Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

BMW Driver Training (Perfection Level)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
NoSubs will become famous soon enoughNoSubs will become famous soon enoughNoSubs will become famous soon enoughNoSubs will become famous soon enoughNoSubs will become famous soon enoughNoSubs will become famous soon enoughNoSubs will become famous soon enough
BMW Driver Training (Perfection Level)

I went to BMW Driver Training with a friend today, it was a ton of fun. About a year ago we completed the Advanced level and so we went back to do the perfection level. Had an awesome time!

Here is a video of a couple of my laps around an autocross course at the end of the day, almost nailed a goose in the first one!

I didn't hit any cones in either, but the second video is when I have cleaner lines/braking, etc. The first one I was pushing it a bit too much. On both you can see an area of the track that I take very slowly before a long straight, it is very easy to hit a cone there (3 second penalty) so I was playing it safe.

Also, I should have started the long straight in first gear, but I was leaving it in second because the instructors were saying you could basically do the whole course in second. Probably cost me a little bit of time, but my fastest lap put me 4th out of 12 drivers today, so not bad.

The day started with about 45 minutes of in class technical, more of a high level review what we covered in the Advanced course.

Then it was into the new 2011 twin scroll 335i coupes for a few warm up drills. The first was a lane change drill where you practiced quick lane changes and braking with and without ABS/Traction Control/Stability, etc. Then there was a drill which involved braking while cornering. Sort of trail braking but the idea was to come to a complete stop, as if you came around a corner and saw a moose and braked instead of changing lanes. Again with and without the assists.

This was followed by a tasty lunch, and then M3's came out for the second half of the day. We practiced braking for an autocross corner (brake, turn, accelerate) at speeds of up to 100 km/h. Also sustained oversteering (i.e. drifting), slalom, and then the little circuit you can see in the videos below.

YouTube - BMW Driver Training
YouTube - BMW Driver Training 2

The new twin scroll 335i was great, I found the throttle response to be a bit quicker when compared to the twin turbo 335i I had driven at the Advanced level last year. However, I drove the automatic last year and manual this year, so that could contribute to the difference I noticed. Either way bother were quite torquey! Of course the M3 was amazing, no complaints.

Tons of fun.

Last edited by NoSubs; 07-17-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:27 PM
TS BMW Forums
mtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for sharing your experience! BMW offers some great clinics if you want to improve your driving skills. On Sat, I attended the M driving school in Spartanburg, SC. I was in second heaven being around 100s of BMWs. I couldn't believe how much one can learn about proper car control. I'm going to post my story shortly. My instructor has been up to Canada to teach some of the clinics. The M3 has razor sharp handling. Such a weapon on the track!