Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

E92 M3 owners, post your impressions. My thoughts inside.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 09:20 PM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
E92 M3 owners, post your impressions. My thoughts inside.

We've had one for a few months now, and my initial reservations and complaints about the car ( posted on 6 speed after the track day launch, must have been among first public in world to drive it round the track ), whilst probably still hold relevance on the track, on the road, this car is fantastic.

Amazingly comfortable for city driving ( much much much better than E46 ) but at the touch of button is rock hard. Engine is so smooth, and matched with the 6 speed box is just a joy to drive around town, and comes alive in the twistys. Traction, haha, what traction. This thing is ridiculously easily to break loose, but once you learn its limits, you become comfortable.

Little things i like is the thickness of the steering wheel, alot of car manufacturers seem to over look this, but m have got it just right. Its pretty darn thick compared to most cars, but is perfect for me, i have big hands though. The fuel saving upshift indication makes you feel guilty about been in the low gear, so i tend to drive around in 5th gear most of the time.

The seating position is markedly different from the E46, which feels race car like ( i sit as low as possible and as close to the wheel as possible without knees hitting dash ), whereas the E92, i slide onto the seat when getting in, as opposed to falling into the E46, and you definitely get the feeling that your sitting higher in the car.

I have a mind block at the moment so can't think of anything else.

Ask any question and myself and the other posters will try answer them!

Oh and i love the way it looks, definitely grows on you, and you don't want the guards anymore flared, its already hard enough parking it in tight spaces.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Teamspeed Member
arcticboost has a spectacular aura aboutarcticboost has a spectacular aura aboutarcticboost has a spectacular aura aboutarcticboost has a spectacular aura aboutarcticboost has a spectacular aura aboutarcticboost has a spectacular aura aboutarcticboost has a spectacular aura aboutarcticboost has a spectacular aura aboutarcticboost has a spectacular aura aboutarcticboost has a spectacular aura aboutarcticboost has a spectacular aura about
Nice review, sounds like you bought the perfect car.

Get some pictures up, I'd love to see the beast.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:57 PM
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
Ill just add some thoughts:

Spirited driving;

I took it for a blat on my favorite piece of tarmac over the weekend ( long windy road down to a beach, no traffic ). I didn't feel as connected with the car as with the E46, it felt alot bigger and heavier, especially the front end, which tended to push/ understeer. It got up to frightening speeds unnoticeably until it came time to break! Weirdly i felt the driving position was to close to the door, it was obstructing my arm, was very weird. The steering was nice and heavy, although i dont remember it giving as much feedback as the E46. Gearbox was great, brakes were good ( didnt go hard for long enough to induce any fade as experienced on the track ), engine was responsive and very linear.

Just some rambling thoughts.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
eshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond repute
I'm feeling the interior seems more cramped as well and the material quality unbecoming of an 80k car these days. I'd also really like to see a sort of CSL or sport seat option (I run my seats at their lowest possible point and I still barely have enough headroom in my e46). I'll have to reserve more judgment performance-wise until I get around to driving one though...sitting in SF traffic is not my idea of giving the car a fair chance to show me how much fun I'm missing out on

Old 05-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by eshaun
I'm feeling the interior seems more cramped as well and the material quality unbecoming of an 80k car these days. I'd also really like to see a sort of CSL or sport seat option (I run my seats at their lowest possible point and I still barely have enough headroom in my e46). I'll have to reserve more judgment performance-wise until I get around to driving one though...sitting in SF traffic is not my idea of giving the car a fair chance to show me how much fun I'm missing out on
I actually don't mind the interior. Its purposeful and well made. Although the "carbon look" leather is a bit

The seats i also like, supportive and comfy, although the seating position is WAY to high.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:07 AM
Teamspeed Pro
4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute
I remember your post on the 6 some time back where you practically burned the car into the ground - I think I lol'ed a couple of times reading that review - good to hear your (revised) thoughts on the car.

Curious to see some pics as well.

Oh and in real life, is the E92 a lot faster than the E46?

Old 05-15-2008, 04:30 AM
Originally Posted by 4Wheels
I remember your post on the 6 some time back where you practically burned the car into the ground - I think I lol'ed a couple of times reading that review - good to hear your (revised) thoughts on the car.

Curious to see some pics as well.

Oh and in real life, is the E92 a lot faster than the E46?
Alot of my initial thoughts on the car ( from the 6speed post ) still hold true as that was based on track driving.

Im gonna take some nice pics this weekend, so ill post some up next week. just a regular ol white m3.

It isn't noticeably faster ( well i havnt found it so ) than the E46. It obviously is, but i think due to the V8, it doesnt have the instant response off the E46, and because it is quieter, you dont sound as if you going as hard, but you are, slightly.

I "felt" as if i was going alot slower down said tarmac in the E92 than i did in the e46. But the reality was that i was probably going the same, if not slightly faster in the E92 ( still not 100% with the car ) as the rate of speed it picks up, the effortlessness in which it gets to that speed, and the speed it can carry through the corners is different from the e46. It didnt "feel" as fast, until it came time to brake.

I think the biggest thing is that it doesn't feel like a small coupe anymore.

Last edited by vtgts300kw; 05-15-2008 at 04:33 AM.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:43 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Bronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vtgts300kw
Alot of my initial thoughts on the car ( from the 6speed post ) still hold true as that was based on track driving.

Im gonna take some nice pics this weekend, so ill post some up next week. just a regular ol white m3.

It isn't noticeably faster ( well i havnt found it so ) than the E46. It obviously is, but i think due to the V8, it doesnt have the instant response off the E46, and because it is quieter, you dont sound as if you going as hard, but you are, slightly.

I "felt" as if i was going alot slower down said tarmac in the E92 than i did in the e46. But the reality was that i was probably going the same, if not slightly faster in the E92 ( still not 100% with the car ) as the rate of speed it picks up, the effortlessness in which it gets to that speed, and the speed it can carry through the corners is different from the e46. It didnt "feel" as fast, until it came time to brake.

I think the biggest thing is that it doesn't feel like a small coupe anymore.
Nice to read through your thoughts on the e92 m3, remember when we chatted about it a long while ago and you were about to get it delivered.

I think they've put to much junk in the newer m3, it now ways about the same as the RS4 which had 4wd! 3600lbs is a lot for a sports car and I think all that mass going around deafens the inputs the driver get from road, tyres and chassis.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:31 AM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
The M3 is a really intriguing car. I like the way it looks (it does seem to look better in certain colors though), I like the high-revving V8, and I like the whole "M" thing.

The downside is that there isn't enough difference for me from my RS4. Sure it's a coupe, but that's not a big deal, and I guarantee my RS4 is much more practical (hauled 4 new wheels in boxes home in the trunk and fold-down seats). Again, they both have high-revving V8s with similar hp/tq output, both have a desirable badge, both cost similar money, etc. If the M3 was much more different (like a 911 for example), I'd be tempted to swap for one.

Still, if I had the $$, I wouldn't mind having one in my stable. If I can test drive one, I'll still check it out...

Post up some pics - I'm sure we'd all love to see it!

Old 05-15-2008, 08:58 AM
Teamspeed Pro
mbolo has a reputation beyond reputembolo has a reputation beyond reputembolo has a reputation beyond reputembolo has a reputation beyond reputembolo has a reputation beyond reputembolo has a reputation beyond reputembolo has a reputation beyond reputembolo has a reputation beyond reputembolo has a reputation beyond reputembolo has a reputation beyond reputembolo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
The M3 is a really intriguing car. I like the way it looks (it does seem to look better in certain colors though), I like the high-revving V8, and I like the whole "M" thing.

The downside is that there isn't enough difference for me from my RS4. Sure it's a coupe, but that's not a big deal, and I guarantee my RS4 is much more practical (hauled 4 new wheels in boxes home in the trunk and fold-down seats). Again, they both have high-revving V8s with similar hp/tq output, both have a desirable badge, both cost similar money, etc. If the M3 was much more different (like a 911 for example), I'd be tempted to swap for one.

Still, if I had the $$, I wouldn't mind having one in my stable. If I can test drive one, I'll still check it out...

Post up some pics - I'm sure we'd all love to see it!
Before the M3 was always untouchable, now it's just a great car and that's making a lot of people look around for alternatives.

Strangely enough, I think the new M3 actually makes the qualities of my RS4 even clearer to me, instead of making me want to replace it (with an M3.) That's a first for me when it comes to new M-cars and as such I'm not impressed.

Nonetheless, as soon as they bring out a csl-version I know I'll be right there drooling... That's got something others can't offer - and that's what M-cars are supposed to be about.

Quick Reply: E92 M3 owners, post your impressions. My thoughts inside.