Notices
Japanese Speed Nissan GT-R, Lexus LFA, 370Z, NSX, Supra, & More Discussion Forum

New NSX To Be Made in The USA

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 01:18 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post New NSX To Be Made in The USA

Name:  Acura-NSX-Concept-front-three-quarter.jpg
Views: 1870
Size:  145.5 KB

New NSX To Be Made in The USA
Acura announces production site and global chief engineer for the NSX

Acura today announced that the all-new NSX supercar will be produced at a new Performance Manufacturing Center in Ohio, a $70 million advanced production facility encompassing 184,000 square feet to be housed inside Honda's former North American Logistics facility and located in the midst of Honda's existing R&D and production engineering operations.

The site for the new production facility, which will be Honda's third auto plant in Ohio, is only a few miles from the Honda R&D Americas, Inc. Ohio Center that is engineering the supercar for production and adjacent to Honda of America Mfg.'s Marysville Auto Plant. The Performance Manufacturing Center also is close to Honda Engineering North America, Inc., center for the development of new production technologies.

A part of Honda of America, the Performance Manufacturing Center will be a unique manufacturing operation that will employ approximately 100 highly skilled manufacturing associates drawn from within Honda's existing operations in Ohio. In addition, associates at Honda's engine plant in Anna, Ohio, will assemble the NSX powertrain.

"Thirty years ago, building cars in America was a big dream. Working together, here in Ohio and across North America we turned this dream into reality," said Hidenobu Iwata, president & CEO of Honda of America and the head of Honda's manufacturing operations in North America. "The location of this facility is in the midst of one of the greatest collections of engineering and production talent in the world. So it makes sense that we will renew the dream and build this high-tech, supercar in Marysville, Ohio."

In addition to the plant location, Honda announced that Honda R&D Americas chief engineer Ted Klaus is leading the global team developing the new NSX, and Clement D' Souza, associate chief engineer at Honda of America, is leading the team that will bring NSX to mass production in 2015.

"This new plant will be as unique as the vehicle we will build here," said D'Souza. "In creating the plan for this plant, we looked closely at each process and determined the perfect blend of associate craftsmanship and technology to adopt a new approach to manufacturing."

The Acura NSX Concept was on display at the event, attended by local community and government leaders, including Ohio Governor John Kasich, showcasing the NSX's low and wide stance that will help fulfill the Acura brand product direction centered on the synergy between man and machine.

The new NSX is being developed by a global R&D team led by designers and engineers at Honda R&D Americas, Inc. located in Los Angeles, Calif., and Raymond, Ohio. The NSX will feature a unique powertrain and body structure to provide an incredible driving experience. It will be powered by a mid-mounted V-6 engine mated to Acura's innovative new Sport Hybrid SH-AWD (Super Handling All Wheel Drive) system.

"We have a very clear understanding of the high customer expectations luxury buyers around the world have for a supercar, and our challenge is to exceed them and create new value for the customer," said Klaus. "This new Performance Manufacturing Center will be key to this challenge."

Once selected, the team of production associates at the Performance Manufacturing Center will begin training and establishing manufacturing processes that will be used to build the all-new NSX. The next generation NSX will be built exclusively at the all-new Performance Manufacturing Center. In addition to being sold in North America, the NSX will be exported to customers throughout the world.

Source [Honda]

Old 05-14-2013, 09:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond reputeGTCole has a reputation beyond repute
Don't like the wheels. Car isn't all that bad. Sorta a cross between an R8 and a Lambo. Wonder if they make it gutless.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:08 AM
Teamspeed Pro
djantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond repute
Fail. I can't think of any quality made supercar made in USA. Vette and viper are both great cars but neither are sophisticated and spell quality.

Also, Japanese yen is weak, which makes more sense to make nsx in Japan and import to USA.

Acura has been behind ever since late 90s. It is just a poorly managed brand followed by bad execution. This car and decision show it.

Last edited by djantlive; 05-17-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:47 AM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by djantlive
Fail. I can't think of any quality made supercar made in USA. Vette and viper are both great cars but neither are sophisticated and spell quality.

Also, Japanese yen is weak, which makes more sense to make nsx in Japan and import to USA.

Acura has been behind ever since late 90s. It is just a poorly managed brand followed by bad execution. This car and decision show it.
So you think this exact same car in these exact circumstances would have better build quality if built in Japan over the states?

I disagree. The vette is a GM and that has not meant quality previously (maybe save for the newest models) but I'm still not a GM fan. Same goes for Chrysler. But the newest gen Viper is supposed to be really nice. I haven't seen one in person, so I can't comment on it personally.

Honda makes great cars and has for years and years. The quality is very good. Styling and power aside, I don't think the build quality will suffer just from being made here. The Toyota Camry is built in the states and has a great fit and finish. I'm looking forward to seeing it and hope they give it at least 400hp.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Teamspeed Pro
parealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond repute
interesting decision by acura. Im sure the build quality will be comprable to that of Japan. No union BS to deal with

Old 05-23-2013, 12:14 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Blue Batmobile is an unknown quantity at this point
cheaper labor in the U.S...

B@t™

Old 05-23-2013, 08:47 AM
Teamspeed Pro
djantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by quickZohsix
So you think this exact same car in these exact circumstances would have better build quality if built in Japan over the states?

I disagree. The vette is a GM and that has not meant quality previously (maybe save for the newest models) but I'm still not a GM fan. Same goes for Chrysler. But the newest gen Viper is supposed to be really nice. I haven't seen one in person, so I can't comment on it personally.

Honda makes great cars and has for years and years. The quality is very good. Styling and power aside, I don't think the build quality will suffer just from being made here. The Toyota Camry is built in the states and has a great fit and finish. I'm looking forward to seeing it and hope they give it at least 400hp.
Let's be honest, neither vette or viper are associated with quality and refinement. Compare to Ferrari, Lambo, Aston martin, amg, porsche, American cars are subpar in fit and finish. Some of that is bc they are cheaper priced and offer bang for the buck performance. But I think American made is part of that equation. Nsx is not going to be a lower priced car as far as I know. It's not cheaper than a Nissan gtr. So it is a bad move to position a high price car with origin associated with value and less quality. Imagine if the ridiculously high priced lfa were made in Ohio.

As I said, Japanese yen is depreciating. It isn't going to be more expensive to make it in japan. All else equal, I think a Japanese made nsx is much better than an Ohio made nsx.