Notices
Maserati | Alfa Romeo | General Italian Quattroporte, Gran Turismo, MC12, 4C, Guilia & More Discussion Forum.

Maserati of Long Island, Familiarity Breeds Success

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 01:38 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post Maserati of Long Island, Familiarity Breeds Success

Nice article on our sponsors, enjoy.

Maserati of Long Island, Familiarity Breeds Success
New Drive, Great Traditions, Advanced Thinking

It is widely known that Long Island, NY is a bastion of tradition; what is less widely known is that the area has a long history of involvement with auto racing and high-performance sports cars. For example the Vanderbilt Cup, the first auto race in the United States, was first held in 1904 in Nassau County, and continued to be held on Long Island through 1911. The race provided the perfect opportunity to see the cream of European sports cars being put through their paces.

Decades later, the Second World War saw many young men from the area fighting in Europe; some of those who had an interest in cars and may have been into hot-rodding before being sent overseas, came back with an appreciation for the style and performance of European cars. So it is only natural that the car enthusiasts of the area should have great interest in a brand such as Maserati, since it combines the finest style, quality and craftsmanship with superlative performance.

Maserati of Long Island aims to cater for the discerning enthusiasts of the area. The current building, in Glen Cove, already has a very long history with European cars; the dealership has recently been acquired by the entrepreneur Stuart Hayim, who hopes to take the business to bigger and better things – even if that means leaving behind their historic premises.

Tom Roach, the General Manager, spoke to us about the plans he and Stuart have for the dealership, and the ethos which lies behind them. “The kind of people who buy Maseratis are used to exceptional service – they stay at the finest hotels, they eat at the best restaurants, so they have expectations of the level of service they want,” he explained. “Our aim is to exceed their expectations, to wow them a little bit with a personal touch and a very dedicated service approach. Now, that doesn’t mean being snobbish – we’re happy to roll up our sleeves and get involved, shake hands, meet people and be involved in events which helps us become better known.

“We firmly believe that the service side of things is key,” Tom continued. “The car is so gorgeous, it almost sells itself; it appeals to people from a stylistic standpoint. They like the performance and the uniqueness, but people seem to buy because they want to have a distinctive style. But from our perspective, it’s attention to detail on the service side which is the best way to keep your customers. From ensuring that our loan cars are nice, clean, luxury cars to providing a flat-bed pick-up service if it’s required – the people who buy these cars often don’t have a lot of time, so we want to make things as quick and convenient as possible. Of course, service begins before a client has even purchased the car; if someone wants a test drive fitted in to their schedule, they can give us a call and we’ll try to have someone call on them with the car.”

One constraint on expansion is the size of the current building; while they make creative use of the limited space available, both Stuart and Tom would prefer more expansive premises. They are already evaluating other sites, but are firmly committed to remaining on Long Island. “People look on the north shore as the ‘gold coast’, which it is, but the Long Island market is very diverse,” Tom told us. “Sure, there’s a lot of white-collar people here, but Stuart and I both know that there are also a lot of successful entrepreneurs from other industries, too, such as food service and construction. In addition, I grew up on the east end of Long Island, so I’m familiar with the secondary home market; that brings you into contact with people who aren’t just from Long Island, or even New York, but from all over the world.”

Stuart has an ulterior motive in seeing the business grow; having been diagnosed with, and recovered from a lymphoma in the late Seventies, part of the income from his business activities is used to help fund research into cancer. Stuart’s history makes fascinating reading; he’s a former powerboat racer, winning three U.S. championships and four world championships in a ten-year period and donating all his winnings to cancer research and treatment – several hundred thousand dollars. His altruism was recognized in 2005 when he was made Man of the Year by the New Leadership Division of the North Shore – LIJ Health System. “He’s a great guy - he’s got a lot of vision and drive,” Tom enthused. “He’s sixty years old, and he’s on the gas every day and outruns most of the people who work for him; he’s a fun person to work for.”

The two of them already have plans for raising the profile of the dealership, both by being involved in events and by ensuring the cars get maximum visibility. “We’re going to have a car at the Americana mall in Manhasset, which has a number of high-end stores,” Tom explained. “We’ve just arranged sponsorship of the Westbury Music Fair, and we’re going to have a whole series of Ride and Drive events – from vineyards in the east to the south shore or north fork in the summer. One of our aims is to ensure people realize that the Maserati is affordable – there are a lot of people out there who think this is a $200,000 car, and so don’t consider it even though they could afford it.”

The desirability of the Quattroporte has given Tom another headache – freeing a car up for himself! “I would love to have one – as soon as I can free a car up from inventory, then I will. I’ll be having a DuoSelect, because having spent two days with one, I’m hooked; the Automatic is beautiful, but personally I like the sporty touch of the DuoSelect.”
Find out for yourself why Tom is so eager to get his hands on a Quattroporte. Get in touch with the folks at Maserati of Long Island, arrange a test drive and see a small part of the North Shore, and the surrounding roads from the best seats around.

Stuart Hayim

Tom Roach

Old 10-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
Do they have a banner on the right yet?

Old 10-13-2009, 02:29 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, it is Ferrari of Long Island

Old 10-13-2009, 02:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry I was going to delete my post, I found it right after I posted that...