Notices
Maserati | Alfa Romeo | General Italian Quattroporte, Gran Turismo, MC12, 4C, Guilia & More Discussion Forum.

Importing a Canadian Lancia

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
JamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud of
Importing a Canadian Lancia

How should I go about bringing a Lancia Thema 8.32 (which was legally imported to Canadia and registered there) into the U.S.?
It wouldn't need to be registered to drive in the U.S. for the moment.
I just don't think they'd let me drive down to the border with an American passport let me through.

For anybody who doesn't know, the Thema 8.32 is an executive sedan powered by the Ferrari 308's engine.
Top Gear named it one of the greatest Lancias of all time.
Back in 1986, it could go from 0-60 in 6.8, and top out at 150.
Poltrona Frau interior.
It's pretty spiffy, in my opinion.

This car will be a project, and I won't be driving it until I'm 100% complete.
USA/Canada basically have the same laws on street legality, am I right?
Does anybody have more legal knowledge of import/export laws inside North America?
All help is appreciated.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
GroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond repute
I looked into something similar with a Delta. In a word, getting everything done will be "expensive" (there is a reason it's called "the Bill Gates law").

If you have another 1 or 2 cars and can set the Thema aside as a "show and display" car, then go ahead ... but there's no system in place to import the car for use as daily driver. UNLESS ... hm ... what are the rules for "historic" cars in your state? Ask your DMV about registering a historic/classic ... I think the rule is 20 years in FL?

Old 10-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
GroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond repute
Old 10-30-2010, 07:51 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
JamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud ofJamesCaton has much to be proud of
I'm from the same state as Gates and Allen...!

How To Import A Motor Vehicle For Show Or Display

I think it can be done, according to that page.

What I don't know though is whether it has to remain off U.S. soil until the whole application is approved.
Maybe it has to stay with U.S. customs officials, like Gates' 959.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:30 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
PeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura aboutPeteV has a spectacular aura about
At the federal level, all cars 25 years and older are exempt from any import restrictions or emissions.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:07 PM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Got your PM after I had passed out yesterday.

Wow, didn't expect to see a thread about an 8.32 here. How many were imported to Canada back in the day? It's been over a decade since I last saw one in person, as most of them have rotted away when the yuppies who were starting a family got bored of them in the 80s. It's a seriously interesting car, but doesn't seem to have caught on as a collectible. Perhaps it's the Fiat Croma heritage.

Can't tell you anything about the redtape involved to get one registered but oh-my-freakin-god are you in for absurd maintenance costs. Not only is most of the documentation made in an era in Italy where "doing things by the book" hadn't been invented yet, not to mention how there aren't enough enthusiasts out there to do all the leg work for you ... or even anyone to ask questions, so to score simple parts can be, how you say, impossible. Sure, "some" of the engine is from a Ferrari 308 and the rest of the car is mostly a Saab 9000, but replacing the alternator, or a head gasket, or a tail light - goddamn! It's the sort of car you adore simply because it has been made, and you love hearing about it every now and then, but never have the balls or the wallet to actually own today!

Old 10-31-2010, 05:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Unless you have 100% certainty the car never set a wheel outside during winter, I would be very careful.
Mind you, the simple fact that it's not a rust bucket would indicate it's been sitting in a climate controlled garage all those years ...

Be prepared to spend more money than you thought would have been insane on maintenance.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:56 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
The owner bought this one in Japan and had it shipped back here.

This car just hit 30,000 miles and needs that major service.
It also needs new paint, and some interior work.
And he's trying to ask 11,000 USD for it.
Not worth it in my opinion.
So that, combined with the red tape, scared me off.

I need to pick an inexpensive project car though.
Like today.
E30 BMW?

Old 10-31-2010, 07:14 PM
Teamspeed Pro
sean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JamesCaton
E30 BMW?
ugh

Old 10-31-2010, 07:17 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by sean
ugh
You're enjoying yours, I take it?

Quick Reply: Importing a Canadian Lancia