Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

Finally Drove the New Beast

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011 | 09:09 AM
|
Teamspeed Senior Member
JonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of lightJonnybravoM3 is a glorious beacon of light
Finally Drove the New Beast

Hey all -- our local dealers and BMW AG, Munich kindly arranged a nice track day out for us enthusiasts today at our local F1 circuit. With them they brought the F10 M5, X5M, X6M and E92 M3 (unfort no 1M!) and we were all given the opportunity to drive each car and ride as passengers in each car (was a small group only 6 of us) per 3 hour session which involved on 1 part, off roading on the man-made off-road dirt/rock track on the premises where we enjoyed the X5 50si; X6 50si; and X3 -- all of which performed surprisingly well off-road and on rocky paths and steep dips.

Once that was done, we were taken over to the F1 circuit where we each took turns driving the M cars following behind the German instructors in the E92 M3 pace car and following their driving lines. Amazingly I was very impressed with the handling of the X6M and X5Ms on the track and their cornering ability and sheer power surge that seems to be never-ending. The E92 M3 was an absolute joy to drive around the track -- I really had a blast in this car and believe it is probably one of the best balanced cars out there today (at least from the cars that I have driven) - just enough power and wonderful handling around the corners. Now we get to the F10 M5 --- well.... with regret I have to say "meh..". Car is very powerful yes, but whats the point of this much power if you can't feel it --- the car is unable to put the power on the ground and through all gears wants to get its tail out with the traction control working overtime to hold it down and cutting the power from the engine (so on a long straight I wasn't even able to catch the E92 M3 in front of me and I floored it directly behind the M3).

I did 1 lap with traction on and the second lap in MDM mode - in MDM mode the car was very happy to go sideways - yes fun -- but still not balanced I felt as though I was driving a Mustang Shelby or something - also car still feels very heavy IMO. Even then on the straight with my foot planted I couldn't keep up with the E92 M3. Also I feel like the car was sort of soul-less without the screaming S85 at the front - that sound always makes any experience much more enjoyable.

When I stepped out of the vehicle I spoke to the BMW M instructors about this and one of them kindly arranged to take us all out on hot laps in the car with all driver aids off. He was a great driver (naturally having been one of the developers for the past 3 years and is a Ring taxi driver also) and he really took the beast sideways on some of the corners but I still felt that lack power being put down on the road (the power that you feel from a very early stage in the new M TT engines of the X5 and X6) and the sort of power you feel at the higher rpms of the S85 - so despite his amazing driving skills, made the experience a little dull.

Anyways, I'm sure if I am given a little more time with the car, I will come around. I will wait until I am able to take home a demo vehicle once the dealership gets one and then I can drive car in my own time and at my own pace and really see what it can do and I'm confident my mind will change or it will grow on me. Either way, my verdict for today is, my M6 isn't going anywhere for the time being.

Attached Images    
Old 12-09-2011 | 10:17 AM
Teamspeed Pro
tips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond reputetips has a reputation beyond repute
very coool

Old 12-09-2011 | 10:30 AM
Teamspeed Pro
jenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond repute
Just 6 people, I'm sure there was a ton of driving time

Old 12-09-2011 | 10:37 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
I'm so over the BMW interiors. Can they NOT do something more original and unique now or are they just on auto pilot?

Old 12-09-2011 | 11:35 AM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
nice, looking forward to seeing one here

Old 12-09-2011 | 11:54 AM
Teamspeed Pro
wyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond repute
Interior looks okay to me with that extended leather. I agree the designs are not tip top, but the materials and colors are. Those gauges seem a bit dull, though.

Old 12-09-2011 | 12:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Thx for sharing and great write up. Do you know if BMW has delivered any F10 M5 in the Middle East??

Old 12-09-2011 | 12:44 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
New Car, new year, deserves its own,unique and FRESH interior.

Old 12-09-2011 | 03:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond reputeMC321 has a reputation beyond repute
bastards didn't invite me

Old 12-09-2011 | 04:00 PM
Former Sponsor
ADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting review. Maybe we got to get some tuned and exhaust'd M5's and you'll find their soul.

Quick Reply: Finally Drove the New Beast