Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

New BMW Fanatic looking to buy an M3. Help?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Spartacus has a spectacular aura aboutSpartacus has a spectacular aura aboutSpartacus has a spectacular aura aboutSpartacus has a spectacular aura aboutSpartacus has a spectacular aura aboutSpartacus has a spectacular aura aboutSpartacus has a spectacular aura aboutSpartacus has a spectacular aura aboutSpartacus has a spectacular aura aboutSpartacus has a spectacular aura aboutSpartacus has a spectacular aura about
New BMW Fanatic looking to buy an M3. Help?

Today I went to look at a 1998 M3 sedan. Silver. Auto trans. ONLY 83k miles!!! Problems up front: Its a salvage title for front end damage. The seller was up front about it all and even showed me the service records for the repairs done. (bumper, lights, A/C fan, radiator). The car is in immaculate shape, and when I say that I mean it. I have looked at several M3's from 95-99, and not a single one was as clean as this one! There were hardly any, if at all, creases in the leather (not vader seats). Its a single owner car, they owner is probably in his 60's. It needs absolutely nothing as far as parts or repairs. Even all the pixels are working! Honestly the only thing holding me back is the "salvage title."
Can anyone think of any reason why I shouldn't buy it?
He is asking $9k for it... If it didn't have a salvage title it would be worth $15k no question.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
E36 M3 in U.S. form with autotragic is a girly car.

E36 M3's in that price range are steaming piles of dog excrement, and most are wrecked and not taken care of at all.

I personally wouldn't waste my time on those, not when E46 M3's are so cheap nowadays.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond repute
That car is worth 7 at best. Don't waste your time on an auto. Buy my 5 speed M3/4/5.

^Shows what you know. $9k in the E36 ///M market buys you a clean 97+ w/ records.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
The only thing that should be holding you back is that auto trans.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
As the owner of a 1999 M3, and 3 other e36s before it, I must urge you to walk away.

$9k for a car with a Salvage is far too high. No, that car will not fetch $15k these days. As tempting as this may seem, you will likely regret it.

I actually owned a salvaged e36 at one time under the same premises as you. But, over time this car was a nightmare. As great as the repairs seem, the car will never be the same- trust me. This is one of the best handling cars of the 1990's. Suspension geometry is everything with these cars. I urge you to drive other clean examples in a spirited manner and you will notice.

Also, the autotragic variants are SLOW. It is not even close to the 5 speed.

I assure you clean e36 M3's, with records, and unjaded histories go for $8-11k all day. I got my '99 with 67k miles, rare color combo, all options, and a good history for $8900 two years ago.

I suggest you check the BMW Rondell (sp) classifieds and bimmerforums.com. Broaden your search a bit. It will pay off. I cannot think of a worse combo than automatic + salvage.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Teamspeed Member
Paperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the roughPaperbill is a jewel in the rough
Yes, get a stick, more fun to drive and muce more reliable

Old 11-08-2010, 10:55 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MiniD
That car is worth 7 at best. Don't waste your time on an auto. Buy my 5 speed M3/4/5.

^Shows what you know. $9k in the E36 ///M market buys you a clean 97+ w/ records.
I have had two E36 M3's.

Turnkey for 9K, I find that hard to believe.

At this mileage and age, we are looking at radiator, water pump, rear shock mount, all bushings, guibo, shocks, etc.

These cars are 20K cars when all is said and done. I just want people to know.

It's like the people who paid 4K for their E30 and ended up spending easily double that to get it to turnkey driveability and reliability.

Budget 20K.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
Stuka, I respect you, but believe $20k is a gross overstatement. Like I said, I currently own a '99 and have had 3 other e36's over the years.

Perhaps better advice is to grab a car just after it has received the necessary suspension and cooling maintenance... usually ~100k. The 85-90k mile mark is when you should look at rear shock mounts, radiator, water pump, t-stat, control arms, etc.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:46 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Spartacus has a spectacular aura aboutSpartacus has a spectacular aura aboutSpartacus has a spectacular aura aboutSpartacus has a spectacular aura aboutSpartacus has a spectacular aura aboutSpartacus has a spectacular aura aboutSpartacus has a spectacular aura aboutSpartacus has a spectacular aura aboutSpartacus has a spectacular aura aboutSpartacus has a spectacular aura aboutSpartacus has a spectacular aura about
I was thinking about offering him $7k for it, but I didn't want to offend him. And because I don't really know a lot about these cars (yet) I thought $8k was pretty reasonable... Oh well, looks like I better save my money or buy a cheap 328i... I was thinking about a 530i sport though... Oh well.

I just thought these cars were supposed to be one of BMW's greatest productions?

Thanks for the input, it is most helpful and appreciated. Im new to BMW's so everything is a learning experience right now.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:52 AM
Teamspeed Pro
03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute
Good advise from the guys! you're better off buying something solid rather than a money pit.

Search this Thread