Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

E46 m3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 09:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
yzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond repute
E46 m3?

I am looking am a 2004 E46 M3 and need some information about them, hoping someone could help with the price.
Specs:
2004 BMW M3
50k miles
SMG trans
Dinan package (exhaust, intake, suspension)
Different BMW wheels on new tires
Tinted windows
Smoked tails

Old 01-27-2011, 09:39 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
avoid a modded/molested one for sure, they have likely been abused. also, why smg? best avoided for practical reasons as well as the more obvious pitfalls. that car would be in the teens price wise.

my personal rule of thumb, never buy a car with taillight modifications, ricer mod = ricer mentality

Old 01-27-2011, 09:50 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud of
Eh, I'd steer clear of the SMG. Get a real transmission that will not break as easily. Also, I agree with IIVVX about the mods. The less the better IMO. Likely to have been abused.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:01 PM
ljg
Teamspeed Pro
ljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IIVVX
avoid a modded/molested one for sure, they have likely been abused.
I have never understood this mindset. If I bought a stock car, I would modify it - as would most people on here and other car forums. If I like the mods a car has already, why wouldn't I pick them up for 30-50 cents on the dollar? Also, just because one drives a car like it is supposed to be driven doesn't mean that car is molested. An M3 was meant to be driven hard in factory form...

Anytime I see this written, I wonder if the person posting has never taken their sports car over 3000rpm.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
yzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond repute
I should have clarified, I am getting rid of a toyota supra with a junk title for the car. It will be a trade for the vehicle. I am more or less looking to get rid of the vehicle with the problem title for one I believe I can sell easier.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bennett
Eh, I'd steer clear of the SMG. Get a real transmission that will not break as easily. Also, I agree with IIVVX about the mods. The less the better IMO. Likely to have been abused.
You do know that the pumps break on these SMG cars right?

The six speed transmission in the M3 is a Getrag transmission. They will NOT break easily unless heavily abused and not taken care of.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:10 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ljg
I have never understood this mindset. If I bought a stock car, I would modify it - as would most people on here and other car forums. If I like the mods a car has already, why wouldn't I pick them up for 30-50 cents on the dollar? Also, just because one drives a car like it is supposed to be driven doesn't mean that car is molested. An M3 was meant to be driven hard in factory form...

Anytime I see this written, I wonder if the person posting has never taken their sports car over 3000rpm.
are you really this stupid? you start with as best a baseline as possible so you are insured the car you have is healthy and ready for whatever modification you have planned. you can then proceed to mod it yourself, know its done right, and know that the components used are the best. would you rather buy a car that was owned by an old doctor who simply enjoyed the performance the stock car provided or would you like to buy from the ricer with a tribal tattoo who thinks pulling off a donut means you have driving skill?

you sound like someone who has zero experience in owning and modifying cars.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:24 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by X2daC
You do know that the pumps break on these SMG cars right?

The six speed transmission in the M3 is a Getrag transmission. They will NOT break easily unless heavily abused and not taken care of.
I was referring to the Getrag 6-speed when I said "Get a real transmission that will not break as easily."

SMG, in general, sucks.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:27 PM
FIGJAM
OP looks to be from the supra community, he can appreciate a getrag box. our v160's are virtually indestructible.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:10 AM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bennett
I was referring to the Getrag 6-speed when I said "Get a real transmission that will not break as easily."

SMG, in general, sucks.
Are you serious?

Let's do some quick educating on the Getrags. Especially the V160.

The V160 is the stock MKIV Supra six speed transmission.

All of those six speed Supras that are deep in the 9s, 8s, and high 7s? The only mods to their V160s are CLUTCHES. What more of a real transmission do you want?

A fully built T56? Or a stock bullet proof V160 with a clutch?