Notices
Maserati | Alfa Romeo | General Italian Quattroporte, Gran Turismo, MC12, 4C, Guilia & More Discussion Forum.

GranTurismo Sport...Thoughts and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
GranTurismo Sport...Thoughts and Experiences

I've done some reading through the Maser threads to get some insights on the GT, but thought I'd step up my 'research' with a direct question of your experiences and thoughts on the new GT-Sport.

Basically: my current DD is a Porsche Carrera GTS...great car, sporty as hell, tons of fun to drive...and more freakin road noise that anything else. As much as I love it, I'm simply getting worn out having to listen to the tires and road noise over everything else when I'm driving.

The other problem is: I'm not entirely interested in the 991. Driven it...it's nice...a lot less road noise so I can hear more of what I want to (exhaust, engine, etc)...but for some reason not exactly grabbing my desires.

So I looked around at different cars. RS5 is nice...but I'm not in love with it. Same with R8 (and I want/need something a little more practical). Astons...not for me. Not interested in the M5/6 and MB doesn't have anything that really makes me 'want'. The XK-RS just looks like a hopped-up version of an old car to me (sorry Jaguar guys). Ferraris are out of my league...

But then I'm over at the Maserati/Bentley/McLaren dealer with a friend and it hits me: the GT-S might be it. Fantastic interior. Ferrari engine and better yet, Ferrari SOUND. Great balance of daily comfort with a sporty edge to it. Oh...did I mention the SOUND??? I also loved the fact that I can HEAR the engine and exhaust, but NOT the road.

And it drives surprisingly small for the size of the car. Relatively nimble...FAST...I can hold the gear where I want in Manual mode. And there's room for my family. Right now, my car never has more than 2 people in it because my wife HATES it.

Biggest downside to me is the older tech in the car. The head unit (nav, phone, stereo) does leave a lot to be desired.

I'm trying to talk myself down from it, but I really do like it more than I thought I would. I was planning on driving it and not being too impressed, but I was wrong.

So tell me what you think about the GT-S? Good, Bad and Ugly. Going from a 911 to this would be a big change, but I seem to feel nothing but upside.

I'm looking at one of the 2013s...so it's got all the latest Maserati updates. Sort of considering a MC, but from what I can tell, the Sport is basically the MC but with slightly less HP and some various external styling differences.

Pricing? What should/might I expect? Sticker is $138K...what discounting is reasonable?

Also, any ideas when the replacement might be coming? That might have an impact in negotiations.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Hmmm I wouldn't do it...I adore the sound and the looks but thats it. Driving, ergonomy, reliability, fuel consumption, overall quality and so on: no match to the porsche for me!

Old 09-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
joshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond repute
Seems like you kinda already have your mind made up, I would say 991 but again if you don't care for it or any Mercedes or BMW this might be the car for you

Old 09-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Wouldn't say my mind is made up, but I do like it a lot. Still have reservations about the reliability and the idea of moving back to a front-engine car (love having the engine behind me).

But the sound of the Maser is just so intoxicating. And I really am getting tired of listening to nothing but road noise in my 997. It really becomes overwhelming at speed on the highway. And that's with brand new Michelins on it.

At this point, the numbers will be the deciding factor. Going to leave it in the hands of the dealer to make it happen.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:56 AM
Teamspeed Member
nyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of light
that RS5 seems pretty nice.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:01 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
antny74 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!antny74 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!antny74 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!antny74 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!antny74 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!antny74 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!antny74 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!antny74 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!antny74 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!antny74 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!antny74 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
You might want to test drive the new M6 if you have not already, before you say no.

Last edited by antny74; 09-14-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Turbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dallascajun
I'm looking at one of the 2013s...so it's got all the latest Maserati updates. Sort of considering a MC, but from what I can tell, the Sport is basically the MC but with slightly less HP and some various external styling differences.
Most importantly, the Sport is a lot more comfortable. The MC has lost the most of its comfort(and more important: its backseat)but isn't as sporty as, let's say, a Porsche GT3. As a DD I would go for the Sport.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Thanks for the responses. I drove a 2011 S today and was really impressed with it. It still had less than 10k miles, but still felt and sounded like it was brand new. My 997 has definitely broken in much more in 18 months, but less miles.

Still not convinced into moving to a larger GT car like this one, but the crush on the Maserati hasn't gone away. The biggest fear of such a move is the wisdom that I will miss my 911 if I were to get rid of it. I can certainly look back at cars I should NOT have sold, so much more aware of that feeling this time around. If only there were more twistys around here for me to enjoy regularly.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Ritesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond repute
What did you end up doing? I am considering a Maserati Cab. for my wife.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:43 AM
JPG
Teamspeed Rookie
JPG is an unknown quantity at this point
Funnily enough have been thinking along the same lines for a while.

I had a 2011 911 GTS, which I loved and then decided that I wanted a more focused car for track days, so I bought a CR, thinking that I'd get something else for the family.

Tried a Maserati GT S and loved it as did the Mrs. My concern though is that here in the UK, Maseratis depreciate like a lead balloon, so the ownership costs are very high - higher than a Ferrari would be - shame really, otherwise there would currently be one sitting in the garage!

Quick Reply: GranTurismo Sport...Thoughts and Experiences