Notices
Japanese Speed Nissan GT-R, Lexus LFA, 370Z, NSX, Supra, & More Discussion Forum

Gtr Vs Slr 722 - Vid Clip Included

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 04:07 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post Gtr Vs Slr 722 - Vid Clip Included

From Ben on a UK forum:
"Yesterday I was invited down by my friend / customer at Mclaren to have a tour of their world class building & facilities. Meet the team, have a bit of lunch, then take a short trip down to dunsfold park to have a go in a 1.2million $ SLR 722. So i thought to add to the above mouth watering experience, i might as well take the GTR for some free track time at dunsfold.

So i fire up the GTR and start the 1 hour journey to Woking. Traffic was slow on the M1, and as expected the GTR was getting alot of attention, as it always does going anywhere. Literately every one in three cars drivers/passengers would either stare, give the thumps up, mime to me 'nice car'. Motorbike riders usually just nod at me. I'm not even going to mention the reaction it gets with girls.

I've been really privaliged to have visited some amazing places in the automotive world, but for me nothing comes close to the Mclaren Technical centre. Its simply mind blowing. The vision, structure, set up, philosphy, everything it does and the way it does it.
From the on going development of road cars, to the development of f1 cars and drivers. Everything is so well in place. Keep an eye out for the next youngster to soon hit F1 Bruno Senna, currently in F3 / GP2.

Sadly i wasn't allowed to take photo's inside (though i did but can't post here) or even reveal too much. In any case no photo could do the building, f1 and slr build ups, and wind tunnel facilities justice. But here is a cool youtube vid.

YouTube - McLaren technology center

Got to see the Mclaren GTR LM cars, which havn't turned a wheel in ten years. Unlike Ferrari, Ron Dennis doesn't sell anything and stores even the smallest used F1 parts rather than auction them off.

I also can't confirm about the secret race track underneath their lake.
Next up head off to Dunsfold which is a 30 min drive away. We pass though Guildford town centre, and again the GTR draws a crowd. A pretty funny moment when we come to a traffic lights to turn left. In front of me is a ferrari with a white van to the side of him. The guy in the ferrari is speaking to the guy in the van, next thing the guy in the van clocks the GTR and points at it and they both keep staring until i drive off.

The SLR is a really special piece of kit, its massive, heavy and didn't have as much trick technology as i imagined it would have. GTR has way more.
Lots of cooling at the front, more so than the GTR. The front is so long, from the driver's position to the end of the car is the same length as a whole mini. Dripping with carbon, as in made in England carbon. As you'd expect a 1.2 mil $ car to have. Start her up and the sound of the V8 supercharged engine is brutal, very American muscle car sounding. I launch the SLR and it takes off well, has an open diff which was again surprised to hear.

I drove both my GTR and the SLR round the full TG track. The GTR was really good at getting the power down into the slow corners, very stable under braking, the gtr's diff set up allowed it to turn into the tight corners very well, compared to the SLR which tended to get the power down then understeer on. Bascally each car was better than the other in certain sections of the circuit. Incredable now different the two cars are, but share one similarity

I know the times of both cars, as driven by myself and also by a pro driver who i'm told was once the 'stig' and his times will be very accurate to when TG tests a GTR. But i'm not going to reveal the times as not to spoil it.

I also had a blast at a top speed run in my GTR, sadly i didn't get time in the SLR which is capable of 240mph top speed !
Over the 1.2 mile airstrip i recorded 170mph. I think i could have done slightly more and know the brakes would have stoped me going into the cones. Its true what they say about you can have a conversation while doing high speeds or in my case listen to my renaissance CD.

These cars weren't the only thing being tested there was also some old plane i have no idea the make of. It actually took off and more surprisingly actually landed again ! we thought the worse.

I've had my GTR for just over two months now and she hasn't missed a beat, no issues, no lights on the dash just pure driving pleasure. I know some people seem worried about the box, but just think now much they are taking from Amuse, Mines, HKS, Sunline etc.. at 600bhp. Also think about the journo's in Germany and USA who have been giving the press cars non stop use, autocar quoted it will take it all day long.

Given the choice of going home with either the GTR or the SLR there would be one winner, and i don't just say that as i have JDM blood running though me."

Ben on behalf of the new ultimate GT-R home thanks so much for sharing this with the world!

Old 05-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Chris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond repute
Cool article, it makes me even more interested in the GTR.

Can't wait to start seeing these things hopping up around town.