Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

No Z4 'M' due to Credit Crunch

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
No Z4 'M' due to Credit Crunch

PistonHeads Headlines

BMW has canned proposals to introduce a hot M-badged version of its latest Z4 metal-roofed roadster.

You guessed it, the credit crunch gets the blame for a decision that’s being widely reported around the web today, with a reports of an unnamed BMW spokesman stating the economic crisis leaves ‘no business case for a full-on M version of the Z4’.

While the previous Z4 M offered performance on a par with Porsche’s Boxster S thanks to

a 330bhp engine shared with the BMW M3, customers wanting significant extra performance from the latest E89 series Z4s – currently offered with up to 303bhp from its twin-turbo six - will likely have to pursue the aftermarket tuning route.

However all is not lost for fans of the M badge, as BMW is reportedly considering an ‘M Sport’ package that will include body parts, bigger alloy wheels, suspension tweaks – and a 20bhp ECU upgrade lifting engine output to 326bhp.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
I'm guessing the M boys took one look at it and decided they couldn't M up a tank.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Simba
I'm guessing the M boys took one look at it and decided they couldn't M up a tank.
They were apparently able to M up the X5/6 just fine...

No excuses, imo. The previous Z4 M was one of the coolest roadsters (and the coupe was INCREDIBLE!) on the road and the new Z4 looks even better! I think the only reason they pulled the plug on this idea is because they couldn't fit the M3's 4.0L V8 under the hood and they haven't finished the engine for any possible 1-Series M yet.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Suareezay is an unknown quantity at this point
I was really crossing my fingers for another M coupe. Wishful thinking.