Notices
///M BMW's Motorsport Inspired Road Cars Discussion Forum.
Powered by CARiD.com

New M3: DCT or Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
New M3: DCT or Manual?

I'm thinking about trading in my Mini for a new M3. I can't decide if I should get the DCT or just save the extra money and go with the stick. I drove a stick sedan this past Saturday and loved it. Looking for feedback on DCT. Is it worth it? Thanks.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Teamspeed Member
TiSiBeast will become famous soon enoughTiSiBeast will become famous soon enoughTiSiBeast will become famous soon enoughTiSiBeast will become famous soon enoughTiSiBeast will become famous soon enoughTiSiBeast will become famous soon enoughTiSiBeast will become famous soon enoughTiSiBeast will become famous soon enoughTiSiBeast will become famous soon enoughTiSiBeast will become famous soon enough
MANUAL! I hate SMG or any iteration of it. I know a good number of people with SMG and SMG variants, long term no one is happy with it. In addition you have the added complexity and cost and potential issues. My buddy has an E60 that has had multiple Red Cogs. He has already decided his next car will be a 6 speed.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond repute
Manual, Ara.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
I'm also leaning towards manual, but it's tough to find a highly optioned car with the manual. Seems like most of the high option cars are DCT.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:11 PM
Teamspeed Member
TiSiBeast will become famous soon enoughTiSiBeast will become famous soon enoughTiSiBeast will become famous soon enoughTiSiBeast will become famous soon enoughTiSiBeast will become famous soon enoughTiSiBeast will become famous soon enoughTiSiBeast will become famous soon enoughTiSiBeast will become famous soon enoughTiSiBeast will become famous soon enoughTiSiBeast will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Ara
I'm also leaning towards manual, but it's tough to find a highly optioned car with the manual. Seems like most of the high option cars are DCT.
Don't settle for DCT, you will regret it.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:20 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
MANUAL! And don't get a sunroof.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ya, the carbon roof is a must. I just found out the DCT is 7 speed. That may change things a bit. I have to go drive one I guess. Plus the car I found that I really like is a White/Red DCT car.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
The carbon roof is such a gimmick (albeit cool). I can't remember the exact numbers but if you're a fatty (and i've met you to say you're not) you would defeat the purpose of the weight savings (though the center of gravity is lower correct?)

Test drive both. I'm extremely happy with my Steptronic in the 335, the DCT is probably even better.

Sure you don't just want a 335 coupe to modify? From things i have read it's a much nicer DD due to the tq. over the M3.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:24 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Josh, it's not so much the weight savings for me a the aesthetics of the car. I love the contrast of the carbon roof against the lighter color cars such as white and silverstone. We just got a 335 sedan and while I do love it, the M3 I drove was more "me." Plus, if I get a 335, I probably wont be able to stop modding it and I really want to drive a stock car. Once I start modding, it is a never ending thing. Im going to try to make it to BMW Beverly Hills to drive a DCT car, if they let me.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
Ha, go to center bmw or southbay - much better to deal with.

I agree - the M3 looks nicer with a carbon roof on say white and the 335 does make you want to modify it.

Quick Reply: New M3: DCT or Manual?