Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

The Official McLaren F1 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010 | 07:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
Which bookstore did you find it at? I checked Borders last week and they did not have it.

Old 06-20-2010 | 09:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman
Which bookstore did you find it at? I checked Borders last week and they did not have it.
Barnes & Noble.

Old 06-20-2010 | 09:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
smy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Barnes & Noble.
Same place I got mine!

Old 06-21-2010 | 05:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks to both of you! I will head over there this evening.

Old 06-21-2010 | 06:07 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
Erik, got a question for you.

I was just watching reruns of Topgear and was wondering....

They used a purple McLaren F1 on an episode of new supercars (zonda, Enzo, carrera gt) versus the old (F40, F1, xj220).

Was this the same F1 they used last year in that race in Dubai with the red Veyron? I just noticed both were the same color.

Old 06-21-2010 | 06:21 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes - TopGear used the same F1 in both instances. It is chassis #061 and belongs to Rowan Atkinson (aka Mr Bean). The color isn't really purple, but the filters TopGear uses in their filming process did tend to have that effect on the paint - especially in that earlier clip you reference. It's was actually painted "Dark Burgundy" but its one of those paint colors that tends to shift around in different light. Here's a nice image of the car from the filming in Abu Dhabi.

There's another gallery of images included with this article:

http://www.insideline.com/features/2...claren-f1.html

>8^)
ER

Old 06-22-2010 | 01:09 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
That race looked too close. Do you think its was rigged or legit?

Old 06-22-2010 | 02:54 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Peloton25
Yes - TopGear used the same F1 in both instances. It is chassis #061 and belongs to Rowan Atkinson (aka Mr Bean). The color isn't really purple, but the filters TopGear uses in their filming process did tend to have that effect on the paint - especially in that earlier clip you reference. It's was actually painted "Dark Burgundy" but its one of those paint colors that tends to shift around in different light. Here's a nice image of the car from the filming in Abu Dhabi.

There's another gallery of images included with this article:

2009 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 vs. 1997 McLaren F1

>8^)
ER
Thanks Erik! I thought that was the case. So Topgear just calls up Mr Bean if they need an F1 So they had to fly the car out just for that episode (as I assume it still belongs to Rowan)?

Is it also true this is his 2nd F1? I heard somewhere a while back, he had an accident with the first one and then bought a second one as a result?

Originally Posted by calypso
The F1 is faster than what most perceive, I think it's 100% legit.

Old 06-22-2010 | 06:14 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Bronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mike S
Thanks Erik! I thought that was the case. So Topgear just calls up Mr Bean if they need an F1 So they had to fly the car out just for that episode (as I assume it still belongs to Rowan)?

Is it also true this is his 2nd F1? I heard somewhere a while back, he had an accident with the first one and then bought a second one as a result?

The F1 is faster than what most perceive, I think it's 100% legit.
The Bugatti also had to cope with the immense heat in the ME. Those turbos won't work as affectively as usual. Would be interesting to see how the race would turn out in e.g. Great Britain instead

Old 06-22-2010 | 06:50 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Ludas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by calypso
Personally I think Hammond didn't really floor it in the beginning. The Bugatti is 4WD and has a launch controle. No way the F1 can get away quicker...

Quick Reply: The Official McLaren F1 Thread