Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

Couple of questions on E46 M3s

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009 | 06:06 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
mkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond repute
Another idea, have you thought about an S2000? I know it's not the best for midwest winters, but you can go a long way with your budget.

Old 02-24-2009 | 06:06 PM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
M3's vary remarkably from car to car.

You can have 2 identical cars ( mileage etc ) sitting side by side, take them both for a drive and 1 will feel " tighter " than the other, can almost guarantee it.

Make sure you drive them, carfax won't tell you the true state of the car.

Old 02-24-2009 | 06:07 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Craigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond repute
Nav is overrated now with the universal availability of GPS/internet on Cell phones.

good choice on the Silver with red or black and saddle interiors though.

I envy you on driving cross country for the pickup.
I would come with you if I didn't sign a contract for a job up north starting late may
Cheers.

Old 02-24-2009 | 06:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Disclaimer: I haven't read any replies to this thread.

Don't worry about the NAV. First off, it's a dated system in that car. Second, it will seem pretty much useless and ridiculous as your ownership moves along and it ages even more. Lastly, it is just one more electronic piece to break or need fixing.

As to the drive home, I don't see anything wrong with that. It will be a great time to log some fun miles and get to know the car. I mean, you are buying it to drive it, right?

A little suggestion about your color choices. Don't be too picky, it isn't worth walking away from a great example because of nit picky color preferences. Obviously, you're going to have a few colors or combinations you just couldn't enjoy at all. But, if I were in your shoes, I'd be pretty open (after all, the E46 M3 looks good in almost any color).

Finally, don't be hesitant putting in some offers on cars you feel may be out of your price range. It's a buyers market, and I think you'd be surprised what selling parties may accept, or at least consider.

Old 02-24-2009 | 06:39 PM
|
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the great feedback so quickly guys! Sounds like I won't waste my time on Nav. The main thing I'm concerned about at this point is buying a car sight unseen. I've been looking for M3s locally and since not many people in the area have them, they're tough to come across in nice condition since the MN winters definitely take a toll but I'm not sure I'll be staying in MN after I graduate this May anyway. I've been looking for west coast cars in particular since they enjoy the best weather and are usually well taken care of. Another thing I noticed is that M3s are a lot more common out on the east and west coasts so prices are a bit lower compared to similar cars in the Midwest. I'm leaning towards a west coast car because the drive back will be a lot more fun and as a photographer, I'd love to stop at Yellowstone or other cool places to take pics on the way back. Driving through the Rockies would be incredible too!

As for being picky about colors, I don't want something too flashy that will draw a lot of attention to myself (so no Imola Red, Phoenix Yellow, or Laguna Seca Blue) but I still want the car to feel exciting from the cockpit even when I'm not pushing it which is why I prefer the bright interior colors. I'd also consider black with the M cloth inserts as well.

Oh, and I'm trying to avoid 'verts just because I think they're for hairdressers and people like LABrit.

Old 02-24-2009 | 06:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
I suppose you are not in the same awesomeness league as me, so i understand why you would shy away from a vert but be warned - there's no better way to experience a vehicle than with the roof down.

Old 02-24-2009 | 06:56 PM
|
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LABrit
I suppose you are not in the same awesomeness league as me, so i understand why you would shy away from a vert but be warned - there's no better way to experience a vehicle than with the roof down.
That's true, Josh. It's hard to be as incredibly awesome as you, despite how hard I try.

But, if I ever buy a 'vert, there is only one option: Miata.

Old 02-24-2009 | 07:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
That's true, Josh. It's hard to be as incredibly awesome as you, despite how hard I try.

But, if I ever buy a 'vert, there is only one option: Miata.
Had one of them for 2 months before i came out to the US - it's nothing compared to the S2000.

Old 02-24-2009 | 07:22 PM
|
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by LABrit
Had one of them for 2 months before i came out to the US - it's nothing compared to the S2000.
Well, if I move out to CA, maybe I'll consider an S2K then...

But in the meantime, 'vert + winter = frigid death.

Old 02-24-2009 | 07:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Over the last three years I'd say the S2000 was the car i had the most fun with, the 335 the best DD and the 997 the nicest car i've owned.

Make sure you don't end up buying a car from the West Coast only having to drive it back again if you get a job out here after you get it home.

Also if you want some friendly advice - don't get a nice car until you have a job sorted out and have been in the job for at least three months. Make your money work for you and don't work for your money.

Quick Reply: Couple of questions on E46 M3s