Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

The Official McLaren F1 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011 | 12:19 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
revio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond repute

Old 06-14-2011 | 02:16 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow - Martin has really outdone himself with that shot! Awesome!!

>8^)
ER

Old 06-14-2011 | 04:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Winchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond reputeWinchm60 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by revio

Old 06-15-2011 | 04:23 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
no limits is on a distinguished roadno limits is on a distinguished roadno limits is on a distinguished roadno limits is on a distinguished road
Does anyone have more info on this car.
I know its an F1 with the LM upgrade but one thing that I have noticed on this one that no other F1, GTR has is its fender vents.

If anyone has more pics pls post them up.

I think this is the most sexiest looking F1 out. I love the color combination of the exterior and interior.

Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2011 | 05:58 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Ludas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond repute
Hmmm I like everything except for the fender vents. I like the more subtle fender vents on the GTRs and LMs, this is a bit too much imo. Other than that, gorgeous.

Old 06-15-2011 | 06:14 AM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
There were two F1 road cars which were upgraded with LM-spec engines. This one you are inquiring about is chassis #018 and is currently in New Zealand. The other is chassis #073 and is in the USA, in Florida. This work took place after the production run of F1s had long since been completed. McLaren realized they had the spare engines and put the offer out to customers to see if any were interested in the upgrades.

Both cars are fairly identical except for paint color and the special wheels you'll find on #073. The vents over the front fenders you have keyed in on with #018 are fitted to both of these cars and were referred to as the "Extra High Downforce Kit" when #073 was sold at auction. These are the only two standard F1 road cars that feature them, but they are meant to mimic the look of the same style of vents you will find on the nose of the longtail F1 GTRs, and additionally the F1 GT longtail road cars.

Here's some of the better pics of #073 for reference:

Since you prefer the Dark Silver car, here's a sampling of some of the best that I have of it.

You may have noticed very clearly in this last pic the sign here is giving the impression that the car is an F1 LM. In the last pic in the set for #073, the Michelin display stand also noted the car as an F1 LM as have other displays for #073 over the years. I think the reason they do this is because it's an easy answer and I kind of understand that. However, when you go to the trouble of making a display sign like that, you have room to tell the full story and people who are really interested will read it and learn something.

Even with all the changes, including the addition of the engine, McLaren have not transformed these two F1s into LMs. A real LM is still very much different than these two cars. There's a bit of disservice done to the enthusiast when this pair are simply branded as F1 LMs in my opinion.

Adding to the story, neither of these cars wears the "F1 LM" badge anywhere on the car - something McLaren certainly could have added to each of them if they felt it was appropriate. Neither car had its chassis number changed to be LM6 or LM7 either; they are still road cars #018 and #073.

The reality, again in my opinion, is that the real story is actually more interesting. This pair of road cars has become the most rare form of McLaren F1 ever made essentially, as there were a total of three F1 GTs that were built. So while it's much easier to say they are LMs, I really wish the owners would put a little more effort into telling the complete story, as without these details people just end up being confused.

>8^)
ER

Last edited by Peloton25; 06-15-2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-15-2011 | 09:34 AM
Teamspeed Member
hurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond repute
#073 - meh

#018 -

Old 06-15-2011 | 10:44 AM
McLaren Fanatic
I'd like to buy #073 and put the original paint back on it and change the wheels to the standard 5-spoke OZ's. I think that would solve all the "meh" issues quite quickly.

For those who will ask, the original paint color was listed as "Mercedes Green Velvet" and while we don't have any photos of the car wearing it, there are a couple of screengrabs from a video where the car could be seen in the background during its first refit that added the High Downforce Kit.

>8^)
ER

Last edited by Peloton25; 06-15-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-15-2011 | 01:28 PM
Teamspeed Member
hurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond repute
That's more like it - less 'look at me' more subtlety

Old 06-15-2011 | 06:32 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
revio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond reputerevio has a reputation beyond repute

Quick Reply: The Official McLaren F1 Thread