Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

Transmission swap for a Z3 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012 | 03:40 PM
|
Teamspeed Senior Member
El Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura about
Transmission swap for a Z3 Coupe

Hi all,

Was wondering if any of you had heard of a transmission swap - auto to manual - on a Z3 Coupe 2.8L (non-M model)? Thinking of removing the auto gearbox and installing a 5 or 6-speed instead. Would it be possible?

I think I prefer the 5-speed simply because the E36, which the Z3 Coupe is based on, came with that transmission mated to the 2.8L engine.

Would appreciate the feedback.

Cheers

Old 05-09-2012 | 05:29 PM
Former Sponsor
ECS Tuning - BMW will become famous soon enoughECS Tuning - BMW will become famous soon enoughECS Tuning - BMW will become famous soon enoughECS Tuning - BMW will become famous soon enoughECS Tuning - BMW will become famous soon enoughECS Tuning - BMW will become famous soon enoughECS Tuning - BMW will become famous soon enoughECS Tuning - BMW will become famous soon enough
It's do able just not exactly a weekend project that I'd want to take on if the car was my daily driver. The thread found HERE has a wealth of information on E36s swaps. It's been a while since I've looked into it but it should be very similar with the exception of the drive shaft.

Old 05-10-2012 | 10:46 AM
|
Teamspeed Senior Member
El Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura about
Thanks! Will definitely check out the link.

I don't plan on the car being a daily driver, whatsoever. But I do plan on lightly modifying it as I believe the 2.8L engine is a sweet unit and will be working more on the handling and braking aspects of the car. It is 13 years old, after all. The engine may not be the most powerful out there, but the car's overall weight and size should make it a fun car to toss around.

Love rowing my own gears so I'm just not content with it being an automatic.

Cheers again! Any other suggestions would be appreciated.