Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

BMW Confirms M-tuned 5 Series Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 12:06 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post BMW Confirms M-tuned 5 Series Diesel

BMW Confirms M-tuned 5 Series Diesel
The Detroit Bureau breaks the scoop on the upcoming Diesel M
BMW will introduce a new high-performance diesel-powered 5-Series model next spring that will expand the German maker’s vaunted M division, TheDetroitBureau.com has confirmed, with the triple-turbo V-8 oil-burner set to also be used in a variety of other BMW products, likely including its X-series sport-activity vehicles.

Rumors of the diesel M have been circulating for several weeks, but TheDetroitBureau.com has confirmed details with a variety of BMW sources who say the maker wants to prove out the potential of the high-mileage technology – taking advantage of a variety of new technologies, including the unusual triple-turbocharging system meant to eliminate even the most minor turbo lag.

The new model is likely to get the unusual designation of either BMW 550dM or 550dXM, the latter referring to its all-wheel-drive system. With rare exception, most models produced by the Bavarian maker’s performance sub-brand flash the vaunted “M” first and foremost. But the alternative nomenclature would reflect the unusual powertrain under the hood of the 5-Series BMW.

The 3.0-liter straight-six diesel will use a small turbo to instantly build boost for launch, two larger twin-scroll turbochargers then spooling up for higher-speed performance. The basic engine is the same as the current BMW 3.0-liter diesel but with significant modifications, including a new cylinder head. It will make use of a variety of advanced technologies, including direct injection and BMW’s Valvetronic system, designed to optimize the function of intake and exhaust engine valves.

Sources tell TheDetroitBureau.com that the 550dM will deliver slightly less horsepower than the new gas-powered BMW M5, which makes 560 ponies. Final numbers will likely be in the 500 to 550 range. Torque, meanwhile, will well exceed the 500 lb-ft of the new M5, and could push north of 650 lb-ft.
To handle those tire-spinning forces, “You have to go to all-wheel-drive,” explained one senior BMW official, “otherwise you’ll be spinning your tires all day.”

While several makers have demonstrated the potential for diesel power on the track, the move to put it into a high-performance street car is a significant breakthrough. Mercedes-Benz briefly offered a diesel model wearing its AMG badge but that lasted only a year on the market. BMW has long considered the option but it took several significant developments for the company’s comfort level to reach the necessary threshold.

“Diesel technology has come a long way in the last five years,” said one BMW executive, adding that the maker also had to be certain buyers would be able to get the necessary quality of diesel fuel in any market – notably including the U.S. – where the 550dM will be sold.

For the record, M brand global marketing manager Brian Watts confirmed that the maker is looking at a diesel M car, though he said, “We’re not finished with that program yet.” But other insiders said only the final details, such as performance specifications – and the final brand nomenclature – have yet to be firmed up, with the new diesel muscle car due for introduction next spring, very likely with an unveiling at a major auto show like the Geneva Motor Show.

The engine is intended to find applications beyond the 5-series M edition, sources agree. It is designed to fit in a variety of additional BMW products and would most likely show up next in one or more of the maker’s X-Series Sport-Activity Vehicles, such as the X5 or X6. But a version of the 550d engine might also be melded with the maker’s flagship 7-Series sedan “a year or more later,” said a source.

BMW officials say they hope to steal a march on competitors – but, said one, “I expect to see others follow,” a reference to both Mercedes and Audi. The executive said he was particularly surprised that the latter German brand had not moved into the diesel performance segment more quickly, as it would play off Audi’s link to diesel power. The maker has dominated the Le Mans endurance series for much of the past decade with its various diesel-powered race cars.
Source [TheDetroitBureau.com]

Old 08-18-2011, 12:51 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
Let`s just put an //M badge on everything and call it a day,...

not!

the title //M is being abused to no limits...
what about the traditional //M values?Lost?

Last edited by ECB; 08-18-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:32 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ECB
Let`s just put an //M badge on everything and call it a day,...

not!

the title //M is being abused to no limits...
what about the traditional //M values?Lost?
said it before I'll say it again, BMW is getting VERY Mercedes on us.

Weak. Weak I tell you!!

Old 08-18-2011, 01:41 PM
MGM
Teamspeed Senior Member
MGM has a reputation beyond reputeMGM has a reputation beyond reputeMGM has a reputation beyond reputeMGM has a reputation beyond reputeMGM has a reputation beyond reputeMGM has a reputation beyond reputeMGM has a reputation beyond reputeMGM has a reputation beyond reputeMGM has a reputation beyond reputeMGM has a reputation beyond reputeMGM has a reputation beyond repute
Well this should be interesting to say the least, I'm kind of intrigued! Although I think an M5 diesel has more of a place in the world than an MX5 or 6, but that's just me.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Dave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA) has a reputation beyond repute
A 550dXM would be a great family car for me

Old 08-18-2011, 05:14 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
This could be awesome guys. I can only imagine the torque it will generate!

Old 08-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Jeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know what the hate is about. 550 HP and 650lb-ft is pretty awesome!

Old 08-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Superfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond repute
I'd like a 550dXM, especially if it was a wagon. 650 lb/ft and 550+ HP. Yeah, I'm intrigued.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond repute
I like this idea better than the charging-rhino-on-roids X-Fives and Sixes.
I'll take mine as a wagon, please (yeah, right). Perfect for popping down to the inlaws in Germany.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:41 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
Yes,the idea of such a strong Diesel is great!
Don`t get me wrong,I like Diesel power with the massive low end grunt it delivers while being fuel efficient...the new gen Diesels even have almost no noticeable turbolag and the throttle response is good.
Even the sound of bigger Diesels is quite good and they`re not loud and rattling when cruising ,those times are over.

BUT (!) please just don`t put an //M badge on it!
That`s like offering a V6 Turbo version of the GT3 RS or putting an "RS" badge on a souped up Panamera Turbo.

Quick Reply: BMW Confirms M-tuned 5 Series Diesel