Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

BMW S54 M Inline-Six Retires

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 08:06 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post BMW S54 M Inline-Six Retires

BMW retires classic 3.2 liter inline six-cylinder engine
BMW has retired its classic 3.2 liter inline six-cylinder engine.
The powerplant, known as the S54B32 amongst BMW engineers and automotive purists, powered the last generation Z4 M Roadster and Coupe, the M3 (E46) and a several earlier generation Z3 M Roadster and Coupes too. The 3.2 liter engine distinguished itself as a naturally aspirated straight-six churning out 343 hp - more than 100 hp per liter without any artificial induction. That simplicity and artfulness of engineering made the engine renowned for its steady levels of torque across the rev band.

One should always be weary when an automaker phases-out a classic product and replaces it with the new and unproven. How many times has a manufacturer messed up the process of renewal and actually taken a product line a few steps back? After all, this engine won the International Engine of the Year award upon its introduction in 2001 as well as winning the 3.0 to 4.0 liter category for six consecutive years between 2001 and 2006. But this is BMW and maybe a little trust is warranted. They don't usually leap blindly into the marketplace with under-developed products, especially engines.

The S54B32 will be replaced in the Z4 by other inline six-bangers, including a 2.5 liter, 201 hp and a twin-turbo 3.0 liter with 302 hp. Let's hope those powerplants come packed with the same kind of supple sizzle.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:50 AM
Teamspeed Pro
tractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond repute
Price on S54 M Coupe's just went up again.

What an excellent motor.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:11 AM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Damn. Glad I got one before they killed it. Probably the best NA straight six I've ever owned.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:50 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
IMPORTIMAGE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!IMPORTIMAGE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!IMPORTIMAGE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!IMPORTIMAGE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!IMPORTIMAGE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!IMPORTIMAGE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!IMPORTIMAGE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!IMPORTIMAGE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!IMPORTIMAGE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!IMPORTIMAGE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!IMPORTIMAGE You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
bye bye torquless rev-happy wonder, thank god for the new v8 (yes i have owned some bmw 6 cylinders...including the us e-36 m3 + the eurospec 3.2...good motors but a high reving v8 is much nicer)

Old 12-31-2008, 12:06 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IMPORTIMAGE
bye bye torquless rev-happy wonder, thank god for the new v8 (yes i have owned some bmw 6 cylinders...including the us e-36 m3 + the eurospec 3.2...good motors but a high reving v8 is much nicer)
While the S54 isn't as torquey as the new v8, I would harldy call this engine a torqueless wonder. It's got 269lb/ft of torque which is a lot for an engine of this size. I rarely have to get into the high rev ranges in everyday driving.

I think the term torqueless rev-happy wonder is more fitting of a some honda engines such as the 2.0 liter in the original S2000.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
AudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ajs887
While the S54 isn't as torquey as the new v8, I would harldy call this engine a torqueless wonder. It's got 269lb/ft of torque which is a lot for an engine of this size. I rarely have to get into the high rev ranges in everyday driving.

I think the term torqueless rev-happy wonder is more fitting of a some honda engines such as the 2.0 liter in the original S2000.
Agreed

Old 12-31-2008, 03:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ajs887

Agreed. The only gripe I had with this motor is its pitch and soundtrack. It really didn't have the sound that I wanted coming out of the rear. To me, it made an exhaust upgrade a necessity.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:11 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Bluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond repute
The S54 is an amazing engine. Its a true shame to see it retire .

Old 12-31-2008, 04:35 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
The Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond repute
RIP to the engine that powered my very first sportscar!!

Old 12-31-2008, 07:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bluestrike2
The S54 is an amazing engine. Its a true shame to see it retire .
Do you like the sound of your M3 Tom?

Quick Reply: BMW S54 M Inline-Six Retires