Notices
Maserati | Alfa Romeo | General Italian Quattroporte, Gran Turismo, MC12, 4C, Guilia & More Discussion Forum.

2006 Maserati Quattroporte Under $40K!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 08:40 AM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ced
My point is, Seems like in a lot of cases in the car industry, unlike most other products based industries , the more money you pay for a product, the more it is unreliable.

Monetary speaking, I find it unconceivable that, Toyota can build a $20,000 Corolla that will last you years no problems, yet a $400k Lambo has a higher chance of breaking down.
Wow.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ced
My point is, Seems like in a lot of cases in the car industry, unlike most other products based industries , the more money you pay for a product, the more it is unreliable.

Monetary speaking, I find it unconceivable that, Toyota can build a $20,000 Corolla that will last you years no problems, yet a $400k Lambo has a higher chance of breaking down.
Different target audience, different life expectancy, different engine efficiency, different production numbers ... figuring it out is hardly rocket science.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Ced
Official CED
Ced has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe my point doesnt come across well,
i understand those facts already, i was just speaking purely $$-wise, it doesnt make sense.
Most other products or services we buy, usually the higher price you pay, the better the quality of the products right?

Then again, i just thought of something, if Lambos were as reliable as Toyotas, people that are in the business of servicing them would be out of work. Maybe supercar builders purposely make them unreliable

Last edited by Ced; 11-27-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Shutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zorro
"Caliber" has nothing to do with reliability
Seems like it should. I understand that in order to make a car go 200 mph it's not going to be as stable or reliable as a car that can barely make 100 mph. But if you're paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for it, you shouldn't have to worry about it bursting into flames at any second.

Just my $0.02

Old 11-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
You can't invest billions in reliability tests when you sell 1,000 cars a year. And unless you use off the shelf components (which the target audience doesn't like), you can't have the same reliability.
And then enters the complexity thing. I'm pretty certain a 2CV is more reliable than a Maybach.
And the fact that Toyota has thousands of engineers making its cars as bulletproof as can be within cost restraints, whereas Lambo is just 3 guys around a table and lots of wine.
And all this being said, you just can't have the same expectations for a car putting one torque like the Corolla, and one that can make the eart spin the other way around.
And even if you did manage that, it would cost 5Mil each to produce and be called a Veyron.
And even then, you're pushing physical limits of the components so hard that you get the maintenance requirements of a Veyron!
I think many people underestimate how expensive a car can be to build.
Burst into flames? There's no way around gulping on gallons of gas per minute at full speed. It generates heat. A lot of it. And the components must be light, otherwise it's called a tank. It's a fine balance.
Not saying the 430s (or 458s?) catching on fire was not a mistake, it was. But see Point #1. You have limited time and resources, you can't possibly cover everything.

Last edited by Zorro; 11-27-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Banned
Global Autosports is just really niceGlobal Autosports is just really niceGlobal Autosports is just really niceGlobal Autosports is just really niceGlobal Autosports is just really niceGlobal Autosports is just really niceGlobal Autosports is just really niceGlobal Autosports is just really niceGlobal Autosports is just really niceGlobal Autosports is just really niceGlobal Autosports is just really nice
The guy will take $35K. A lot of car for the $$$.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Shutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zorro
You can't invest billions in reliability tests when you sell 1,000 cars a year. And unless you use off the shelf components (which the target audience doesn't like), you can't have the same reliability.
And then enters the complexity thing. I'm pretty certain a 2CV is more reliable than a Maybach.
And the fact that Toyota has thousands of engineers making its cars as bulletproof as can be within cost restraints, whereas Lambo is just 3 guys around a table and lots of wine.
And all this being said, you just can't have the same expectations for a car putting one torque like the Corolla, and one that can make the eart spin the other way around.
And even if you did manage that, it would cost 5Mil each to produce and be called a Veyron.
And even then, you're pushing physical limits of the components so hard that you get the maintenance requirements of a Veyron!
I think many people underestimate how expensive a car can be to build.
Burst into flames? There's no way around gulping on gallons of gas per minute at full speed. It generates heat. A lot of it. And the components must be light, otherwise it's called a tank. It's a fine balance.
Not saying the 430s (or 458s?) catching on fire was not a mistake, it was. But see Point #1. You have limited time and resources, you can't possibly cover everything.
Exactly!

Old 11-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
The problem with exotic cars is that people drop a lot of money on them and then service them like a Japanese economy car.

My experience has been that - if you follow the maintenance schedule - exotic cars are just as reliable as any other automobiles.

But that regular maintenance is pretty expensive - more than most people expect or are willing to pay. So they ignore it.

This is a factor that a lot of buyers forget about. Everyone wants a Ferrari or a Lambo, but nobody wants to pay $1.80 a mile in maintenance.

Know what you are getting into before you buy your super-high-end car and pony up what it takes to keep it running right.

Do that, and maybe you won't need to pawn it off for $35K four years later.

Just my thoughts.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
djantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond repute
Finer things in life often require extra care.

Great value on this QP. GLWS

Old 11-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really niceASHRAF is just really nice
a lot of car for the money, sure

great value, I'm not really sure

if I got anything from being friends with exotic car owners, their advice always seem to be "buy the best example you can find", and that will end up saving you money, always.

I would personally pay a little more, and get a later model with a better transmission, but that may be just me.

-AJ

Quick Reply: 2006 Maserati Quattroporte Under $40K!