Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

E30 M3 with S54

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
hyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud of
E30 M3 with S54

We've been through a few motors in the m3 over the years, most recently running a euro s50b32 making decent power until it finally let go on us at Homestead last year. So I used that as an excuse to drop in an e46 m3 s54 engine, which presents a long list of challenges to try to make a modern engine work in a 20+ year old body.

With the help of James at Bimmerworld for the swap and electronics and Randy Mueller at Epic Motorsports for the tuning, we just wrapped it up and made 326whp this morning. Should be fun and a handfull on track in a 2600lb car.

A few pics for you guys...

The car

The motor

The dyno

Old 03-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Clubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond repute
That should be enormous fun at the track although s54 would upset the front balance a little I presume cuz of its weight.

Any videos of that beast ?

Old 03-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Love it!! This is exactly what I've been wanting to build

Old 03-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
hyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud ofhyboost has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Clubber
That should be enormous fun at the track although s54 would upset the front balance a little I presume cuz of its weight.

Any videos of that beast ?
We had the euro s50b32 in there before and added 100lbs of weight with it according to the scales. But the car has been stripped throughout so it honestly handled like a gokart with it with the dialed in suspension. The s54 is similar dimmension and weight to the s50b32, so I don't expect an impact.

No recent videos but I'll make sure to get some with the GoPro and the new motor in a couple weeks when we're at Sebring.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:01 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!akiruno You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by hyboost
So I used that as an excuse to drop in an e46 m3 s54 engine, which presents a long list of challenges to try to make a modern engine work in a 20+ year old body.
Outstanding swap…first s54 powered E30 M3 i've seen. Curious, besides the challenge of mating the electronics, what were some of the other major hurdles you had to overcome.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:32 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
What engine doesnt fit in an e30?

Old 03-13-2011, 03:33 AM
Teamspeed Pro
0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
Love it!

Old 03-13-2011, 04:17 AM
Teamspeed Pro
03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute
Nice swap!

Old 03-13-2011, 01:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
Your old Supra was ridiculously clean and so is this.

Nice ride.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
So awesome. I had an E30 as well and loved it, wish I still had. I may need to start looking for one again.