Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

New m5, bmw legal prohibitions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 07:32 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Redlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond repute
New m5, bmw legal prohibitions

I took delivery of my M5 a week ago in Ct. At delivery a signed statement was required that I understood the following items would VOID the warranty. 1) a hardwired radar detector and 2) any mod to the exhaust system.

I have read of the Magnuson-Moss act that prohibits warranty exclusions for items such as a cat back mod.

Anyone have any experience with this? The last thing I need is a lengthy warranty dispute with the dealer. I so want a Borla exhaust!

Old 03-05-2013, 08:38 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
JonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of light
Firstly congrats on your purchase - hope you enjoy it in the best of health.

Secondly, you would probably get away with an Akrapovic system on your beast. Since Akrapovic is a partner of BMW Motorsport in DTM.

Worth asking about them at the dealership - but I would ask someone in management as some salesmen don't even know the displacement of the cars they are selling.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Teamspeed Pro
HBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond repute
they can ONLY void the warranty if they can prove the mods you did caused the issue.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
El Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura about
Wish I could chip in with some credible info. But how about you share some pics of your new ride???

Old 03-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Redlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond repute
Will do...

Old 03-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
By "any mod to the exhaust system", does this include upgrading the speakers?

Old 03-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Teamspeed Member
Jonathan has a brilliant futureJonathan has a brilliant futureJonathan has a brilliant futureJonathan has a brilliant futureJonathan has a brilliant futureJonathan has a brilliant futureJonathan has a brilliant futureJonathan has a brilliant futureJonathan has a brilliant futureJonathan has a brilliant futureJonathan has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman
By "any mod to the exhaust system", does this include upgrading the speakers?
Haha!

Good questions to ask, and agree with dirtbag they have to prove the modifications caused the problems.

Hope this helps, if you really want to pursue further I would talk to a lawyer.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
avlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura aboutavlnch has a spectacular aura about
That sounds like an added clause made by the dealer.. once which BMW is not a part of.

You could challenge it, or just sign it and never return back to that dealer.

I have never heard of something like that..

Old 03-10-2013, 05:25 PM
F yeah!!! tit got me a silver bar..
La Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond reputeLa Artist has a reputation beyond repute
^never mind that M5 man.. post pictures of your S65

Old 03-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by avlnch
That sounds like an added clause made by the dealer.. once which BMW is not a part of.

You could challenge it, or just sign it and never return back to that dealer.

I have never heard of something like that..
Then look around a little. It's now corporate policy for at least theM5 model.

Quick Reply: New m5, bmw legal prohibitions