Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

First Test: 2011 BMW X6 M by Motor Trend

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman
I don't expect a truck to be lightweight. And this is one awesome truck. But, I just don't agree with an M badge being on it.

To me an M car is something very specific. It has history. It's more than a chunky body kit and more HP.
+1 to what you just said.

BMW went the 'whore' way out by offering an M Badge and HP on their SUV line up. They NEVER were like Mercedes Benz. Forged their own path. That's why drivers preferred them over Benz's. Now, you'd be hard pressed to see the differences between the two makes. The new C63 feels MORE BMW then their beloved M3. 5 series that look like 7. 7 series that feel cheap inside compared to a S Class. Not to mention their cars are getting heavier and heavier.

BMW has completey gone coward with their products. Still reeling from the Chris Bangle days. One could say 'but they've been very successful'- based on UNITS; but if you actually knew how much $$ they threw at their cars via cash back, inceptives, subsidized interest rates or money factors- the picture would become much more clear as to the 'why'. It's the 'how' - HOW did BMW end up being SOOOOO Mercedes Benz like when Mercedes Benz now offeres cars that are more driver friendly then ever. If anything MB has watched their Bavarian friends very closely and even mimicked certain aspects of their cars.

My HOPE for BMW is that one day, soon- they become self aware and decide to start building BMWs for BMW people; not pay soo much attention to the boys over in Stuttgart.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
+1 to what you just said.

BMW went the 'whore' way out by offering an M Badge and HP on their SUV line up. They NEVER were like Mercedes Benz. Forged their own path. That's why drivers preferred them over Benz's. Now, you'd be hard pressed to see the differences between the two makes. The new C63 feels MORE BMW then their beloved M3. 5 series that look like 7. 7 series that feel cheap inside compared to a S Class. Not to mention their cars are getting heavier and heavier.

BMW has completey gone coward with their products. Still reeling from the Chris Bangle days. One could say 'but they've been very successful'- based on UNITS; but if you actually knew how much $$ they threw at their cars via cash back, inceptives, subsidized interest rates or money factors- the picture would become much more clear as to the 'why'. It's the 'how' - HOW did BMW end up being SOOOOO Mercedes Benz like when Mercedes Benz now offeres cars that are more driver friendly then ever. If anything MB has watched their Bavarian friends very closely and even mimicked certain aspects of their cars.

My HOPE for BMW is that one day, soon- they become self aware and decide to start building BMWs for BMW people; not pay soo much attention to the boys over in Stuttgart.

Wow, well said.

I am certainly a BMW fan. Every car I have owned since buying my first car at 16 has been a BMW. (granted they have all been used) I have loved these cars and would like to keep the trend going. However, I will not give them another dime simply because the car wears an ///M badge, unless they really shape things up and rediscover their roots. I believe the 1M is a success. However, I feel the car was made to "amuse" the enthusiasts. It appears to be a novelty offering rather than a mainstay representation of the brand. I get the sense they are moving full steam ahead and popping off cars like the 1M to keep the purists from throwing a fit (Yes, I know this includes me).

How can you produce "sports cars" that are the dimesions and weight of what, only a few years ago, was a full size luxury sedan. This equation just does not work out in my head.

I always think, "What would happen if you rolled an X5M/X6M/2012 M5 into the M garage 15 years ago?" I am confident you would be kicked out to a chorus of laughter and pig noises.

I also agree with you and your view on MB. They have gained HUGE ground in the past ~8 years. I think the C is the best entry level sedan and the AMG cars are becoming more focused. However, I still scratch my head as to why they do not offer the manual. I am sure there are a ton of former M3 and M5 guys how would jump at the chance to own a manual C63.

I hope BMW can get back to making well-proportioned, driver-oriented, motorsport bred cars. Otherwise, they will soon lose a loyal old friend.

Last edited by HarveyMushman; 04-14-2011 at 06:10 PM.