Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

The Official McLaren F1 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 04:22 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
Should be #020 in the UK with its original owner. Probably in the 70,000 mile range or perhaps higher by now. He drives it all over Europe for motorsports and historic events.

Here's a couple of good videos that feature the car:

Fifth Gear - McLaren F1 - YouTube

The guy who says "Most fun you can have with your clothes on" is the owner.

McLaren F1 Discovery Channel Ultimate Cars - YouTube

Former F1 commentator, Murray Walker, gets behind the wheel:

Murray Walker drives the Mc Laren F1 - YouTube

>8^)
ER

Last edited by Peloton25; 01-15-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:28 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
E, in the last video is that a standard F1 with just the larger rear wing and massive front lip spoiler added?

Old 01-15-2012, 04:48 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
It is the same car in all three videos.

And yes - #020 is standard road car now fitted with the "High Downforce Kit" or "LM Kit" as some refer to it. This adds the front nose piece and splitter, rear wing and larger wheels found on the GTRs and LMs to a road car. It also disables the brake balance foil at the rear of the F1 and lowers the ride height slightly.

When #020 was originally built those components were yet to be conceived. There are currently 9 F1 road cars that wear this upgrade package. There was a 10th car, chassis #069, but a couple of years back the owner had it returned to its original form. None of those F1 road cars were originally finished this way though - they have all been done as refits.

Here's a photo of #020 taken pre-HDF Kit, when it still wore its original 'Mid Blue Pearl' paintwork.

>8^)
ER

Last edited by Peloton25; 01-15-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
RFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant futureRFFG has a brilliant future
Peloton, do you have an F1 blog?

If not, you should...this way all your knowledge can be somewhat "centered" somewhere.

or something like that lol

Old 01-15-2012, 05:44 PM
McLaren Fanatic
I'm not much for traditional blogging per se.

There is a forum I moderate on the F1 that is the single greatest place for discussing the cars and it includes contributions from several other like-minded people from around the world. After all, I certainly didn't figure all these things out on my own and couldn't do what I do without their assistance. We've been at it with quite a bit of intensity for the past 9 years over there so its a lot to take in for a newcomer. I'd suggest starting with the threads linked in the 'Best of the Best' sticky at the top if you choose to take a look. Even getting through those will take you some hours.

Then I have threads like this one I participate in on different forums all over the web. I even started a thread on a German-language forum last week and have been entering my posts in English and then translating and duplicating the text into German using online tools so that I don't run afoul with the administrators there who wish for it to be a German-speaking forum. It's kind of silly because most of the people looking in on the thread can clearly read and understand English so they get a good lachen over how the web translators butcher what I've written.

I am forum agnostic - meaning I will go wherever I can find people to talk about the McLaren F1 or who are already talking about them and then I try to keep the stories straight and add value whenever I can. I try not to get involved in any of the forum politics and also try not to step on any toes in the process. The other day I shared some photos from here on what could be considered a 'rival forum' and gave credit to the person and place they came from. I went back later and saw my post had been edited (with zero notice from the moderator who did it) to remove that credit I supplied. Stuff like that is a bit juvenile to me but I guess that is how it goes.

I'm even reluctant to share the link to AF.com here since I don't want to be seen as diverting anyone away from TeamSpeed. I believe DJ has a great thing going here we are all lucky to be a part of. However, for people who are passionate about the McLaren F1 and have not managed to find that forum on their own, I think it is unfortunate.

>8^)
ER

Last edited by Peloton25; 01-15-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:50 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Just noticed I messed up linking to the hires version of this shot above.

Originally Posted by Peloton25
Here's a photo of #020 taken pre-HDF Kit, when it still wore its original 'Mid Blue Pearl' paintwork.

Try it again now since I missed the brief window I have to fix my mistakes.

>8^)
ER

Old 01-16-2012, 06:31 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
wiseguy has a spectacular aura aboutwiseguy has a spectacular aura aboutwiseguy has a spectacular aura aboutwiseguy has a spectacular aura aboutwiseguy has a spectacular aura aboutwiseguy has a spectacular aura aboutwiseguy has a spectacular aura aboutwiseguy has a spectacular aura aboutwiseguy has a spectacular aura aboutwiseguy has a spectacular aura aboutwiseguy has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Peloton25
Chassis #016 in Hong Kong, displayed during the MP4-12C unveiling party.

>8^)
ER
nice, are these two available for viewing for the public?

Old 01-16-2012, 09:30 AM
Teamspeed Member
bbbaazzzz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!bbbaazzzz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!bbbaazzzz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!bbbaazzzz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!bbbaazzzz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!bbbaazzzz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!bbbaazzzz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!bbbaazzzz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!bbbaazzzz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!bbbaazzzz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!bbbaazzzz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Hey Peloton,

Few questions:

what's the quarter mile time for a F1 ? And is there a difference between a F1 and a F1 LM in time ?

0-62 ? Is there a exact time ?

Has there been any mclarens that have been tuned ? Such as turbo etc

Is there a McLaren that has paddle shift ?

And last but not least can you please share any races (preferably straight line) between a McLaren and other super/hyper car besides the Bugatti race.

Thanx

Last edited by bbbaazzzz; 01-16-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:37 AM
McLaren Fanatic
Originally Posted by wiseguy
nice, are these two available for viewing for the public?
That event occurred in April of 2011. There might be another upcoming event for their dealership opening but you'd have to inquire direct with them.

Originally Posted by bbbaazzzz
Hey Peloton,

Few questions:
Answers in blue...

what's the quarter mile time for a F1 ?

11.1 sec @ 138 mph was the time AutoCar achieved

And is there a difference between a F1 and a F1 LM in time ?

I don't believe a true quarter mile figure has ever been published for the LM. There was this chart published by CAR Magazine comparing acceleration in gear which was a by product of the 0-100-0 testing they documented.

0-62 ? Is there a exact time ?

F1 = 3.2 seconds - F1 LM = 3.9 seconds. The LM time was slower because of surface traction issues in the place it was tested

Has there been any mclarens that have been tuned ? Such as turbo etc

None that I am aware of.

Is there a McLaren that has paddle shift ?

F1s, no, but the MP4-12C does.

And last but not least can you please share any races (preferably straight line) between a McLaren and other super/hyper car besides the Bugatti race.
I don't have the time at the moment to scrub YouTube but there are one or two videos out there. Maybe someone else can assist?

>8^)
ER

Old 01-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Teamspeed Member
Slick67 will become famous soon enoughSlick67 will become famous soon enoughSlick67 will become famous soon enoughSlick67 will become famous soon enoughSlick67 will become famous soon enoughSlick67 will become famous soon enoughSlick67 will become famous soon enoughSlick67 will become famous soon enoughSlick67 will become famous soon enoughSlick67 will become famous soon enough
I've searrched for almost an hour, and the only videos I can come up with, besides the drag race against the Veyron, were against a 1000bhp Supra, and against a stock R33 Skyline. When I have more time, i'll delve into it a little deeper.

Quick Reply: The Official McLaren F1 Thread