because the dust cloud from that recent volcano eruption in Iceland prevented many others who wished to bring their cars from being flown in.

Originally Posted by Winchm60
; LUCKY!!!
Indeed! I said this elsewhere too - the most amazing thing in Jay Leno's Garage is really Jay Leno. Within a minute of getting there I was in the passenger seat of a car from the 1910's with him at the wheel as we headed up the block for a test after they had finished some repair work. He is so down to earth, friendly and normal that you almost instantly forget about who he is and it just became a couple of guys talking about cars. It was an honor to get the invitation.

>8^)
ER

Last edited by Peloton25; 02-17-2012 at 04:47 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:11 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Winchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Peloton25
Indeed! I said this elsewhere too - the most amazing thing in Jay Leno's Garage is really Jay Leno. Within a minute of getting there I was in the passenger seat of a car from the 1910's with him at the wheel as we headed up the block for a test after they had finished some repair work. He is so down to earth, friendly and normal that you almost instantly forget about who he is and it just became a couple of guys talking about cars. It was an honor to get the invitation.

>8^)
ER
You do keep hearing that about him; so glad he shares his collection at meets and such even if you don't get an invitation to his garage.

BTW, i'm also surprised at the number of cars in the US. Guess that makes my chances of owning one a little better if there's selection.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Banned
gmaccormack is an unknown quantity at this point
Eric disregard my rep comment.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:36 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
No worries. These two cars will likely be together for a good long time.

It is Erik btw.

>8^)
ER

Old 02-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Banned
I guess I will defer to you on the correct spelling of your name... This time

Old 02-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Skid Marx is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi guys...

Not that new to the forum. but signed up only recently.

Erik...I've been reading your post in another forum for quite some time now. And I've lined up my questions before you're gonna start charging for anwers

1). What's the story behind the red car with No10 on your avtar ? is it Nick Mason's car ?

2). Also on the F1 map, you have noted 2 cars in the middle east. Are they both in Bahrain ?. My info tells me that one is an LM owned by the crown prince and the other is owned by the gentlemen (KAR) who's company constructed the Sakhir F1 circuit there. I think he is a memeber of this forum (seen pictures on the magnificant collection. Mind = Blown)

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Banned
The orange f1 in Bahrain is a gtr converted for road use not a LM. And the you are right on the second car.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:46 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Actually, according to sources the orange GTR in Bahrain (#08R by the way) has not been converted for road use yet. It may occasionally be driven on the road, but being a member of the ruling party of a country tends to have its privileges. His brother, the Crown Prince, has a silver F1 road car.

The black car in "Mo's" garage was not yet in Bahrain when that chart was compiled and is one of the cars that has moved since. It came from Japan and would have been counted there.

There is a white car F1 road car, chassis #053, that was spotted in the cargo hold of an airplane supposedly headed for the Middle East back in 2007. The car has not been spotted since but I believe it may be the second car referenced on the chart in the bubble there in addition to the Crown Prince's road car.

As for the red GTR in my avatar - yes, that is now Nick Mason's. It is chassis #10R and was the development car for the 1996 BPR Global GT season for McLaren. A couple of years ago the car was driven off the road by a journalist and in the process of the repairs Nick had them restore the car's original Presentation livery with the yellow "GTR" script and associated decals so it now looks like this:

See more of the car in this gallery on InsideLine.com:

2012 McLaren MP4-12C vs. 1995 McLaren F1

>8^)
ER

Old 02-20-2012, 06:59 PM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute

Quick Reply: The Official McLaren F1 Thread