Notices
Japanese Speed Nissan GT-R, Lexus LFA, 370Z, NSX, Supra, & More Discussion Forum

SWITZER GT-R | value for money

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Banned
Jo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond repute
SWITZER GT-R | value for money

Hello, all -
I've recently been told by a number of customers that the general opinion of our Switzer P700 and P800 kits is that "the kits are excellent, but you can build something similar for less money."

It would be easy to stand behind the quality of the Switzer product and explain how our turbos are thoroughly re-engineered, how the stock housings are machined and the latest technology was used to create an application-specific wheel that produced great dyno numbers and stellar real-world performance as well - you won't find any 20 year old turbo technology here! I could also point how Switzer's custom silicon hose kits, machined aluminum MAF housings, and laser-cut, precision-fit intercooler end-tanks make installation easier while delivering a superior, "finished" look, and then talk about our state-of-the-art intercooler cores, which are almost twice as thick as stock while offering superior flow and minimal pressure drop across the cores. I could mention the superior performance numbers and excellent reliability reports from real customers around the world ... but that's not the point of this post.

See, talking about the superior quality of our Switzer components doesn't address the value proposition made by the "you can build something similar for less" statement, above. Everyone knows higher-quality materials cost more - there's nothing novel about that. What I'd like to do here is show you some of the obvious and less-than-obvious ways that these superior-quality products deliver EXCEPTIONAL TOTAL VALUE.

I'll start by posting a typical work estimate for our P700 emissions-compliant performance PKG (attached).

For the record: anyone can simply call in and get that price for a fully installed P700 PKG. Simple. Easy. As you can see, the price of the kit is $16650. As many of you know from Bullo, DonKing, etc., this is a comprehensive tuning package that includes our Switzer MONSTER intercoolers, aluminum intercooler plumbing w/ custom-designed TiAL aluminum BOVs, our own MAF housings and high-flow intake, fuel system upgrades, and Switzer-specific upgraded turbochargers with high-pressure actuators, among other things. This package was designed as a total system, and each part was designed and built to compliment the unique performance attributes of the others, stacking feature upon benefit such that the end result is greater than the sum of its parts.

One benefit of the Switzer package, then, is that it is A COMPLETE SOLUTION from one manufacturer. Sure, you can get the "Brand X" intercooler and turbos and "Brand Y" BOVs and such and try to make a custom tune, but if something goes wrong you'll have one manufacturer pointing the finger at the other and you and your installer will be caught in the middle trying to diagnose what is, essentially, a 1-off car. This may save you some money on parts, but it could cost you a significant number of diagnostic hours down the road. I think that's obvious.

Another benefit that may not be so obvious, however, is this: not only does each component function in a way that is complimentary to each of the other components, but every component was DESIGNED TO FIT with every other component, making installation and final tuning easier and more straightforward than what is ultimately possible when mixing and matching parts. This allows the technicians here at Switzer to install the P700 PKG in about 20 hours, and also serves to make installing our kits easier and safer for our customers around the world. Simply: the need to fabricate connections and brackets for two components that were never designed to work together so that they fit and function properly takes time ... and every shop bills for time.

For sure, the end results may look great and everything will probably work the way it was intended, but those extra hours spent making everything fit can add up ... and we haven't even begun to talk about additional dyno and custom tuning time to tie all these different components together!

I think you're beginning to see what I'm getting at: while some options may seem less expensive, initially, any "savings" you realize can quickly get eaten up by labor and tuning costs required to make a one-off collection of piecemeal parts work properly ... and even then, who stands behind the finished product? Is it "Brand X" that you bought an intercooler from? "Brand Y" you bought turbos from? Is it the installer?

I think I've made my point - and I want to sincerely thank those of you who have been in contact with me these past few days who were open enough to discuss what you were being told, and patient enough to consider all of your alternatives carefully. You know who you are, and I know you'll enjoy your P800s.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
P700_est-1.pdf (39.2 KB, 98 views)
Old 11-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Banned
Jo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond repute
Winter Special ...

Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
AudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond repute
isn't the stock exhaust too restrictive for your P700 kit?

Very aggressive price imo.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
pinoyamg is a name known to allpinoyamg is a name known to allpinoyamg is a name known to allpinoyamg is a name known to allpinoyamg is a name known to allpinoyamg is a name known to allpinoyamg is a name known to allpinoyamg is a name known to allpinoyamg is a name known to allpinoyamg is a name known to allpinoyamg is a name known to all
Your russian customer is doing a great job advertising for you! I'm impressed. If I decide on a gtr, it'll be on a transport your way before It hits my drive way.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:38 AM
Former Sponsor
Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Mike@AwdMotorsports You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Switzer Knows Quality.. You get what you pay for with their parts.. Certainly much of it is R&D and not just physical parts prices.. We may pickup a GTR shortly and i wont hesitate to market switzer parts...

Mike